WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OO Buckshot thru Lee die for 308 Winchester?

I have loaded .310 RBs in my 7.62 Nagant with a 22 case full of Red Dot. They work fine, and are pretty accurate. Virtually no recoil.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Years ago loads like this were called gallery loads. Lots of people loaded these to shoot thier rifles in the basement.
    Very low noise and power these could safely be shot indoors with not much of a back stop.
    The neihbors never hear them.
    Leo

So, I used unsized brass, used the smallest Lee powder dipper(2.8 grs) of Bullseye. I carefully placed the little bullets in the necks by hand and secured them with a light crimp with the FCD. The cattle were grazing on the range so I shot a cardboard box on the ground at 15 paces( squirrel range) in a safe direction towards the forest. I'm pleased with this 9 shot group- especially since the point of impact is close to zero with no sight adjustment.
    I've never killed a squirrel/rabbit/turtle/racoon with a Krag; but I believe that I can.
    I did not wear ear protection and the report was similar to .22 LR Stingers.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    So, I used unsized brass, used the smallest Lee powder dipper(2.8 grs) of Bullseye. I carefully placed the little bullets in the necks by hand and secured them with a light crimp with the FCD. The cattle were grazing on the range so I shot a cardboard box on the ground at 15 paces( squirrel range) in a safe direction towards the forest. I'm pleased with this 9 shot group- especially since the point of impact is close to zero with no sight adjustment.
    I've never killed a squirrel/rabbit/turtle/racoon with a Krag; but I believe that I can.

Very niiiice that's awesome

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Looks and sounds like fun to me

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post

I like it! Were you able to get them to cycle through the Krag magazine?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Now I need to revisit this in 30-30 for some fun.

I did not think that they would cycle through the magazine so I didn't even try it. When I use round ball loads in my 94 Winchester I also load them single shot( first as a 30-30; now a 38-55). The first time I tried round ball loads was from an old Speer manual that had loads for .433" rb in .44 Magnum. It was so cool to gather tree rats and cotton tail rabbits with my SBH Ruger without destroying them. Next was .451" rb in .45 AR for my 1917 S&W. I was hooked.
    Some folks say that a round ball from a 38-55 or 44 is too big for small game- but what size were the old muzzle loader "squirrel rifles"?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Doing stuff like this may have made sense before but think it through.

Primers sell for $100+/1000. So you have 10 cents in the primer. With 3 gr of BE you are looking at another 1.5 cents for powder. The buckshot is worth $5/lb...so another 4 cents. Let's call it 15+ cents a shot. And it takes about an hour load 50 rounds.

If you want a "training" round for the kids and they shoot 500 rounds a month that would cost you $75 and 10 hrs of reloading. Over 6 months of training you will have invested $450 and 60 hours at the reloading bench. A good springer air gun will cost $300 and it uses pellets that cost $40/1000. So for the same 3000 shots the cost is $120...for a total cost of $420 and 60 hours of time saved.

If your kids are not strong enough to cock a springer, here is a nice CO2 rifle for $200:

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Beema...get_Rifle/4067

It gets 30 shots per 12 gm powerlet ($25/40) so adding the cost of pellets, the cost to shoot is $30/500....$180 for 3000 shots

Buying your kid(s) their own rifle is a really nice bonus as well.

And that $200-300 air gun will be twice as accurate as a 00 buck slug at 25 yards. One last comment...IMO an accurate gun is very important to train a new shooter. Guns that shoot poorly make it difficult for a shooter to progress. If you, "the expert" are shooting 3" groups at 25 yards, the kid shooting 4" groups thinks he is doing well. If you are shooting 1" groups, his 4" groups will force him push him to learn.
    This is the dumbest thing I have ever read on a shooting related website! Except for the miniscule number of member/readers who frequent these sites who are subsistence hunters we can almost NEVER justify the cost of shooting. If a person chooses to limit his/her activity in this manner,, do whatever trips your trigger WITH YOUR OWN MONEY but leave others to do the same.
    All the justification the OP needs for doing this is that he wants to try it and it is his money. The payback is the satisfaction derived from doing it.

Boolit Master
    Ive done this ,even took a pocket of buck shot on a school cadet camp once,for use with blanks,didnt end well.....Anyhoo ,enough of that,if you try to magazine feed ,the open necks of the cases will be damaged ,and jam anyway.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DonHowe View Post
    This is the dumbest thing I have ever read on a shooting related website! Except for the miniscule number of member/readers who frequent these sites who are subsistence hunters we can almost NEVER justify the cost of shooting. If a person chooses to limit his/her activity in this manner,, do whatever trips your trigger WITH YOUR OWN MONEY but leave others to do the same.
    All the justification the OP needs for doing this is that he wants to try it and it is his money. The payback is the satisfaction derived from doing it.
    You are correct about one thing....we can almost never justify the cost of shooting. But we can make it more affordable and effective. For those who do not shoot very much, costs are less important...as well as the time invested to produce a round.

And in your emotional reply you ignored the rationale was to train kids. If you can afford $.15 a shot ammunition to train kids, you are blessed. Most people are not as fortunate as you.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    half the fun of reloading is experimenting .handy to have some light loads for your hunting rifle when after deer and some small game pops up

Boolit Buddy
    South Texas but sometimes it feels like Northern Mexico
    I have done this a lot in 30-30. in fact it is my favorite load in the 30-30. I just tumble lube .311 or .312 round balls drop them in to the mouth of a fired case that has been reprimed and charged . I thumb them in enough to make them stick the I push them against the side of the bench table to seat them solidly in the case. works like a charm. pressure is so low you can use the case several times before you need to resize. .

I have shot round balls in my 350 Rem Mags. Rolled them in LARs 45 - 45 - 10 XLOX, dried, and thumb loaded into cases. They shot surprisingly well. Fun to try something different, I read about this years ago in the Dixie Guns Works Catalog. Also shot RB's in my 458 Win Mag with so so accuracy and sized #4 buck in my 22 Hornet.

Moderator Emeritus

Done this and it is accurate at 25 yards. Coat the balls with LLA or run it around the cartridge neck after seating.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Shot a lot of size 0 buck in .30-30 and a .30-40 #3. Rolled in liquid alox, unsized case, lp primers, and 3 grains of red dot. Seated half way they would cycle through a Marlin and group well at 25 yards. Mrs.Thumbcocker could go through a quart zip lock bag in short order grinning the whole time lots of fun. Never tried them on critters but they were deadly on soda cans.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.