Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersRotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Load Data Repackbox

Thread: T-42 Active wads in other shells?

Boolit Master

T-42 Active wads in other shells?

I have a mess of T-42 wads, today I did some looking to see if there was any load data for shells other then Active . This site was the only reference at all and one person mentioned Federal Gold medal hulls have same capacity while someone else said they are tapered ?

I have not that many Active shells I had been using a 1 5/8oz load in them and gone to softer shooting loads as I age . However my son is looking for some heavy loads for pests , coyotes, and whatever.

To buy some T-42 wads back before the internet the only place that would even order them wanted me to buy 1000 (4 bags) I still have about 3 1/2 bags left ! Wads were cheap back then I forget how much but it was nothing compared to todays prices ! I also recently bought 5 pounds of HS7 powder that is good for such heavy loads .
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Load Data shows the Unibody hull with Alliant powder. This is data directly from Alliant. Hope you can read the cut and past from there. It's the only data that shows up there other than Activ data.

Good luck.

2 3/4" Remington-Peters Unibody SP Plastic Shells

Shot Powder Type Manufacturer Charge Primer Wad Velocity (FPS) Favorite?
    1 1/2 Ounces Blue Dot Alliant 31.5 Rem. 209P Activ T-42 1,150
    Remarks: 9,600 psi
    1 5/8 Ounces Blue Dot Alliant 29.5 CCI 209M Activ T-42 1,115
    Remarks: 10,300 psi
    1 5/8 Ounces Blue Dot Alliant 29.0 Fed. 209A Activ T-42 1,115
    Remarks: 10,400 psi
    1 5/8 Ounces Blue Dot Alliant 29.5 Fio. 616 Activ T-42 1,115
    Remarks: 10,400 psi
    1 5/8 Ounces Blue Dot Alliant 29.5 Rem. 209P Activ T-42 1,115
    Remarks: 10,500 psi
    1 5/8 Ounces Blue Dot Alliant 29.5 Win. 209 Activ T-42 1,115

Boolit Master

I acquired some of those old wads several years ago and they looked good. Loaded some heavy 12 ga loads with Longshot. Took them to the field a couple of weeks later and pooffffff. All squibs. The Longshot didn’t react well with that old plastic for whatever reason.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    I acquired some of those old wads several years ago and they looked good. Loaded some heavy 12 ga loads with Longshot. Took them to the field a couple of weeks later and pooffffff. All squibs. The Longshot didn’t react well with that old plastic for whatever reason.
    Doubt if it was the powder, I've had oolldd wads almost crumble to dust in my hands. They may have crumpled during assembling the loads.

Or it could have been the hull you used. If not matched to the right hull the wad is too small and the gas leaks by.

Boolit Master

Clear Fed. hulls, straight wall just like the Active hulls.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master

Thank you for the help .
    I do load with Blue Dot I recently started using HS7/ WW-571 more I have had the WW-571 in a round steel can for years and never used it until a couple years ago.

Hog Tamer I have had the same trouble with BlueDot in Federal cases the hotter FEDERAL 209 primer must be used or squibs happen . The hard bottom of AA compression formed shells only require a WW 209 primer for good ignition . My loads were from a reloading manual (Lyman circa 1976?) I just accidently used the wrong primers .
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.