Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad Data
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Linotype to buy or not

Boolit Master

If you're confident of its composition, take the local scores where you can. If it's some of the harder "type" alloys (see our forum lead alloy calculator), better still.

I bulked up my own inventory with a lot of range scrap, which I segregate into (1.) jacketed, (2.) shotgun slugs, and (3.) other people's cast.

1 and 2 are very soft of 1% antimony or less, so the "sweetener" mixes are very good to have around to turn that into something more versatile. 3 tends to end up in the vicinity of clip-on wheel weight, but you never really know until you slag each batch down and put it on a hardness tester. A bucket of lino or other "type" will go a long way in improving the soft stuff.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Never pass up Linotype.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy
    There has been some good info in all this an stand up members that have PM'd me. Lots of good people here.

Boolit Master
    I am seeing a lot of soft lead spacing in that bucket. They are bent and twisted which you cannot do with linotype, it will snap off.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by brokeasajoke View Post
    There has been some good info in all this an stand up members that have PM'd me. Lots of good people here.
    a little bit of linotype goes a long way but it wont rot in storage either ....never let a chance go by with soft lead - grab that every opportunity you get, its scarcer all the time.

Boolit Grand Master
    In 5 years, that $3500 for 1000 lbs of lino will probably seem cheap, if prices go like they have been. 5 years ago, that same 1000 lbs of lino was less than half of todays price.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    If it was me I would buy that. Lino is handy stuff to have around.

Pure tin will often be double or triple that price, seems fairly reasonable to me.

Normally I mix roughly 50% Clip on Wheel Weights, 50% soft range scrap and I may add a little Pewter or Lino for rifle to harden it up a touch.
    But for most of my shooting that mix works fine.
    yup.. tin is crazy.. I tend to stock up on lino and use it because of that..

Boolit Buddy
    I offered $2 and they said no I may offer 2.50 or see if they will sell spacers and linotype separate at separate price. Should I take a bathroom scale to weigh?

Boolit Master
    A bathroom scale might be off a little bit, either way, but better than lifting a bucket and guessing by how it feels. Sorting the spacer strips from the lines of type would be a good plan. And if there are individual small pieces with a single character on the end, consider that the same price as the lino. But sort it out later as that is likely Monotype and a stronger alloy of tin and antimony. Good luck on your negotiations.

I would buy the alloy from Roto at that price, better than getting it in type form IMO. The alloy in the spacers can vary quite a bit from the type. At $2 per, sure, buy all of it. Back in the day I used to get lino in 22# pigs for 50c a pound. Wish I had bought 2000#.
    Last edited by fredj338; 07-13-2023 at 07:37 PM.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    I just looked at Roto's prices and WOW!!!!! 2.60 for pure lead, 2.35 if you buy a half pig and 1.85 if you buy 1,000 lb. pallet. Crazy!! I figured that once it was outlawed for all uses the prices would drop some since demand would drop drastically. Face it, us bullet casters are not much of a demand in the big scheme of things.

Lyman #2 is 3.60 lb.. When you figure a 170 gr. rifle bullet will get you 41 bullets per lb. that works out to $.088 per bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Never pass up Linotype.
    Yes, 10 years from now $3.50 will be a bargain