Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linotype to buy or not

Boolit Buddy

Linotype to buy or not

Found some linotype locally for $3 a pound. As I am very new to this whole casting thing I thought I'd ask. Should I get it or hold off? Rotometal has bullet casting bars for $2.19 plus shipping right now so that's kinda how I'm gaging it but I understand it's not the same alloy.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20230702-071600.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	21.7 KB 
ID:	315552

Do you have other lead to mix with it?
    Linotype is used to make the lead that you have, harder.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Master

Hello Borkeasajoke, I just went on Rotometals and from what I've seen they are having a sale and still $3+ shipping for "hardball" or linotype. It getting to be not so much the cost but the availability. Linotype can use it straight up or mix it with lead to get the hardness you desire. I would get all I could afford. You can always sell what you don't need in the future. And you don't have to pay tax or shipping

Boolit Buddy
    Most what I have is a mix of COWW and SOWW lead.

Boolit Master

++++ kungfustyle buy all you can afford.

If it was me I would buy that. Lino is handy stuff to have around.

Pure tin will often be double or triple that price, seems fairly reasonable to me.

Normally I mix roughly 50% Clip on Wheel Weights, 50% soft range scrap and I may add a little Pewter or Lino for rifle to harden it up a touch.
    But for most of my shooting that mix works fine.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master
    Price seems fair.

BTW, you want the lines of type and not so much the spacers, or better to say the lines or type are more valuable. The type is cast hard because it’s used to print, but the spacers are just spacers and could be anything from the same hard alloy down to soft lead.

Boolit Master
    I get dirty Lino Mix floor sweepings for just under half that. Take few hours to go through it and place in cans of 20 lb. Dirty stuff get added to the pot and placed in the Lino stack of ingots.

Pure lead is harder for me to find.

If it's harder bullets you want drop them in water right from the mold. It's cheaper than Lino.
    Mr. Bill2

Boolit Buddy
    44 mag velocity from a Taurus M44 would be max velocity so they wouldn't be thermonuclear pressures. Been using SNS casting coated bullets for it. Most of my cast has went through 38special but may very well end up in a 357 mag and all coated with Smoke's PC.

Moderator Emeritus

Lino is my favorite alloy to blend with pure [near pure] to get the alloy I prefer.
    years ago, when Lino was much cheaper, but still more than other alloys, I bought a bunch...and I don't regret it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I only found it useful for small diameter bullets, to help with fill out.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master
    Fair price but not oustanding. Current price at Rotometals for 1000 lbs is $3500 and you know what you are getting. Like another poster cautioned, if the spacers are softer lead, it will affect the economics.

My preference for general use (not hunting) is "hardball" (92-2-6). Currently at $2400 at Rotometals for 1000 lbs. Range lead is going for $1.20/lb. If you mix it 1:1 with Linotype it comes out to $2.35/lb. I will not waste my time to make my own blend to save $.05/lb and it may not save anything after paying for propane. But I am lazy and cheap.

Unless you are getting your softer alloy at a very good price, blending with Linotype does not make sense. I used to get "free" range lead and would mix in Linotype.

Work the numbers based on your local situation and factor in the value of your time and your motivation.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master
    I'd buy 50-100 lbs at that price and smile. I get range lead at very low cost, but it needs hardening for best results in a rifle. 2-1, range lead to lino works great in my 30-30 and 303 savage rifles.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy
    Started casting a few years ago and collected up buckets of older clip on wheel weights, some lino, and a few lbs of pure lead and tin. Did a bit of initial experimenting with mixes, but found out that the clip on wheel weights did everything I needed for rifle, pistol, revolver, without adding anything to the mix.
    Clip on WW, is the most affordable and cost effective.

Put your $ into Rotometals. When linotype is used over & over, the tin gets depleated.

I add Rotometals linotype to WW & pure lead.

Get a little to make a few batches of 94-3-3 or 96-2-2. Just to have around to harden and make flow. Go easy on yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for all the responses and helpful info.

Boolit Mold
    Rotometals Superhard is a gift to bullet casters. It can be alloyed with COWW or STOWW to male alloys from BHN 10 to 20 and up. The L.A.S.C. Website Carrie’s articles by Fryxell and Riddel,on tyhis subject. It is on sale at this time.

Boolit Master
    Considering how lead alloys are getting more scarce with time, I'd buy it. It's local so there is no shipping plus if it's just that one bucket we aren't talking about a lot of money in the big scheme of things. That's how you build up a stock of lead over time. Whatever you pay for it now will seem a lot cheaper not that many years in the future.