Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: 1795 Lockplate ID Help

Boolit Buddy

1795 Lockplate ID Help

Hi everyone. This is my latest acquisition, what was advertised as the lockplate of a Springfield model 1795. I have yet to distinguish any markings, but I hoped that based off the shape of the cutout for the flash pan and the configuration of holes, someone here might be able to identify more what this actually is, and if it is off a 1795, which approximate variation it might be. Looking at various parts, this could also be a 1763 Charleville or 1766 pistol design. I can get measurements if that would be helpful.

I intend to embark on the fool’s errand of rebuilding this into a functional (almost entirely reproduction) long arm, but first I need to identify more closely what I’m starting with.

This is a duplicate post of one in the Military Category, but it was suggested I put this here as well.

Thanks!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5335E44F-323C-46D5-8BE9-8F12B6D11B41.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	317694

Boolit Master
    You may want to contact:

The Rifle Shoppe, Inc.
    870740 S HWY 177
    Wellston, OK 74881
    405-356-2583 Tel
    405-356-9663 Fax

They make parts for the 1795. It's a three person shop. They have always been very helpful when I had questions.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    That doesn't go to a 1795 Springfield. Those had a tit on the back of the lock plate.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    I’m thinking the plate originally had such a protrusion out the back (presumably a leftover from the casting process), but this one has rusted off over time such that it is now smooth.

I sent an email to The Rifle Shoppe, so we’ll see what they say. Measuring this plate though, and comparing it to the dimensions they describe for their various parts, it may actually be from a 1766 French model or the like. Mine measures 6” x 1.25”, though if the tail had corroded away, it could have been 6.25” long at one point. Mostly, I just want to be able to get parts with the right geometry to the hole placement so it functions well.

Boolit Master

Abe: I have had several early 1795 US surcharged muskets. Up until 1812 the flash pans were cast or forged as part of the lockplates. After 1816 through 1835 the pans were cast separately.. The pans were brass. The screw hole just behind the pan cut out held the brass pan in place. It would be the screw hole just in front of your left index finger. Your lockplate looks 19th century.

Boolit Buddy
    Rockin: Thanks for the info! So it could be a model 1816? I read somewhere that 1795’s were also made with detachable flash pans from 1806-1809 or thereabouts, and then they were forged on again after that. What are the dimensions of an early 1795 plate? Of an 1816? Mine measures 6”x1.25” about exactly, though i assume the length is a bit reduced from corrosion.

Boolit Master

The early Springfield 1795 and 1798 Martial muskets had flat lock tail ends. The edges were beveled at a 45* angle. The 19th century lock plates were radiused on the tail ends behind the hammer. However some European locks were styled like the lock you have. Some Spanish musket locks had brass pans too.