Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Load DataReloading EverythingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 45 Colt working loads in modern Ubertis

You can always over pay to have the finish look real cool, like with Turnbull, but you can't make a Colt that is as strong and rugged as a Ruger.
    While there is truth to this but, I, the OP was never talking about "Colts." I was always talking about Ubertis 1873 reproductions, which are stronger and more rugged than Colts: modern metallurgy and machining and don't have the weak hand spring which is a source of much trouble with "Colts." I have a Cattleman II which has a retractable firing pin eliminating the need for what I consider a very silly practice of walking around with five rounds in a six-chambered revolver (I've always wondered why Colt never incorporated the feature of allowing one to lower the hammer between chambers on the 1873...this feature exists on my 1860 Army, and I suspect on earlier designes so I'm sure they were aware). Ubertis have forged frames unlike cast Rugers (which is why Rugers are always overbuilt and chunky looking). Cylinders are always machined out of a bar, and are the weakest link in a revolver according to Keith, Linebaugh, Elgin Gates and everybody that I know of who has experimented to the point of destruction. I believe them.

I have a Flattop new model Blackhawk in 44 special that has digested plenty of Keith loads without issue whatsoever. It's cylinder measures 1.673". My Uberti Cattleman II (357 mag) measures 1.671". Flatops are available with 45 ACP cylinders. According to some so are Ubertis which makes sense which makes me think Ubertis are plenty capable of a 45 Colt + P load. I doubt they are capable of "RUGER/TC" loads you find in load manuals that are intended for the much larger SuperBlackhawk cylinders for the 44 magnum. This would be hazadous I think. But again I'm not talking about 45 Colt loads that match 44 Magnum energy. I'm talking about 45 Colt loads that send the standard weight bullet (~250) grains along at 1000 FPS or so.

Your opinion may differ but I think the Uberti is far prettier. Less expensive too. And this is after removing the cheap looking plywood Ruger grip and replacing it with a nice walnut grip (which it should come with from the factory). The Italian comes with a Turk-Walnut grip from the factory. I do not understand why Ruger doesn't make brass grip frame either. Brass casts very easily and nicely, doesn't rust or experience finish flake off (like aluminum framed rugers), and is traditional and attractive. The flatops are arguably the best looking single actions Ruger ever made, too. Without the cheap looking roll mark on the side of the barrel, without "ears" on the top strap. Still, it falls short IMO.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RugervsUbertismall.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	314996

I treat my Uberti clones as a Colt SAA. Running Ruger level loads in one will certainly shorten their lifespan.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Man
    Was the Beretta Stampede made by Uberti? I've got some load data for those...

Boolit Buddy
    A few minutes research indicates yes, made by uberti

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Boolit Man
    Here's a few that shoot really well in my Beretta Stampede's (USFA Rodeo's too!)

Beretta Stampede 4 ¾ Inch Barrel

Bullet: Blue Bullets 250 gr. RNFP (Polymer Coated/.452)
    Powder: Alliant Herco 8.1 grs.
    Primer: Federal 150
    Case: Winchester
    OAL: Even with crimp groove.

Bullet: Lyman #454190 250 gr. FP (.452/Rooster Red)
    Powder: Alliant Power Pistol 7.9 grs.
    Case: Starline
    OAL: 1.600

Bullet: RCBS 255 gr. SWC (.452/SPG Lube)
    Powder: Hodgdon HP-38 7.2 grs.
    Primer: Winchester Large Pistol

Beretta Stampede 5 ½ Inch Barrel

Bullet: Hornady 255 gr. FP Cowboy
    Powder: Hodgdon HP-38 7.3 grs.
    Primer: Fed 150
    Case: Magtech
    LOAL: 1.600
    Velocity: 788

Bullet: Hunter’s Supply 200 gr. RNFP
    Powder: Hodgdon HP-38 7.4 grs.
    Primer: Fed 150

Beretta Stampede 7 ½ Inch Barrel (Shoots high with 250 gr. bullets)

Bullet: DCB 200 gr. Flat Base (20:1/SPG/.454)
    Powder: IMR Trail Boss 6.6 grs.
    Case: Magtech

Bullet: Hunter’s Supply 200 gr. RNFP
    Powder: Hodgdon HP-38 8.0 grs.
    Primer: CCI-300
    Case: W-W

Thanks for sharing.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.