MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWidenersLee Precision
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Summer thoughts

Summer thoughts

Just a couple of days ago I watched a flock of Rio Grande turkeys having a smorgasbord of grasshoppers. Comical to watch as the younger ones ran Willy nilly back and forth flushing more than they caught; the Tom and mature hens just paused to eat, take a step or two, and eat some more as they landed close.
    I thought that if they eat ALL of the grasshoppers, we’re going to have several 100 pound birds to eat….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    About an hour ago, I was sitting on the front porch, and grilling some pork tenderloin that had been tenderized for sandwichs. After the 4th of July, it is fall, and winter before you know it. There was a good breeze blowing across the porch, but when it paused, it got hot in a hurry, 86 ad humidity at 90%. Made me wish summer was over. I can stand the heat, but not the humidity, and July and August here in south central KY is awful. I have allergies, that cause me to have asthmatic symptoms, And I noticed myself wheezing when outside. I carry a rescue inhaler, and have to use it on occasion, and a nebulizer when it gets real bad. Spring and right now is the worst for me. Also about the end of October is also. One reason I love fall so good, hunting season is a big reason, but when the humidity is gone, I can go outside and breath so deep and not get choked up. When I have been out west hunting, I told the wife my lungs ache I can breath so deep. I know I should not wish my life away, but I am ready for fall.

Boolit Master
    I'm Pick'n Up what You're Puttin Down. The heat & humidity is tough in south west section of Va. I too look forward to fall & hunting season. Last year I had some rifles that weren't set up with loads, This year I plan on all of my rifles being ready. This summer will be load set up time, that means i'm gonna have to do a lot of shoot'n. . Don't you guys feel sorry for me?

Haha us from Virginia might just start a heat and humidity pity party. At times it's hard to disbelieve that the mosquito is not big enough to compete with the state bird.

Boolit Master
    It's the same here in beautiful Hotlanta, GA, although I am getting ready for early bow season--I got a dozen chigger bites just spending 10 minutes picking yellow squash in my raised beds. At my age I only hunt from ground blinds, and I think chiggers can find me from a mile away.

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm with you guys. Here in humid central, (Maryland), the summers are terrible. This summer has been the worst for me with my advancing age and the smoke from Canada. I was feeling sick from the combo and tried to stay indoors as much as I could. BTW, my wife put a new engine air filter and a new cabin filter in her Honda and after a month of that Canadian smoke, they turned black. Just imagine what our lungs are having to do to clean that junk from our bodies. Suggestion: if you were subject to the smoke, you might want to take a look at all your filters -- car, home air conditioning, air purifiers, etc.

The skeeters, chiggers, fleas and ticks here have died of heat exhaustion! Drought and 105+ will do that.
    I hate humidity as well. June is bad usually.
    Working on the Texas Gulf Coast on a drilling rig is still the hottest and coldest I’ve ever been. The humidity sent the temps through my skinny little body to my bones!
    And yes, I’ve been to Nevada, Arizona, and Death Valley.
    And in Northern Colorado in thirty below.

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    Was on a rig 10 miles off the coast from Cameron Lowsy-Anna one time. Had a norther blow through and we had large icicles hanging off the derrick. Those poor souls form South Swampy had never seen such before. Tool pusher had the sense to pull up off bottom and wait it out before someone got hurt!
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Boolit Master

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    Have only been back from the mountains of northern New Mexico a few days , the day time highs were lower than the daily low temperatures here! I’m asking myself what was I thinking in coming home . It was hot and humidity was terrible high when we left and being gone two weeks hasn’t helped anything. Speaking of chiggers, I have never seen them so bad! I spray every morning when I go out and I still get the little red devils! Vacations are nice but when you have responsibilities, you gotta come home, and I always enjoy getting home. I been going out early of the morning and plinking with my .22. Shooting used wine corks at 120+ yards, that’s some pretty sporty shooting for this old man.
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

Boolit Master
    Here’s my summer thought “I wish it was fall or winter! To damn hot for me!”
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Banned

been beautiful up here this summer. only complaints were that the mosquitos were bad in the spring and we had a bit of a dry spell earlier. mostly sunny and in the 70s. i cant take the heat and could never live in the south but have live there wkat you consider winter is just a bit chilly day here where a guy might wear a long sleave shirt. i lived in VA for 4 years and saw snowflakes maybe a half a dozen times and snow actually on the ground twice. up here 300 inches of snow a year is nothing. some counties get twice that. Now thats winter. funny how to me a few degrees above normal gets people wining. try -25 with 25mph wind or 0 and a blizard so hard that all the roads are closed for two days
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 07-17-2023 at 06:02 AM.

Mercy's sakes alive, it'll be a real scorcher again today.
    Mite even hit 80 by mid afternoon.

Kidding aside, I don't miss ending the days with bands of salt crystals solidified in my shirts so yeah, having moved a thousand miles north does have its good points.

Moderator Emeritus

I love my summer and the heat. I can finally move without as much pain. I can only get in about two or so hours of work before I have to stop or I lose days and in a lot of pain. Time just goes by way to fast now.
    Ron

106 in Austin today.
    I didn’t drive far enough to escape it apparently.
    I’m breaking out the Red Ryder tomorrow at home to see how many grasshoppers I can thwap!
    In the shade of course.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Fox View Post
    It's the same here in beautiful Hotlanta, GA, although I am getting ready for early bow season--I got a dozen chigger bites just spending 10 minutes picking yellow squash in my raised beds. At my age I only hunt from ground blinds, and I think chiggers can find me from a mile away.
    I keep a bottle of sulfur handy to dust my legs and feet. Nothing worse than chiggers.

We have been very lucky. All the bad weather missed us. 20 miles north or south and they got flooding, hail, downed trees.

I'm looking forward to squirrel hunting in a few weeks. I went scouting yesterday.

Our timbr cutters are suppose to show up ths year, so must prep for that event, move the attachments to a central location, equipment trailers, etc. They want all the Cogan grass gone so have been cruising our woods looking for the singles, spraying them. Insidious invasive species, nothing eats it, sprouts from pieces, parts or seeds, burns so hot it kills pines. People, including the state and county do not spray it, so it spreads every summer and fall.
    Have multiple rifles and handguns in process. on Saturday afternoon it rained 2 1/2" in 30 minutes, a sure enough frog strangler.
    It cools off here in October, pretty warm right now. The critters have a real shortage of berries and nuts, late frost got the buds and blooms. Their natural foods are very scarce. Saw two young bucks out on Sunday morning.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Grand Master
    Only a few bad days of heat in northern Michigan most years. I am "stuck" here until I am old enough to take the heat some of you guys get. Seems like really old people like it hot.

My cut off for outdoor activity is about 80-85 degrees depending on the humidity.

Cold and snow do not bother me. We get very few "natural disasters" where I live so not much weather drama to deal with. Northern Michigan is not perfect, but it works for me. I am glad most people want to retire and live in other states.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    Fortunately/ unfortunately I work at a place that uses steam to mold parts. On a 70° day it's 100+ in there with a humidity over 90%. The worst I've seen was 127°, 98% humidity. While that's friggin miserable it does one thing, makes a 95° outside temp very tolerable.

For me, spring and summer consists of predominantly fishing. On the hottest days I wade local creeks and rivers chasing smallmouth with my fly rod. I usually get out a couple times a month to stay in tune with my hunting equipment or just stay down in my den to load up all the boolits I casted over the cooler months.

This year I've made it a goal to strictly take my handgun out during modern gun. I've spent the better part of the summer working on that. I had a major concussion a couple years ago from a car accident and have had issues holding my hands steady since. It's very difficult for me to shoot groups anymore, so that's really complicating things. However, I think I found a good alloy and load to do the job if I do mine. I've gotten to the point that I can consistently hit 16 oz water bottles out to 50 yards and go 4 for 6 at 100 yards. It's weird though, if I try to focus to shoot groups on paper I'll get 4"-6" groups at 50. Put a water bottle down and I'll bust it 19 out of 20 times off hand.

I have been meaning to build a ventilation system downstairs so I can comfortably cast during the coldest and hottest months. Unfortunately, I keep procrastinating on building that.

Boolit Master

I anticipate the first snow fall in about 80 days at the Kalispell house!! Take that mosquitos and flys!
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master

Fox Business Weather Reporter Babe this morning broke the news! Over 210 Million Americans will see temperatures in the low to mid 90's this week because of Climate Change/Global Heating!!!

WOW - We never had those 90 degree days in the summer when I was a Kid.

I will say that I no longer shoot High Power Competitions in the dead of summer - just don't want to put up with the heat. But; was out yesterday shooting with a couple of guys preparing for a Rolling Block only competition they entered into for early August.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.