Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Wideners
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: why no primer section?

Boolit Master

why no primer section?

maybe im off base here but just been wondering about this. we have two sections devoted to shotgun stuff now and separate sections on everything else, why not have a separate discussion section devoted to primers

Boolit Master

✔ Good question.

A revealed critical item often ignored over the last couple of decades.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Buddy
    well, if there was one now there would be nothing posted but "where are they & why is the cost so high" !

Boolit Master

I think it would be a great idea.. lots of alternative primers on the market now that regular components are scarce. good place for discussions. Argentina.. Bosnian.. etc..

Boolit Master
    Most has already been discussed a good bit, and if properly posted as a sub topic or in the subject line should be searchable.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by lx2008 View Post
    well, if there was one now there would be nothing posted but "where are they & why is the cost so high" !
    Not quite so. Many are pursuing and discussing short term to long term solutions on this site; not just regurgitating the hand wringing and Woe is Me discussions that often arise when market and political actions impact.

As an example; some of the post I have done (and many more have done on this site) addressing SOLUTIONS to the Primer challenges include:

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...ts)&highlight=

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...in)&highlight=

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...ils&highlight=

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...ngs&highlight=

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...les&highlight=

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...ads&highlight=

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...ads&highlight=

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...ing&highlight=

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...res&highlight=

I think the thrust of the thoughts for originator of this tread (and my own) are that there are hundreds and thousands of "Searches", reads, and comments on Primers on this site. Many are not adept at searching for a specific unique item, results when searching can be all over the place for results, and the area is one affecting just about every one who participates with posts or reading posts on this site. The creation of a separate "PRIMER" category might be of benefit to participants - say more so than creating a section on Black Power, Left Handed, Left Twist, Imported, Rifle/Pistol/Shotgun devices built in Lithuania and firing Smokeless Powder derived from Female Wombat Urine.

Yes; I am being quite Facetious, but a separate section on Primers may have more influence (number of people using primers approaches 99.9999% on this site) than some of the lesser niche areas where enthusiasts research, post, and enjoy a segment of our sport.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Buddy

I like the idea of a primer section.

Boolit Master
    I'll probably never need to buy another primer, but the idea of reloading primers interests me as well as making caps for my muzzle stuffers. I like the idea of a primer section

Boolit Master

How/when do the powers that be decide to add a new forum section?
    Asking for a friend.
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Ditto!

This is actually a great idea, just for the sole purpose of cleaning up the forum.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Boolit Grand Master
    There may be a bit of work in going through past posts and moving them to a new subforum. If that is the case, anyone wanting a new subform may want to volunteer to do the work and moderate it?

Like rbuck, there is almost no chance I will ever remanufcturer primers. I have enough to last my lifetime if I do not waste a lot plinking. Plus, prices are down to the level I can afford to buy 5k a year if I want to go back to shooting more CF.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

Now that "reloading" primers is possible and feasible for the home reloader to do ...
    A section that contains all the info in one place would be welcomed by myself .

I'm not good at doing searches but looking through "stickies" usually gets me the info I need . I might have a lifetime supply of primers ... but I know I have a gallon zip-lock full of spent primers , when my daughter was small she would help me by sweeping the floor as I reloaded... she put every primer in that zip-lock for me too ... I got the spent primers !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

I have recently started work on making percussion caps current methods have been not as good as I expected but it is a learning curve.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by firefly1957 View Post
    I have recently started work on making percussion caps current methods have been not as good as I expected but it is a learning curve.
    Just to comment on making the Percussion Cap:

I discovered the Percussion Caps need a Binder to create a solid "Pellet" of the Primer mixture. My efforts for my 50 Hawken were good to terrible until I recognized that. The use of "Paper Foil" in percussion caps is highly problematic as the unburned paper tends to plug the Flash hole after one or more series of Caps being fired. Some primer/cap mixtures do not work well because of this.
    Mustang

Boolit Master

Thanks Mustang I have yet to get that far I am using Barium Chlorate as a base impact sensitive oxidizer and fuels have been mostly Charcoal & Aluminum powder . I am using Gum Arabic binder with Charcoal fuel and Nitro cellulose with Aluminum powder .
    I have to stay away from sulfur as it reacts with Barium something I did not plan on to begin with. From what I am reading I may have to much material in cap causing a cushioning effect . Initial tests have been on a anvil with a hammer then I try mixture in cap on a duck foot pistol that has been left uncleaned to test for corrosion so far I have had no rust .
    Supposedly Barium Chlorate is more sensitive then Potassium Chlorate but I am finding it about the same as Ammonium perchlorate in impact ignition taking quite a hit but being powerful when it does work.
    Oddly the most sensitive mix I found was from my first attempt with Barium Chlorate and charcoal, when I spilled to much water in mix and wiped it up with a paper towel . The dried paper towel just needed a tap to go up in green flames! I may experiment with that some more ....
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master

Interesting!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Sig556r View Post
    How/when do the powers that be decide to add a new forum section?
    Asking for a friend.
    When they read threads like this

I also think a single sub-forum for primers is a good idea.

Now as for right now...
    a smart feller would post about the DIY process of making primers in "Special Projects"
    AND...
    making your own percussion caps in "Muzzleloading"
    AND...
    lastly, threads about commercial primers and selecting which brand for a specific application, could be posted in "CB Loads, Your Favorite Cartridge"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

My opinion is we should get rid of half the sections we have now.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Yeah really, all I see when I log in is WTS threads.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.