Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
Load DataTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWideners
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Post for a buddy, he has a Marlin 1892 32 long colt, any suggestions.

Boolit Master

Post for a buddy, he has a Marlin 1892 32 long colt, any suggestions.

He bought the rifle, with 50 rounds of ammo, made from shortened .32 s&w long it feeds them fine, but he has not had time to shoot or slug the barrel. Anyone got any bullet, load data recomendations, etc.? All feedback appreciated.

Boolit Buddy
    I’ve been shooting Marlin 92’s chambered for 32 Colt for about 6 or 8 years.

If your friends Marlin is still in its original 32 Colt chambering, handloading for it will be a bit of a trick, especially if he doesn’t have the appropriate dies (32 Colt is different dimensionally than the 32 S&W).

Dies for the 32 Colt are difficult to find and expensive when they can be had (C&H makes them but they are back ordered forever).

The bullets I use come from a vendor on Gunbroker named Tenmile.

They are the old Lyman 299135 heel based design that cast out at .298 for the heel and .314 for the ogive and weigh 88 grains.

I can’t think of anyone who makes the appropriate inside lubricated hollow based bullets so for the heel based bullets to feed (with 32 long Colt brass) the cases need to be trimmed to about .780(ish).

Tenmile’s bullets are fairly accurate out of my rifles using 2.2 grains of green dot using 32 LONG Colt cases cut down to the aforementioned .780 length and 1050 FPS (32 short Colt cases will need the charge to reduced to 1.5(ish) grains).

My handloaded 32 Long Colt round on the left, factory load on the right.

Five rounds at 100 yards off the bench:

Five rounds offhand at 50 yards:

The rifles and ammo are accurate enough for small game at ironsight ranges:

These old Marlin 92’s are neat old guns and a lot of fun to load for and shoot.

If your friend is committed to loading and shooting for his Marlin, I’m sure he will have a blast.

Moderator Emeritus

ATCDoktor nice write up. If they can ever get my back issues to the point I can sit and reload I definitely am planning on getting mine to shoot my own cast. I did do a bit when I first got her but life and my back put things on hold. Mine is the best "walking around" lever I have. Just feels right.

Old West typically has dies and molds in stock for 32 Long Colt. Give them a call, great folks to deal with.

https://oldwestbulletmoulds.com/shop...-crimp-die-set

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by koger View Post
    He bought the rifle, with 50 rounds of ammo, made from shortened .32 s&w long it feeds them fine, but he has not had time to shoot or slug the barrel. Anyone got any bullet, load data recomendations, etc.? All feedback appreciated.
    Well good and bad. Good it feeds but bad because it shouldn't. .32 S&W is 0.020" larger in diameter than .32 Colt. If .32 S&W feeds and chambers, then stick with .32 S&W brass shooting .32 Colt brass may cause it to split. I have antique ammo here that I just measured to make sure what I am talking. Maybe someone rechambered it.
    Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master
    Here is a picture of some old .32 CF

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	32s standing.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	321332

Left to right, .32 no headstamp seems to be a .32 S&W, .32 S&W, .32 SH Colt (modern RP), .32 S (outside lubricated probably .32 Short Colt), .32 LC (outside lubricated probably .32 Long Colt), .32 Long (inside lubricated probably .32 Long Colt), .32 Colt NP (pretty much the same as .32 S&W Long), .32 S&W Long.
    The 4 in the middle measure 0.316" to 0.318" in diameter, the pairs on the ends measure 0.335" to 0.337" in diameter, in the picture you can see the difference.

Tim

Boolit Master
    The headstamps if you can read them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	32 headstamps.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	11.7 KB 
ID:	321333
    Tim

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by koger View Post
    Bullets might be an issue. If it is rechambered to accept .32 S&W brass then I would just go with .32 S&W bullets and handbook data but maybe keep to starting loads or use black powder. If the brass has been sized down to .32 Colt diameter then you will either need hollow based bullets or healed bullets.

Tim

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    Bullets might be an issue. If it is rechambered to accept .32 S&W brass then I would just go with .32 S&W bullets and handbook data but maybe keep to starting loads or use black powder. If the brass has been sized down to .32 Colt diameter then you will either need hollow based bullets or healed bullets.

Tim
    Agreed, bullets are going to be the main issue I you want original 32 long colt brass. My guess would be he purchased the brass off GB from folks that turn down the 32S&W brass to fit the 32 long colt. I am always looking for the 32 long colt brass but some think it is gold so...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    Agreed, bullets are going to be the main issue I you want original 32 long colt brass. My guess would be he purchased the brass off GB from folks that turn down the 32S&W brass to fit the 32 long colt. I am always looking for the 32 long colt brass but some think it is gold so...
    Yep, could be resized brass, easy to check, I gave him the diameters/

Tim

Boolit Bub
    I have an 1892 with both firing pins. I had 150 rounds of 32 Short Colt loaded for it years ago using actual 32 Short Colt brass. Now that I’m getting into reloading, I’ve contemplated gathering up everything to load my own. I wish I had the foresight back -when I had the 32 Short Colt loaded- to seek out the 32 Long Colt

Boolit Buddy

Had a 1891 2nd. variation in .32 rf./cf. If I remember correctly used a .313 heel bullet in the shorts and a .299 hollow base inside lubed bullet in the long case. Load was 2 grs of Red Dot, or Bullseye, again, if I remember correctly. Find a old Lyman spiral bound manual from the 50's to be sure. Also the .299 HB bullet was made by NEI back in the day.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Vopie View Post
    Had a 1891 2nd. variation in .32 rf./cf. If I remember correctly used a .313 heel bullet in the shorts and a .299 hollow base inside lubed bullet in the long case. Load was 2 grs of Red Dot, or Bullseye, again, if I remember correctly. Find a old Lyman spiral bound manual from the 50's to be sure. Also the .299 HB bullet was made by NEI back in the day.
    Both the long and the short were made with either the outside lube bullet or the inside lube hollow base bullet. Examples are in my picture in this thread.
    Tim

I have a Marlin 1892 that just came with the centerfire firing pin so I bought and made brass sized down and the case head lathe cut to chamber and had a special mold for a heeled bullet.
    It worked , but to me it was too much playing around for just a plinking gun so I rechambered it to 32 S&W long . I shoot a standard 100 gr. cast round nosed bullet ahead of 2.3 grs. of green dot powder and it shoots good. I have shot other fast pistol powders and they also work, Unique would be good if you had some. OAL must be kept short enough to chamber but I don’t remember what the max is. The 1892 action is quite weak and the ammo for it should be kept to minimum loads .
    I found that to tighten up the bolt lockup you can remove the charging lever and lightly hammer the sides of the tip to make it grow a few thousands. The action is better for light rimfires but works well with low pressure 32 S&W long ammo.
    Your friends gun may hav also been rechambered if it will chamber 32 S&W brass that hasn’t been reworked to 32 Colt size.
    Jedman
    Last edited by Jedman; 01-02-2024 at 08:17 AM.