Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationWidenersReloading EverythingRepackbox
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: FINALLY took my $30 shotgun to a trap field...

Boolit Buddy

FINALLY took my $30 shotgun to a trap field...

About a year ago I bought an old Columbia single-shot of GB for just over 30, as a project. Though advertised as a 12-ga, turns out it was a 16, with a 24” barrel and a skeet choke. I’ll have to find the “as received” photo, but the stock was cracked in multiple places, the action stiff from rust (think it may have been in either a flood or out in a barn much of its life), the wood was mud-brown, and the hinge pin had been replaced with an actual hex-nut and bolt, leaving the barrel very loose. What’s worse, it had obviously been fired repeatedly in that condition, as the bolt threads were smooth/smashed in the parts that contacted the receiver and barrel.

After stripping, patching, bedding and refinishing the stock, I discovered it actually had a rather nice grain pattern. I ordered some #7 taper pins, and gently pounded one in, then cut off and filed the edges, and voila, the lockup is tight now. Also discovered that being a pre-‘29, it has 2-9/16” chambers, so I’ve had to roll my own shells after chopping the hulls to 2-1/2”. Getting it in good shape again, I spent $5 on taper pins, plus the part of the AcraGlas gel components I already had on hand.

Yesterday, I finally got to take it to the trap field (along with the first-time outing of my Stevens 520). Hit 16/35 (only had 35 shells loaded for it), so I still have some adjusting to get used to it (shot 32/40 with the Stevens). Of course, it’s only my second time to a trap field, so I have some adjusting to do anyway. Fortunately, the guy I shared the field with was also there only his second time, and he had a 20-ga CZ SxS, so we appreciated that we each were learning the sport still.

As a side note: anyone with a Stevens 520 have any tips for loading the tube? The geometry of the lifter and loading area are just...awkward...

Also, would a skeet choke be open enough to put slugs through?

Left and center: Columbia (ca. 1906?) Stevens (1939)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0EF15074-6298-4340-9363-0F7F6E771BF0.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	319848
    Better shot of the Columbia stock:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8AFC4E13-B7A1-4F98-8735-84354E0A8163.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	319849

Great project, TheAbe. And, a great post. I found everything interesting. I really enjoy trying to bring old guns back to life. My very first shotgun, which I still have, is a Ranger (Sears?) double that was likely made by Stevens. It's a 16 Ga. and as a youngster I went through a whole box of what was to me expensive shells without hitting anything! Later in life, after picking up some gunsmithing skills and tools, I learned that the chambers were 2 1/2" and the shells I had used were 2 3/4". I reamed out the chambers to the proper length and re-reamed the forcing cones. Shoots really well now. I stamped 2 3/4" on the chambers, but if I had it to do over again I'd go with custom loaded shells like you did. About your desire to shoot slugs through the choked barrel, I've read that modern slugs can be safely fired even through a Full Choke. But, if it were my gun, in respect for it's age and it not being a "name brand" like Winchester, I think I'd not do it.

DG

I suspect if you measure it you will likely find that skeet choke to be pretty much open. Perhaps not quite a cylinder bore, but close to it.

And I have shot a fair number of slugs through my Rem 870 Wingmaster 20 ga with zero issues. That has a full choke which is a lot tighter.

Nice work, enjoy!
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Buddy
    At first I had thought it had been cut down and the choke removed, but measuring there is a relatively open, but noticeable choke. The manufacturer for this type of Columbia I believe stopped making these in 1910, so I estimate it’s likely around 115 years old at this point. I’ll probably leave it be with just shot. I enjoy it as is, and would hate to ruin it.

There’s a lot to learn. It’s much much easier today with the internet and resources. Even 25 years ago one would have needed to have a library of books and have spoken to a multitude of people directly to know any of what one needed to do a decent restoration and use properly. Now, one just needs to do a lot of searching and reading, but all can be known within a week or so for any particular topic.
    Last edited by TheAbe; 11-11-2023 at 10:06 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Years ago I had a Stevens Model 520 in 12 gauge. I don't remember any peculiarities about loading the tube, but it was a very loooong gun what with a 32" barrel and the long receiver.

It took some tweaking but it eventually cycled reliably. Not one of Mr. Browning's better designs in my opinion.

Robert