Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RepackboxLee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad Data
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is this bullet too pointy for a lever gun?

Moderator Emeritus

I was in Doug Wells shop in Missoula when he was working on a Rossi 92, 357 that had chain fired in the tube. It had a mix of cast SWC and cast RN. His theory was that the cartridges were at an angle and a high primer set things off. SWC was under the ones that fired. There were 3 that fired and three that the pressure blew the end of the loading tube off and the cartridges landed on the ground. IIRC three left in the tube.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

If any of it can be inserted into an empty primer pocket, I wouldn't. I.O.W., use a bullet with a meplat that's wider than your primers.

Having a sheet metal magazine covered in walnut explode while my hand is wrapped around it just really doesn't sound like a good time.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    If any of it can be inserted into an empty primer pocket, I wouldn't. I.O.W., use a bullet with a meplat that's wider than your primers.

Having a sheet metal magazine covered in walnut explode while my hand is wrapped around it just really doesn't sound like a good time.
    Exactly. If the nose is smaller than the primer..its not good.

Boolit Master

The 311291 isn’t exactly flat and I thought it was one of the old school .30-30 standbys.

I cast and loaded the 311291 as it was my first mold ever bought here. I have only used it in bolt action milsurps though like the Springfield and the Krag. I have not put any through the micro groove 336, not opposed but never got to it. I have since picked up a NOE 31141 flat point though.
    Last edited by Lance Boyle; 11-11-2023 at 11:30 AM.

On water northern Mn . 1903.colt's Avatar
    Not for a beloved Savage 99 - any tube feed no go Roger - why risk your one thing or another .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    I wouldn't use it because there's no cannelure to crimp into. Frankly, it doesn't seem at all pointier than many factory .30-30 rounds. Factory round on right:
    Attachment 319741

Besides which, when loaded the point isn't directly on the center of the primer... much is pushed against the actual base of the cartridge in front.

If one compares this factory round to a more traditional flat nose you can see that more of the touches the primer on the flat nose than the more rounded factory round.

But, as noted above, much depends on the hardness of the cast bullet, and how much the cartridges are jostled around in the mag tube during recoil.
    I just knew somebody was gonna do this! yep many 30/30 loads (and also 348 softpoint) the boolit nose will fit inside an empty primer pocket --I dont like that at all - i think what saves it is the tapered shape of the case means its all but impossible to get the nose of one to follow into the primer of the one ahead ---the one I would not trust at all in a tube would be the 45 colt --fatter case body , little skinny rim = anything other than a big flat meplat there could cost some fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    I just knew somebody was gonna do this! yep many 30/30 loads (and also 348 softpoint) the boolit nose will fit inside an empty primer pocket --I dont like that at all - i think what saves it is the tapered shape of the case means its all but impossible to get the nose of one to follow into the primer of the one ahead ---the one I would not trust at all in a tube would be the 45 colt --fatter case body , little skinny rim = anything other than a big flat meplat there could cost some fingers.
    Ditto with the .44 Magnum, and if loading pistol cartridges in a carbine, Do Not use Federal 150 primers. They are VERY sensitive
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	magazine tube and cartridge fragments 001.JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	134.0 KB 
ID:	319900

When reloading and shooting, you can't be too safe.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by muskeg13 View Post
    Ditto with the .44 Magnum, and if loading pistol cartridges in a carbine, Do Not use Federal 150 primers. They are VERY sensitive
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	magazine tube and cartridge fragments 001.JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	134.0 KB 
ID:	319900

When reloading and shooting, you can't be too safe.
    I always used rifle primers in the 44/40 (Federal 210) my 44/40 brass is cut for rifle depth - deeper pockets compared to 44mag or 45colt - had quite and argument here about that but I measured - maybe things are different now ..........................

I worried about this issue in my 94 30/30 and rossi 357,
    I have some 178 grn 30 cal boolits, 0.312 as dropped from the mold and bought some plain base gas checks from Sage outdoors, after a couple of false starts through my lee 309 sizing die I started reversing the bullet and pushing it and the gas check through backwards hardness was 18 - 22 BHN and they got a nice little flat on the nose, not primer sized but about 3 -3.5 mm in diameter.I have loaded them up to around 2100 fps and the recoil is marked in my carbine but the primers in the mag tube are not, I deliberately checked this for peace of mind. Primers are S&B LR.
    I only put 2 in the mag and one in the chamber as my groups when testing are 3 shots, works for me. YMMV. I used rl7 if that makes any odds.
    I use S&B small rifle primers in my 357 with silvalube round nose 158 grn bullets with no issue, primers unmarked but the loads are 38 sp subsonic so I guess you wouldn't expect any marks. Rest of the time I use either RNFP, TC Silhouette or Keith style semi wadcutters with no issues.

Do 25-35's blow up?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    Do 25-35's blow up?
    same argument as the 30/30 and 348 ----ie-- gravity -----the tapered round will lay with its nose in the bottom of the magazine tube - well clear of the primer pocket of the one ahead --if this were not the case then we would have expensive evidence in the form of blown guns and amputated fingers - particularly the 348 with its extra recoil - never heard of it ! ---most of what I have read about has been 44/40 or 44mag .......................

Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    same argument as the 30/30 and 348 ----ie-- gravity -----the tapered round will lay with its nose in the bottom of the magazine tube - well clear of the primer pocket of the one ahead --if this were not the case then we would have expensive evidence in the form of blown guns and amputated fingers - particularly the 348 with its extra recoil - never heard of it ! ---most of what I have read about has been 44/40 or 44mag .......................
    Yep.