Titan ReloadingWidenersLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: Henry 44mag 240gr LRN Rifle Load Data

Boolit Bub

Henry 44mag 240gr LRN Rifle Load Data

I have been struggling to find 44mag rifle load data. I have been reloading cast boolits for my 5" revolver for years and have really only been using JHP in my 20" rifle for the past year, but wanted to start trying some LRN boolits. My Henry Big Boy hated LSWC, and could not cycle them well. Can anyone share the LRN results/recipes you've had/used in your lever action? For that matter, is 240 the best weight, or go heavier? Some of the powders I've used for 44mag have been H110, IMR4227, and Enforcer.
    I've seen some say the pistol data is transferable to rifles, but not so sure about that. What say you?

Boolit Master
    You just have to try everything out. Rifle can be finicky. Proof of the taste ……. I would check your throat by either seating a jacketed bullet backwards in a partially sized case and chambering it or do a pound cast. My X has enough free bore to make Roy Weatherby jealous, almost .280 with a .429 slug. Little less if you can shoot a larger diameter. You can’t seat out like with a single shot, so if I want top notch accuracy, I need a bullet long enough to reach over that space into the pipe before the ass end leaves the case. And that means a heavier slug, I use a design of mine at 275 gr. I just use handgun data for everything I try. Then I’m not trying to make a 44 into a 444.
    Reading can provide limited education because only shooting provides YOUR answers as you tie everything together for THAT gun. The better the gun, the less you have to know / do & the more flexibility you have to achieve success.

Moderator Emeritus

Lyman 49 and Lyman castbullet handbook 4th Ed
    both have published 44 mag Rifle data.

I no longer have a 44 rifle, but I have a couple 41 rifles. Working up a successful load often is crucial to matching powder burn rate with relative boolit weight and desired speed.

FYI, my Henry BBS in 41 mag will cycle a LSWC, but the reliability window of COAL was kind of narrow.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

It'd do you well to get a copy of the Loadbooks USA 44 Magnum manual if you don't already have one. I use one for every caliber I have, except I gave the 44 Magnum away when I sold my Super Blackhawk. Need to pick me up another.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Master
    Take a look at Missouri Bullets' 240 gr. RNFP or TCFP projectiles for your Henry. Also consider buying them with their Hi-Tek coating. It could help prevent leading, though the uncoated bullets have Brinnell hardnesses of 18, which is plenty.
    The 1:38" twist rate of the Henry barrel may not mix well with bullets that weigh much more than 240-265 gr., as longer bullets tend to require quicker twist rates to stabilize well. I would also avoid true round nose bullets in the tubular magazines of most lever action rifles. The bullets I mentioned are designed to avoid the hazards presented by LRNs stacked one upon the other.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Kosh75287 View Post
    Take a look at Missouri Bullets' 240 gr. RNFP or TCFP projectiles for your Henry. Also consider buying them with their Hi-Tek coating. It could help prevent leading, though the uncoated bullets have Brinnell hardnesses of 18, which is plenty.
    The 1:38" twist rate of the Henry barrel may not mix well with bullets that weigh much more than 240-265 gr., as longer bullets tend to require quicker twist rates to stabilize well. I would also avoid true round nose bullets in the tubular magazines of most lever action rifles. The bullets I mentioned are designed to avoid the hazards presented by LRNs stacked one upon the other.
    BigBoreReloader, doesn't tell us if he has a newer Henry? like made in the last 4 to 5 years.
    Because Henry "quietly" started making all their 44 mag guns with 1:20 twist barrel.

you need to read this whole thread for correct info.
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...nry-Big-Boy-44
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    With plain based cast bullets in a .44 Mag rifle, keep velocities below about 1400 fps to avoid leading.

I load Accurate 43-240F with 20 grains of IMR4227 or 16 grains of Alliant #2400 for dual use in rifle and revolver. For rifle use exclusively 24 grains of 4198 is simply dandy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	43-240F-D.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	22.2 KB 
ID:	320941
    Last edited by Outpost75; 12-14-2023 at 02:04 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

I have a couple of Henry Big Boy's. A round nose flat point feeds best,...keep it close to 1.61" overall length SAMMI spec.

The Henry's don't feed SWC's very well.

I have a 245gr RNFN gas-check mold from Arsenal molds that works great in my Henry. I load it down a little bit to 1500 fps, using 17 gr of 2400 powder. With 20 gr of 2400 it was doing about 1780 fps, ....too much recoil, and I don't need that much for deer, as I have shot clean through numerous deer with a 1100-1200 fps. 250 gr load in .44 mag revolvers. (the Arsenal 245 RNFN with 17 gr of 2400 does about 1050 fps in my S&W 4" 44 magnum revolver).

In fact, a 240-250 gr cast boolit going about 950 fps in a .44 or .45 Colt has worked for me on deer also, with complete penetration on broadside shots.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Buddy
    I got a Henry Big Boy in 44 magnum last Yule, have been feeding it 265 grain Ranch Dogs at 1.580 COAL. My suppressor was approved, so I've been working on loading NOE's 319gr RFN nose boolit subsonic. Loading these to the rear most crimp groove gave me a COAL of 1.70. Could not get these to feed. Then the 319gr was seated to the forward crimp groove: 1.645. These could be coaxed to feed if the rifle was turned on its side, ejection port up: not satisfied. I figured that if the 265 RDs were feeding at 1.580, would the 319s feed if loaded to that length? YES!
    Looking in the Lyman 4th edition at 44 mag handgun and rifle data; powder charges for a given weight boolit are identical. Resulting velocities in the rifle are much higher in a rifle than in a handgun.
    For what it's worth I've been loading these 319s with 2400 powder. Velocities at 11.0 grains: 985 fps, 1005fps, 1011 fps, 11.2 grains: 997 fps,1025 fps, 1011fps, 11.5 grains 1013, 1051, 1061 fps.
    I chose the 265gr RDs for a couple of reasons. First, because, according to the NOE website, the Ranch Dog boolit was designed to be primarily a game boolit. My brothers have had great success using the 265 gr Hornady FTX in the 444 Marlin on south Mississippi whitetail. Why not go with the same weight in my 444. Boolits in hand, They were loaded in the 44 magnum.
    Whether or not the 240s will be best for your application, in your rifle, would best be determined by experimentation.