Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyRepackboxWidenersLee Precision
Load Data
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 30-30 vs 300Blackout

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    The .300 BO is about two things. Hype and it fits in an AR.

I see bolt guns in .300 BO and wonder what people are thinking. But hype sells.
    Personally, I'm flipped on that. I have ZERO attraction to the round in an AR, but the notion of subsonic in a bolt gun has appeal if I lived where I could buy the can - a modern Delisle carbine, if you will. Also, the small case but heavy bullet makes it attractive as a short range cast plinker with the advantage of a rimless case. Kind of an updated Martini Cadet.

As compares to the .30-30. . . I regard them as different tools for different purposes and don't see a lot of sense in that particular "This vs. That" discussion.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Banned
    useing lit-gun and working up loads in my md rem 7,s do not cause any pressure signs. cases are good and size with out undue pressure with good primer pockets. i found win 296 and hg 110 i hit pressure before higher speed and quit useing them for toploads. my loads are not fired in semi-auto rifles. the rem md 7,s have been made in several magnum cailbers over the years, so i,m not worried about my 300 bk loads.

Banned

it fits in an ar and ive cleanly killed deer with it out to 200 yards with barns bullets. in an ar i prefer my 300hmr and especially my grendel but with those barnes x bullet made specifically for the bo it gets it done. Ive shot 7 deer with the bo and all had massive internal damage. now that said i wouldnt hunt deer with any 30 cal using cast bullets. ive done iut and found it was a good way to polish up on your tracking skills. i wish those barse bullets would work in my hamr but they'd fall in the case seated deep enough to work. so i use 130bts in the hmr. im not a big fan of barnes bullets but that bullet is a keeper. ive had two 762x39 ars and both were way to temperamental. id take a bo ar over a 762x38 any day. i also had a ruger american bo. it was a tackdriver and even shot cast under 2moa at a 100 yards but my granddaughter's husband loved it and a gave it to him. hes shot a number of deer with it. anyone who claims the bo isnt enough for deer under 200 yards has read to much internet instead of shooting deer. personaly its a better choice then 243 for a women or beginner. 243's tend to produce poor blood trails

The BO is popular IMHO as it will handle 100-220gr bullets and everything in between. Yes, I can dowload 30/30 or 308W. But WHY? Seems like all I take to the range anymore is one of the BOs and I am finding more brass laying around there too.
    Edit: Kind of an updated Martini Cadet. Yup, my CVA scout is my version as I couldn't find a cheap 32 RB.
    Shoots 110vmax, 145 PB or GC, 170 or 185 PB or GC just fine.
    PB 145gr from 1:10 18" carbine made a nice 8 shot < 2" dia circle, 2010fps @ 100. Chronyd with H110. Was doing some alloy tests with Cu. Probably should cast more of those GCd and try again.
    Last edited by popper; 06-29-2023 at 04:51 PM.
    Whatever!

I played around with a 300 BO upper for my AR and never was happy with it. To be fair I probably didn't spend enough to get a good barrel and I only shot powder coated cast in it. The best it ever shot was about 3" at 50 yards. My nanny state doesn't allow suppressors either. I gave up.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerShooter View Post
    Shooters World Socom powder will push a 150 grain bullet at 2100 from a 16" barrel. It is a warm load but within published data. A 150 spitzer at 2100 is right in there for performance especially with a pointy bullet. That is out of my AAC single shot measured with both a Labradar and Ohler chrongraphs.
    It is simple to load 30-30 with pointed bullets. One in the chamber and one in the tube. If you need more than two you're probably not really hunting.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    I have one of the ruger's in 300 Black and have been working on different loads the last little wile

Running very low on powders for the 308 / 3006 35w

So reached far back in the safe and pulled out the 300

Tried some cast 150 165 and now some 311299 with Accurate 1680

found one of the problems is the ruger is a 1/7 twist I have shot some 10 shot groups (100y) at under 1 inch but the velocity has to be under 1200fps

Need to load some more and try a slower load at 100 and 200 yards App 29 in drop at 200

There are several 2150fps 150gr 300BLK published loads. Keep in mind the data is for a 16" bbl and it's impressive out of a tiny cartridge.

I wouldn't even compare these 2 cartridges at all. Completely different platforms, case volume, bullet types as well as the market and guns chambered for them.

But for me I will state why I love my .300BLK. It's in a single shot CVA Scout.
    Cheap brass that I will never have trouble finding or making. I bought a big supply of .556 blank brass which should last my lifetime.

Plentiful and cheap projos. I shoot mostly subsonic plinkers from 86-150gr. Cheapest load is with 3gr of fast shotgun powder and a 110gr .30 carbine bullet and is extremely quiet thru my suppressor.

Platform is meant to be suppressed so threaded barrels are on most .300BLK rifles

Powder range from the fastest shotgun powder(I use TiteWad) to fast rifle powders

Small pistol or small rifle primers can be used depending on the load.

The 90gr Hornady XTP loaded with 20gr of lil-gun is insane and will explode anything it is pointed at. I had to shovel the pieces of an armadillo I shot with that load up to haul off. Yuck!

Lil-gun/90gr XTP at 2400fps
    https://youtu.be/DDsAUwZUNqM

I think this is an early vid with a 150gr FP and 4.0gr of Unique. Not my quietest load thru the suppressor. The later TiteWad loads cut this noise in half.
    https://youtu.be/oEUAxm7qxtc
    Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , S&W Mod 17 K22, Stevens Favorite .22GM, ADC .45/410, CZ SP01 9mm

Banned

you guys need to find the 130 rcbs gas check spitzer mold. it shoots well in all 4 0f my bo's even the two pistols. i even fooled with it in my american with pop gun 5 grains of unique loods and iy had a rain bow trajectory but still shot 2moa at a hundred yards. i have a pile of wc820 and couldnt find data for it so i used a bit of reasoning and came up with 17 grains. it does just under 2000fps and shot just over moa out of my 16 in gun. cast out of 5050 ww/lyno powder coated sized to 307 (because it ran more reliably at that size) my gun sighted in 1.5 inches high at a 100 with full power jacketed hits right to poa with that load

Still don't understand loading a round near or at pressure limits to try to mimic the performance of so many other readily available options

I have a few ARs in 30 cal, do not allow a BO on the place for any 4 legged animal hunting. You want to shoot animals 6-10 times you take it some place else. I have an AR in 300-221 with 230 grain Cast, this is a cast forum, and it is capable of the parent 300 Whisper's intended purpose, social work.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    you guys need to find the 130 rcbs gas check spitzer mold. it shoots well in all 4 0f my bo's even the two pistols. i even fooled with it in my american with pop gun 5 grains of unique loods and iy had a rain bow trajectory but still shot 2moa at a hundred yards. i have a pile of wc820 and couldnt find data for it so i used a bit of reasoning and came up with 17 grains. it does just under 2000fps and shot just over moa out of my 16 in gun. cast out of 5050 ww/lyno powder coated sized to 307 (because it ran more reliably at that size) my gun sighted in 1.5 inches high at a 100 with full power jacketed hits right to poa with that load
    Sounds like you're having fun with it. I have a bunch of PC boolits I have yet to load. Been messing wit 9 major lately. I have a BDC reticle scope on my rifle which is fantastic when going from sub to super velocities.
    Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , S&W Mod 17 K22, Stevens Favorite .22GM, ADC .45/410, CZ SP01 9mm

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rapier View Post
    I have a few ARs in 30 cal, do not allow a BO on the place for any 4 legged animal hunting. You want to shoot animals 6-10 times you take it some place else. I have an AR in 300-221 with 230 grain Cast, this is a cast forum, and it is capable of the parent 300 Whisper's intended purpose, social work.
    7 deer all between a 100 and 200 yards all one shot kills. 4 drt 2 made a leap and piled up and one made it 50 yards to the edge of the field. im one that usually preaches on the side of to much gun. ive killed deer with 300 ultra's 300 mags 7stw and 6.5x300weatherby. i probably wont shoot any more with my bo's but if you saw the damage that barnes bullet did at close range youd eat your words. problem with it for me is range. crop damage shooting about begins at 200 yards and 3-4 are the norms. so when i shot those deer i had another gun with me. i was honestly questioning the 200 yard shot but after gutting it i saw what it could do. it hands down in my opinion did better then the 556. but if it takes you more then one shot at under a hundred yards to kill a deer or pig id suggest you start practicing your shooting. 10 shots?? i think you might want to give up hunting and take up golfing. or ill give you the benefit of the doubt and maybe question you choice in bullets. but that's really stretching.

Boolit Master
    I dunno
    The 300 blk is like a more expensive 310 to me.
    All the special powders and special $2 projectiles just to be able to shoot something.
    Most people would be better off learning to hunt and shoot.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2446.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	315553
    This is just a rough work up load with adi 2207 and a 120 grn bullet in the 100 yr old martini cadet with issued sights to see it this slow powder could be made to shoot with reject bullets.
    Only 55 yrds but still capable of dropping a sick bovine in its tracks with a well placed head shot.
    Same for most things that need curing without much fuss or racket.
    Ohhh I’m sorry most people don’t hunt anymore but shoot things. The farther the better.It used to be closer the better.
    Never mind I’m rambling on.

The mericans had the 32-20 which when originally loaded was good.
    It’s just they have been a might slow to catch onto the wonders of the cadet and more sedate simple cast lead loadings.
    Ha , who woulda thunk it.

The 30-30 is a good enough to stand alone as it is still in a decent rifle. Nuff sed.
    Last edited by barrabruce; 07-02-2023 at 11:52 AM.

I happen to like the 300 BO, that's good enough reason for me.
    I also like the 30-30 or isn't that allowed?
    I also figured out I don't have to kill something in order to enjoy shooting my guns, not to say I don't enjoy hunting, but I don't do much of it these days.

Banned

this is a cast bullet forum and theres one thing the bo does hands down better then a 556 ar and thats shotting cast bullets. i can go out with a bo and shoot 500 rounds in a day for half the cost of doing it with my 556 guns. isnt that why we cast

Boolit Grand Master
    this is a cast bullet forum and theres one thing the bo does hands down better then a 556 ar and thats shotting cast bullets. i can go out with a bo and shoot 500 rounds in a day for half the cost of doing it with my 556 guns. isnt that why we cast
    Apples and oranges Lloyd. The thread is about .30/30 vs .300 BO.

In any case, unless people have stockpiled primers there is not much "cheap" shooting even with cast bullets.
    Don Verna

It is weird to see a thread bashing one of the best reloader oriented cartridges ever developed like it's some kind of high tech specialized round lol. Any .30 cal bullet will fit it, 100+ powders will run it. Brass available everywhere for dirt cheap.

The stigma in this thread is because it's an AR-based cartridge. If it was introduced as the 32-20 magnum and chambered in lever actions it would be a different story. It is so close to 32-20 in specs I use 32-20 load data in it 1:1 for my single shot and get the same velocities.

Actually if you read my first post, I was questioning why the 30-30 is often looked down on as anemic, while there is much more enthusiasm for the 300BLACKOUT when ballistic charts don't match that.

I should have worded the title better.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    Actually if you read my first post, I was questioning why the 30-30 is often looked down on as anemic, while there is much more enthusiasm for the 300BLACKOUT when ballistic charts don't match that.

I should have worded the title better.
    I don't think I've ever seen a discussion where someone said the 30-30 was weaker than the .300BlK. I think most people who are into guns and shooting know the BLK is <300fps with the same bullet weights.

I can see the BLK being more popular at this time because of all the rifles it is chambered in and the popularity of ARs. I personally do not care about the AR but love the the BLK for what it's convertability and low cost but I know I could do everything it will do and more with the 30-30.