Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: Wanting to install a more modern Bead on my shotgun

Wanting to install a more modern Bead on my shotgun

I have a polychoked barrel that the ivory bead has given up any premise of use.

The only thing I actually use the bead for is to ensure a good cheek weld to my face.

What started off as a simple project ( no such thing as a five minute job ) has turned into a minor annoyance. I never did like the polychoke solution as to mounting their bead. It is a little push to fit bead mounted in a ramp and the ramp is screwed into the barrel.

What I proposed to do was to eliminate the ramp and screw a bead directly to the barrel. Well the size of the tapped hole has eluded me to this point.

Secondly, I do not know I don't know if they make beads with a large enough thread. Anyone else gone down this dirt road before ?

Boolit Grand Master

8-40 and 6-48OS (over size) is the largest thread sizes used for beads that I am aware of. I believe Mossberg uses 8-40 but I am not 100% sure on that.

https://www.midwayusa.com/s?page=2&s...20bead%20sight

http://www.marblearms.com/shotgun-beads.html

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/2094510
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 11-03-2023 at 06:31 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

I use a Brownell's kit. Comes with 2 beads of your choice and the proper drill bit and tap. Believe they will about $20 last time I bought GW

I have one of every size - except the one that I need at the moment!
    I second Brownells.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update I have determined the tapped hole is indeed an 8-40. Texas that is one anomalies of nature in that number of parts needed is always N-1. Where as the N represents parts available and the minus 1 is self explanatory.

Boolit Grand Master

Last edited by M-Tecs; 11-06-2023 at 05:20 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hays47 View Post
    Update I have determined the tapped hole is indeed an 8-40. Texas that is one anomalies of nature in that number of parts needed is always N-1. Where as the N represents parts available and the minus 1 is self explanatory.
    That actually sounds perfect; the quantity of parts needed is always one less than the quantity of parts available.

My Beretta shotgun took a 3-56 threaded Hi-Viz (brand) fiber-optic bead.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

I second the Hi-Viz brand of replacement bead. I put one on my Mossberg 3 years ago. It's very easy to lock in on even in low light situations.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan