Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
WidenersReloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Load Data Repackbox

Thread: Trying cast in .270 win

Trying cast in .270 win

Gf has been talking about wanting to shoot her .270 more and more but after seeing the slow motion video I too of me shooting it she wasn't too keen on shooting it with regular loads..... Definitely not her dad's old had loads I shot crap was about 10-15% of book max ,kicked like a dang mule, but yeah told her I'd see what I could do with cast bullets to which she was super excited about having different colored bullets to plink with. So was a Le to get a single cavity lee mold off a guy on cast boolits for next to nothing, sizers gas checks ECT from noe and was finally able to put something together. And right off the bat it's looking really promising! No leading to speak of light recoil, little loud but not bad at all with ear pro.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Boolit Master

I have that mold I think. is the lee mold? i got it to load up some 277 Wolverine ammo. Makes a decent boolit I think.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master

I have that mold I think. is the lee mold? i got it to load up some 277 Wolverine ammo. Makes a decent boolit I think.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1852.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	16.5 KB 
ID:	318944Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1705.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	19.4 KB 
ID:	318945

This is my rifle and here is the result of using an old lyman boolit that I think is about 115 gr sized .278 with gas check.

Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master

It looks like you are off to a good start.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master

Such good posts! Keep it up, man. Take your girlfriend shootin' too.

Boolit Grand Master

Dang !!! that's Impressive !
    28 grs. 3031 isn't no powder puff load , I would guesstimate 1850+ fps velocity !
    ... keep working with the IMR3031 and fine tune that load , it looks like a winner .

I was going to suggest 13.5 grs. Red Dot ... but Never Mind , you got this one figured out ...

... You just Keep On Keeping On with 3031

Nice looking boolits and reloads too , keep the Lady Happy and you will do fine !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

I had a Rem700 in .270, and it wanted to be accurate and make me look good with jacketed 150s at about 80% of max.

As far as hunting with cast in it, I'd take any shot I'd otherwise do with a full house .30-30.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

The Lee 277135 shoots very well from my 6.8 SPC AR15. If I had a .270 Winchester, I’d absolutely shoot cast in it.
    Your bullets look way better than mine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by frkelly74 View Post
    I have that mold I think. is the lee mold? i got it to load up some 277 Wolverine ammo. Makes a decent boolit I think.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1852.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	16.5 KB 
ID:	318944Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1705.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	19.4 KB 
ID:	318945

This is my rifle and here is the result of using an old lyman boolit that I think is about 115 gr sized .278 with gas check.
    Always though .227 wolverine was a look cartridge might need to build one now
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Dang !!! that's Impressive !
    28 grs. 3031 isn't no powder puff load , I would guesstimate 1850+ fps velocity !
    ... keep working with the IMR3031 and fine tune that load , it looks like a winner .

I was going to suggest 13.5 grs. Red Dot ... but Never Mind , you got this one figured out ...

... You just Keep On Keeping On with 3031

Nice looking boolits and reloads too , keep the Lady Happy and you will do fine !
    Gary
    I'm just using what I can find , always get told to try the same three or four powders but finding them is such a pain. And I'll be honest with you, I kinda hate messing with fast pistol powders and similar stick powders always seem to perform and be less of a pain. Haven't messed with **** gun powders but idk
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Boolit Master

Mad Dog Weapon Systems was the builder of the upper I have. They sold brass and dies too.

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master
    pretty much all loads with projectiles as in J word work well in most .270s and recoil is way down when you drop either or both projectile weight or speed via powder charge.
    to put it another way..nobody considers a .243 w a hard recoiling cartridge..loud yes but soft recoiling
    when you chuck a 100-110 grn projectile out of .270w at or around 3000fps you are pretty much duplicating the 243w

havent seen any .277 cast over here in NZ at all...have seen .284 but very little of anything skinnier.

My cast for the 270 Savage an absolute delite to shoot with an Ideal 132gn over 26.5gn of 3031. The smaller case is much more efficent than larger ones.

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Grand Master
    You are doing great. Far better than I have ever done with cast bullets in a hunting rifle.

Whenever I read your posts, it makes me wonder if I should go down the rifle cast bullet rabbit hole. In fact, I have a few NIB molds I was planning to sell but have kept them...just in case I get bored and want to try again.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    ROFLMAO YES!! Go for it. It is FUN! And not frustrating at all!

Yeah, I love to shoot cast in my .308. Really fun when the cast bullets shoot almost as good as the jacketed.