Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWidenersSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Springfield Sporter

New Springfield Sporter

I saw this and had to have it. I have not determined who made it though it has some Sedgley features. Here are some quick pics. The bore is beautiful - just a nice rifle overall. The engraving is nicely executed but I will have to make another picture of it. It looks familiar to me - anybody seen it before? Is it specific to anyone like Sedgley or G&H? I can't even contain myself waiting to shoot it!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rightside.jpg   rightsidegrip3.jpg   bottommetal8.jpg  
    Last edited by Throwback; 06-06-2009 at 07:16 PM. Reason: update photos

Boolit Master

Talking

Nice!

Boolit Master

That is a really sweet looking rifle!!!!!
    Looks well put together.
    jealousy.....

Boolit Master
    Nice find. A very well executed sporter. How come every Springfield sporter I find looks like it was built by the Muppets? I'm very jealous. That makes my old model 70's look pretty clunky.

Boolit Master
    I passed up a REALLY nice Springfield sporter about 10 years ago that only had a $200 tag on it (IDIOT).
    I'm still haunted by them.
    All I've found since then are $600 and have a Kermit or Fozzy (see Elk Hunter's post) proof mark on them.

Boolit Buddy
    Might well be worth contacting Michael Petrov, up in Alaska, I think, on that one......

Boolit Master

Throwback,
    I'm just curious, is your sporter a high or low numbered Springfield. I'm guessing it's a low number because of the shape of the bolt handle. I think I read someplace that a good share of the Springfield sporters were low numbered but I don't know why. Even if it is a low numbered Springfield I don't think I would let it bother me any specially if I'm shooting lead bullets and light loads.

Skeet1

Boolit Master
    That is a nice rifle. The lines and evident workmanship make me pretty certain this is one of the master gunsmiths of the '30s. The comb nose makes me wonder about Seymour Griffin. By all means contact Michael Petrov in Alaska. He'd love to locate another of these fine rifles.

Jerry Liles

Boolit Master

Drool!!!

Wow ! Fine looking Rifle ! If it shoots as fine as it looks you're a lucky man !

Boolit Mold
    Hi, A nice looking rifle and if you can supply me with a little more information I'll try to ID your rifle.

Please write me at mjpetrov@acsalaska.net

I see the elevation lock nut is gone from the Lyman 48, I checked my spare parts but don't have one.
    Last edited by Michael Petrov; 04-30-2009 at 02:02 PM.

Thank you. I have sent an email.

Quote Originally Posted by skeet1 View Post
    Throwback,
    I'm just curious, is your sporter a high or low numbered Springfield. I'm guessing it's a low number because of the shape of the bolt handle. I think I read someplace that a good share of the Springfield sporters were low numbered but I don't know why. Even if it is a low numbered Springfield I don't think I would let it bother me any specially if I'm shooting lead bullets and light loads.
    Like most, it is a low numbered Springfield. I'm not all that concerned about it as I have no intention of shooting modern ammunition through it. It should be quite safe with any of my cast loads.

More Pictures!

Took some time to clean the rifle a little and do a more honest effort at photos. Enjoy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Springfield 010.jpg   Springfield 015.jpg   Springfield 033.jpg   Springfield 036.jpg   Springfield 035.jpg  

Springfield 006.jpg   Springfield 014.jpg  

Boolit Master
    That has to be a rifle by Seymour Griffin. What a find.

Jerry Liles

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Nicely designed! Good find!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Aw Man -
    That is absolutely beautiful. I'm SOoooo jealous!

It's definitely not a Sedgley - which AFAIK are all conspicously marked - because IMHO the stock is styled subtly different from the way Sedgley did them.

An excellent find, indeed !

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning That is NICE!
    I have been shooting my Military 03 600xxx for years with cast as others. I push them to 1800+ with a RCBS 180 fngc and it shoots to 100 yd bowling pin accuracy off cross sticks all day long.
    Mike in Peru
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

longhorn and 13Echo - thanks for putting me on to Michael Petrov. Points go to 13Echo - it is an S. R. Griffin made before Grifffin and Howe.

Here's hope to you all. I ran into it at a favorite gunshop of mine, C&R Trading Post in Brunswick Maine on Rt1 just out of Freeport. (Roger there is as good as they come and they always have something very interesting) Often, without a name, people don't know what they have. This belonged to a dealer who has retired and was priced in accordance to what he had into it - the price on the tag, $695. This is really a bargain but I lacked the funds and therefore I had to sit on it for a week and contemplate if/how I was going to make it happen. Finally I traded two rifles I thought I was going to hang onto. One, a Husqvarna HiPower .30-06 and the other my Remington CDL .35 Whelen. They will be missed but oh well. Anyhow they may be there for me to buy back later.

I feel fortunate that the Springfield was still there when I got my nerve up!

The point is that bargains may be found if your eyes are open. I had no idea who made it - I am by no means an expert on Springfields - so I am absolutely thrilled to have such a historic provenance attached to this one. I was more than happy with the rifle itself but the history is icing on the cake!

Boolit Master

Throwback,
    Thanks for the info in the serial number range. I used to have a low numbered Springfield that I used with cast bullets and it worked great and was never concerned with its strength. I have to say that this is one of the most beautiful rifles I have seen. The work of a true craftsman. I can understand why you traded the two rifles you had to obtain it. What a stroke of good luck.

Good shooting!

Skeet1