Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Load DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: Lee 2 cavity .452-228-1R mold

Boolit Buddy

Lee 2 cavity .452-228-1R mold

Recently purchased this mold and the very first time I used it, it developed a problem. I had cast about 200 bullets with it when a small splinter of aluminum broke off between the cavities. It reaches into the front cavity and stops before going into the back cavity leaving a fin on the front bullet. I contacted Lee about the problem and was told that my only recourse was to send them a picture of the problem, the receipt, and pay half of the suggested retail price and have the mold replaced. Half of the MSRP is $22.50. It's not that big of a deal but I didn't expect the mold to fail on the first usage. So much for the 2-year warranty.
    I know that Lee products aren't in line with some of the other brands, but jeez, they won't even stand behind their product after an immediate problem.

Thanks Lee - a real fine example of a first-rate American company!
    Rant off. Please return to your regular scheduled programming.
    Dennis

Moderator Emeritus

If you purchased this mold new from Titan or FSreloading or another Lee "Master Distributor", then you should contact them first.

Otherwise, I would use the "Contact us" option on Lee's website.
    Explain the problem, state that it happened during first casting session.
    include photo of mold and close up of splinter area
    include photo image of receipt/invoice.
    I bet you'll be surprised by the results.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Hey, long time no see, how you been? Sorry to hear about this. I've less than great customer service from Lee as well, but nothing like what you describe.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Grand Master

That answer from Lee just doesn't sound right ... call them up and talk to a rep. if you get the runaround ... ask to speak to their boss (everybody serves somebody) and talk to them . I was given the runaround once about a defective product but the persons Boss took care of my problem ASAP and apoligized for the rep's response .
    A business needs satisfied customers and repeat business ... some "workers" don't get it but the Boss usually does .
    Good luck ... a replacement should be a no brainer and it should be sent to you "no charge" !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    Well finally after talking to a few people, I finally had to send the mold back and they sent me a new one. It arrived today.
    Seems like alot of hoops to jump thru.
    Dennis

I had some hoops when I purchased a new .452 sizing die a while back. It had a big gouge on the inside. They refused to take my word for it without seeing a picture. So I took a pic and they refused to send me another die before I returned the old one. I wanted them to send one so they would cross in the mail.

I had an experience with a Lee mould, that cast oblong and undersized bullets. I purchased it off ebay new from a vendor. Well, the guy at Lee said "we don't sell on ebay". I ended up going a round or two with him over it and they said they would replace it if I sent it back, but I'd have to pay shipping. I ended up getting the dealer to replace it for me.

That said, I love Lee moulds when they work. Some of their bullets are very accurate and cast easy. I use a lot of Lee products, including a press, powder measure, and magnum melter.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Buddy
    I'm not a fan of Lee equipment, but I do have some of their products.
    I have 1 set of pistol dies, about 20 different bullet molds, and about 7-8 Factory Crimp Dies.
    Dennis

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by sealer View Post
    Well finally after talking to a few people, I finally had to send the mold back and they sent me a new one. It arrived today.
    Seems like alot of hoops to jump thru.
    Dennis
    Awesome !!!

I know sending it back was a pain but if it got you a replacement ...
    It was worth it .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"