MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
RepackboxLoad DataWidenersInline Fabrication
Lee Precision

Thread: Sedgley Krag

Boolit Grand Master

Sedgley Krag

Somebody here was asking about bedding on a Krag rifle. I recently picked up a Sedgley Krag and so I thought I would say how it was bedded. I will post some pictures tomorrow.

The rifle has a sporter stock inletted to the present barrel and action. The inletting is all scrape fitted and the barrel is fitted with a barrel band. The barrel band fits tight in the stock but does not seem to exert any pressure on the barrel. The stock is fitted tight at the rear of the tang and the magazine box is not tight aganst the wood. The bottom of the action is tight all the way across and the trigger guard is a tight fit. An extra action screw has been fitted just forward of the magazine and it is threaded into the bottom of the magazine. The whole action is pulled down snug and the barrel is a snug fit all the way to the end of the shcnable fore end. This means that recoil is transmitted to the stock by the rear of the tang and 3 large screws. The barrel band is loose enugh for the barrel to just slide slightly. Apparantly this was adaquate as the stock is uncracked after over 70 years.

The rest of the rifle is right out of the catalog. It is fitted with what appears to be an earlier version of the Lyman 48 peep sight. The stock is inletted for the sight and it was done at the time the rifle was built. The front sight is a Marbles sheards bead. The front sight is unique as it is the standard military front sight from the Krag. It was cut off and bored out and then the barrel was turned down and the front sight soldered on. The fitting is so precise that you can not see the solder line without a magnifying glass. The barrel was then turned to mathc the front sight and the whole unit blued so you have a 24" barrel with a constant taper and a diameter at the front the same as the 30" military barrel.

The stock is hard walnut and is checkered at 24 to an inch with a fancy pattern. Unfortunatly over the years constant application of Lin Spped has filled in around the checkering and made a heavy coat on the stock. If I keep this one I will have to strip the stock and point up the checkereing before I hand rub it with french oil. The butt has the optional recoil pad and it is a Jostam with a last patent date of 1913. The pad is in pretty sad shape and will need replacing.

The rifle still has a good if not excellent bore and should make a cast bullet shooter. The trigger is two stage with the final pull being 2 pounds crisp, you just think it off. The rifle was originaly rust blued action and barrel and the bolt was left bright. The action has been lapped in with the saftey lug bearng when the action is closed on a live round.

In Remebrance

One does not "pick up" a Sedley Krag, one "aquires" a Sedgely Krag! Good on you. Wish I could see one someday.

I'll let Chargar know you posted this. He was the one looking for info.

Boolit Grand Master

Here are some pictures. Notice the rather bulky QD sling swivles. The peep is a Lyman 33 this is essentially the 48 made just for the Krag.
    Last edited by KCSO; 04-07-2010 at 11:48 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

KCSO

What an excellent "aquirement"! Looking forward to some cast bullet reports from that rifle.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Grand Master

Here's the first report...
    We had range tody and being an old fart I showed up with the Krag. Rifles 100 yards 5 rounds rapid fire over the hood of the car. The winner is 5 shots 5 seconds the best group of the day posted by a 30-40 Krag! Ar's M16's Fal's M1A's boy were they PO'ed. My group was under 2" with iorn sights.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KCSO View Post
    Here's the first report...
    We had range tody and being an old fart I showed up with the Krag. Rifles 100 yards 5 rounds rapid fire over the hood of the car. The winner is 5 shots 5 seconds the best group of the day posted by a 30-40 Krag! Ar's M16's Fal's M1A's boy were they PO'ed. My group was under 2" with iorn sights.
    Jim,

That's pretty dang good! You mean you had to do the 5 shots in 5 seconds? If so that's mighty fast. Good work Jim...this tape self destructs in 10 seconds....................

Boolit Grand Master

Here is the group I cut out. This is rapid fire. The widest shot is 1 3/4" center to center.
    Last edited by KCSO; 04-07-2010 at 11:48 AM.

Very nice aquiry! It will look right nice with its checkering refreshed. I'm with Larry and look forward to seeing how she likes cast.
    Last edited by Throwback; 04-30-2009 at 10:14 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Uh, that group is cast, that's all I shoot in my Krags.

Boolit Master
    I had a pencil, one time, that would poke holes just like those.

Boolit Mold
    A nice rifle, is it marked "Sedgley"? I only ask because that does not look like the typical Sedgley to me.