MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: Got a new 28G o/u, looking for a economy loading solution.

Boolit Master

Got a new 28G o/u, looking for a economy loading solution.

I have a new 28g o/u, that is a shooter, thinking of getting into loading for it, proabably wont shoot 100rds a year, but like being able to roll my own. Did lee ever make a lee hand loader for 28g? Did Lee ever make a load all shotgun press for 28g.? I hate spending $300 for a mec. All feedback appreciated.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by koger View Post
    I have a new 28g o/u, that is a shooter, thinking of getting into loading for it, proabably wont shoot 100rds a year, but like being able to roll my own. Did lee ever make a lee hand loader for 28g? Did Lee ever make a load all shotgun press for 28g.? I hate spending $300 for a mec. All feedback appreciated.
    Lee made a 28 gauge and a 410 gauge classic reloaders - the old wack-a-mole style - however to get one of each you'll probably spend 600 dollars or more - they're scarce. The load-all doesn't show being manufactured in 28 gauge but there are people 3d printing parts that supposedly work. You can find a cheap MEC 600 used for anywhere from 100-200 bucks.

Boolit Master

I load 28ga AA only. The cost to reload em isn't much. The MEC 650 for me works great! Have an O/U Beretta I shoot skeet with. Have saved a pile of $$$ loading my own. Factory Winchester AA's are pricey!! But once you have the empties: its a cupcake! 410's are difficult to load. 28's are easy. Good luck!

Boolit Master
    I've been shooting 28 gage for 30 years. If you're a fairly young man, buy a MEC Sizemaster and never look back! If you are truly never going to shoot more than a hundred rounds a year, just buy them. You can buy AA at Walmart and sell the hulls for a nickel or dime each. It's a very economical round to reload. I currently have a SxS, O/U, and autoloader in 28 gage, and usually shot 50-100 every time I take it to the range.

I would suggest getting a MEC. Once you shoot skeet with your new gun you’ll probably shoot more than you originally thought you would. MEC makes a durable press that will last.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Of the sub gauge cartridges, the 28 is the easiest to reload. It is the right length and right diameter to be stable in the press. The 28 loads powder and shot easily and crimps very easy, in comparison to the aggravating 410 stuff, especially in a 3" hull. Precision Reloading sells new 28 hulls and shot cups. I use Unique in my Browning O/U 28.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Grand Master
    For low volume reloading, consider a used PW 375. It can be set up with two die sets so you can reload two gauges with the same tool head. I have two 375's. One set up for 3" 20 ga loads and the other for 2 3/4" 28 and 12 ga loads. I could load 3" 12 ga on the one set up for 20 ga but have no need for heavy 12 ga loads.

IMO the 375 will make a better shell than a MEC as they have a better crimp die.

I have used a number of MEC's (600, 650, 9000), Dillon 900, PW 375's, PW 800C, PW 800+ and a Spolar. Loaded 28 ga on the Dillon (not very good), the 375's (very good) and Spolar (also very good).
    Don Verna

I have a dedicated MEC setup for each of a 20, 28 and 410 they do just fine when adjusted and setup correctly. For a few hundred the MEC single does just fine. Almost forgot, I did put an adjustable powder/shot bar in each press to make fine adjustments with.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers