Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad DataLee Precision
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWideners
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone make or can make a mold that

Boolit Buddy
    I don't know about how others do it, but if I do my part mine fuse together quite well. Keep in mind, I made these couple bullets in 10-15 minutes so I wasn't going for perfection. In the pictures you can see the center cross section of the bullets, the soft lead nose fused almost flawlessly with the hard lead. I also attempted to demonstrate the differences in lead hardness by digging my finger nail across both lead types. Hopefully you can see where my fingernail dug deeper into the nose, but in the body it became shallower to the point where it couldn't be scratched. Another thing to note for those that are making their own, although tempting...do not open your mold in between pouring the soft lead nose and the hard lead body it will miss align your bullets, that's the problem with casting a bunch of seperate noses then trying to add the body afterwards. Once you have practiced pouring the nose and have a pretty good idea how much lead is enough (for my 500 grainers...a .38 special 158 grain swc melted down is all I need +/- a grain or two) pour your body in the same mold.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20231101_103859160~2.jpg   IMG_20231101_104137907~2.jpg   IMG_20231101_104031258~2.jpg   IMG_20231101_104315626~2.jpg   IMG_20231101_104330153~2.jpg  

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    This may or maynot be legal.
    I ain't gonna try and interpret the ATF's words.
    Here are they're words, suitable for bathroom reading for sure

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/ge...ition/download
    I seem to remember a disccussion a long time ago about casting two piece "penetrators" with an extremely hard pointy nose and a softer base.

Have done some double casting and the down side has been loss of distance accuracy. However for field use, at normal hunting ranges they are acceptable. I came to the point of just shooting a larger caliber bullet, rather than to rely on expansion, so for example, rather than a 30 cal 165 gain, I use a 358 cal 200 grain or .429 at 210 grains. Just as a trade off, with about the same velocity.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

My brother has hunted for decades with a 45-70, paper patched swaged pure lead 500 grain bullets, sub-minute of angle at 1800FPS. His only complaint has been more expansion than he really needs.

My concern has been him giving himself shaken baby syndrome but he's seventy now so it'll pro'bly be OK.

Moderator Emeritus

I spent a lot of time looking for a Tramco lead dispensing device after some articles by Ross Seyfreid in the late 80's. Ross said he found the best ration of soft to hard was between 1/4 total weight and 1/3 total weight depending on caliber and the amount of mushrooming you wanted.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    I spent a lot of time looking for a Tramco lead dispensing device after some articles by Ross Seyfreid in the late 80's. Ross said he found the best ration of soft to hard was between 1/4 total weight and 1/3 total weight depending on caliber and the amount of mushrooming you wanted.
    I also looked. Never found one. Tried the two dipper method. I was young, inpatient, and it took way to long for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    My brother has hunted for decades with a 45-70, paper patched swaged pure lead 500 grain bullets, sub-minute of angle at 1800FPS. His only complaint has been more expansion than he really needs…
    This is what I ended up doing, paper patching a soft lead bullet. At least until I discovered the 50-70 Springfield. No expansion needed!

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfdog91 View Post
    Thank you , can't seem to see where I could order a soft point in 30cal though , their site inst the most user friendly

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk
    You could cast the boolit softer and patch it. Or, go to a larger diameter? You probably already have the rifle but, my thoughts are, if you need to depend on expansion, you need to start with a larger boolit. Not the most popular thought but it is mine.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Moderator Emeritus

I had forgotten one of the easiest ways to produce soft noses. Get a Lee 0.311" round ball mold. Run a bunch with pure lead. If you want to size them down, even as low as 0.277 just run them through a lube sizer. Drop in a hot mold and let it melt then pour on top of it. It is much easier than trying to set a poured nose into a hot mold.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Banner Sponsor

I think Mountain molds has been out of business for a while now