Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading Everything
WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: Slug gun fooling around

Slug gun fooling around

Mounted a scope via drilling and tapping the reciever on an old Winchester 1300 for a Remington 7400 base. Bought a pile of bases and rings when a local sporting goods store went out of business. I also ordered a bunch of cheap Brenneke looking slugs USA brand. They are a low recoil version, 1400 fps for a one ounce slug. Thought they might be good for getting the scope close and then fine tune with better slugs. Nope the difference in impact is 2.5 feet! And they leaded the barrel as if designed to do so. However got that one sighted in dead on at 75 yards with Winchester full power 1 ounce slugs. The area we plan to hunt first this year is rifled slugs only for feral hogs and archery for deer. However I wasn't finished. My rifled barrel for one of my Remington 870's iron sights are dead on for the Hornady Monoflex saboted lead free bullet and I am not touching those sights till I have used all of them. But I have several barrels, one has been cut to 22 inches and has a big orange bead on it. Figured I would try to see where it hit with factory Remington sluggers. Luck was crawling all over me! First two shots at 25 yards are just two inches high and centered. Back off to 50 yards and also 2 inches high a couple inches apart. Back off to 75 yards and take a shot at an empty gallon milk jug and center it. This with the big bead sitting even with the top of the receiver in the middle of the little flat and using the top of the bead to sight in with. I have never ever had this happen with a bead sighted shotgun. But not complaining unless you count all the other shotguns this was a big fail on. Five shots and just a little leading, 3 shots of a Remington 1 1/8 oz load of 7 1/2"s and the barrel is spotless! On a roll now.

Watch for the loosening or tearing out of the screws holding the scope base to that aluminum receiver - common with the normal 6-48 screws.

If it happens, I would suggest re-D/T'ing for 8-32 screws.

BT, DT - NTS.........

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Worried a bit about that myself, considering using some good epoxie on it.

Absolutely epoxy the base on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Next up I wanted to know if one of my 870 barrels would hit anywhere near the bead and totally lucked out. With the bead centered on the little flat Remington sluggers hit a couple inches high at 50 yards and actually group pretty good. 2 touching and one 2 inches low that could easily have been me as I was shooting offhand. This barrel had been cut to 24 inches and a bead reinstalled on it years ago so cylinder choke. I have had another 870 in 20 gauge for many years. It was a youth express I put a adult stock and good recoil pad on. I also put iron sights on the rib. An improved cylinder choke has been in this barrel since I got it. It has been sighted in for Remington Buckhammers for years and I still have 6 boxes of them. So I tested them again to find nothing had changed. great groups on the money at 50 yards and a very clean barrel. 1 ounce at 1550 fps is almost 12 gauge horsepower, never could understand why Remington quit making this slug.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rickt300 View Post
    But I have several barrels, one has been cut to 22 inches and has a big orange bead on it. Figured I would try to see where it hit with factory Remington sluggers. Luck was crawling all over me! First two shots at 25 yards are just two inches high and centered. Back off to 50 yards and also 2 inches high a couple inches apart. Back off to 75 yards and take a shot at an empty gallon milk jug and center it. This with the big bead sitting even with the top of the receiver in the middle of the little flat and using the top of the bead to sight in with. I have never ever had this happen with a bead sighted shotgun. But not complaining unless you count all the other shotguns this was a big fail on. Five shots and just a little leading, 3 shots of a Remington 1 1/8 oz load of 7 1/2"s and the barrel is spotless! On a roll now.
    I have 2 shotguns that shoot slugs like that, both smoothbore bird guns. One is a 12 ga Win 50, and the other is an Ithaca 37, 20 gauge. I have no qualms about taking a shot with either at 100 yards or so. First shot I made with a slug in the Win 50 dropped a buzzard sitting in a pine tree at 125 paces. My dad was impressed that a 15 year old lad could do that. It was almost 60 years ago.

I was a bit older when I started dinkin' around with the Ithaca, but it has dropped mature+ hogs repeatedly at 75-80 yards. Never shot either for groups, didn't see the need. Park the bead in the flat, hold steady and let it rip.
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Dan View Post
    I have 2 shotguns that shoot slugs like that, both smoothbore bird guns. One is a 12 ga Win 50, and the other is an Ithaca 37, 20 gauge. I have no qualms about taking a shot with either at 100 yards or so. First shot I made with a slug in the Win 50 dropped a buzzard sitting in a pine tree at 125 paces. My dad was impressed that a 15 year old lad could do that. It was almost 60 years ago.

I was a bit older when I started dinkin' around with the Ithaca, but it has dropped mature+ hogs repeatedly at 75-80 yards. Never shot either for groups, didn't see the need. Park the bead in the flat, hold steady and let it rip.
    Well my testing has found that shotguns with beads that will do that are to be treasured!