MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
RepackboxLee PrecisionWidenersSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: potassium chrorate

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Be careful with it, it is highly explosive itself, and can go off with the slightest impact. I had some around and gave it to a fireworks maker, as I was afraid to even have the stuff around the shop. I don't scare easy.
    Waksupi is right. Back in the early 80's, my grandmother told me not to be messing with it, and she was right. How she knew about Potassium Chlorate will forever be a mystery, but always listen to grandma. The stuff is not something to just have sitting around the house. And this coming from someone that does not scare easy either. I'm all for making our own caps, but there has to be a safer way.

When I make up a batch, it is VERYsmall, enought to do about 20 caps...and follow all the safety stuff. Still scares the bejesus outta me, keeps me "respectful"
    Real radios glow in the dark.
    Got lead balls?

Boolit Master
    Chlorate was and is a common weedkiller with no lasting environmental effect .......its an old story about clothing saturated with chlorate exploding when dry.

Well, I'll be! That has to be how she knew. She didn't want my clothes to explode!! To be honest, I don't want them exploding either. Thanks, John. I've always wondered, and now I know

Why not just buy Prime-All from .22 reloader?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    It's cheap to buy from other sources if one loads a lot of them. But if one is going to load a small amount or just wants to try it, then Prime-All would be a reasonable thing to but.

Most places I checked were"back ordered" or "not currently available". But I will check out .22 Reloader.

Guess I'm afraid of not being able to get it later.
    Got lead balls?

Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    Thanks, elmacgyver0...Done deal.
    Got lead balls?

Boolit Master

Looks like I'm a bit late, but PYRO CHEM SOURCE has it in stock for $8.00 per lbs. Enough for a for about 25,000 plus.

I've been buying from them for some time, FWIW.

Quote Originally Posted by perotter View Post
    Looks like I'm a bit late, but PYRO CHEM SOURCE has it in stock for $8.00 per lbs. Enough for a for about 25,000 plus.

I've been buying from them for some time, FWIW.
    Thanks for this link! I'm gonna order my sulfur and potassium nitrate for my ball mill from them. Good prices. And I guess I'll get the potassium chlorate for caps, but I don't know how to do those yet. So, I'm assuming you wet the powder and dab a small amount in the cap and let air dry and then glue a little paper disc over it? Or is it more complicated?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Dave View Post
    Waksupi is right. Back in the early 80's, my grandmother told me not to be messing with it, and she was right. How she knew about Potassium Chlorate will forever be a mystery, but always listen to grandma. The stuff is not something to just have sitting around the house. And this coming from someone that does not scare easy either. I'm all for making our own caps, but there has to be a safer way.
    I was told that farmers at one time used it to blow stumps and that may be the basis of Grandma's knowledge.
    I have read of KClO3 when mixed with sulfur going off spontaneously. I read an account many years ago in the american rifleman of someone making fireworks and leaving it sit in a hot garage.
    I think many, many years ago before they could get plastic explosives that the IRA used it for terrorism. But if caps do not start becoming more available I might just buy one of the kits to makes caps.
    Elsewhere I have read that it should be mixed with buffering materials to counteract acids when mixed with sulfur. I just would not want to mess with it and I keep putting off getting a flintlock.

Quote Originally Posted by Fla.HP View Post
    When I make up a batch, it is VERYsmall, enought to do about 20 caps...and follow all the safety stuff. Still scares the bejesus outta me, keeps me "respectful"
    ^^^^^
    THIS is the first Safety Rule. Work with small quantities!

I have heard about two guys having mishaps with the “Prime-All” kit – both of those guys were trying to mix the ingredients by grinding them together with a mortar & pestle. Fortunately they were wearing eye protection and heavy gloves so they were not seriously hurt….. but their mortar bowls were demolished.
    It is safe to grind the Sulfur and Antimony Sulfide together, but if you need to get clumps out of the Potassium Chlorate, it must be ground separately…. To avoid cross-contamination it is wise to clean/wash the mortar & pestle before you do this.

People who have tried the “Prime-All” kit generally agree that the binder (tan granules) included with the kit does not work well. People have reported good results with Duco (nitrocellulose) cement, and I have found that a few drops of my wife’s clear nail polish – diluted with acetone – also works well. More info in this thread -

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...er-Secret-quot
    "Commerce with all nations, alliance with none, should be our motto."

- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Dave View Post
    Thanks for this link! I'm gonna order my sulfur and potassium nitrate for my ball mill from them. Good prices. And I guess I'll get the potassium chlorate for caps, but I don't know how to do those yet. So, I'm assuming you wet the powder and dab a small amount in the cap and let air dry and then glue a little paper disc over it? Or is it more complicated?
    Not really any more complicated than that. Or you can do them dry. I've done it both ways.

If doing it dry, fill the cap and then compress the mixture with a proper sized punch of some type. If nothing else, the blunt end of a a drill bit.

To be honest with you, I've typed up how to do it wet so many times I've lost track and seeing aardvark reloading has what you seek please go there. Him and Marshall did a lot of work doing that site in order that all can learn how to do it and are both great guys.
    Last edited by perotter; 04-21-2023 at 12:49 PM. Reason: corrected

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    I was told that farmers at one time used it to blow stumps and that may be the basis of Grandma's knowledge.
    I have read of KClO3 when mixed with sulfur going off spontaneously. I read an account many years ago in the american rifleman of someone making fireworks and leaving it sit in a hot garage.
    I think many, many years ago before they could get plastic explosives that the IRA used it for terrorism. But if caps do not start becoming more available I might just buy one of the kits to makes caps.
    Elsewhere I have read that it should be mixed with buffering materials to counteract acids when mixed with sulfur. I just would not want to mess with it and I keep putting off getting a flintlock.
    There supposedly has been cases of it going off spontaneously, but I've never found when or where it's happened. But that doesn't mean it hasn't or can't happen.

Like anything reloading related if one isn't comfortable doing it, not doing it might be best as the stress would out weigh the sense of success.

Quote Originally Posted by perotter View Post
    There supposedly has been cases of it going off spontaneously, but I've never found when or where it's happened. But that doesn't mean it hasn't or can't happen.

Like anything reloading related if one isn't comfortable doing it, not doing it might be best as the stress would out weigh the sense of success.
    And there you have it. I have made at least 100 lbs of potassium chlorate using the electrolysis method, And tested the results using a 5 pound hammer and an and anvil. You will never see a reaction until acid ( sulfuric acid) is in the mix, Then it will spontaneous combust. It will not Defalgurate till you add fuel.
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Boolit Master
    One thing about chlorate that there is no disagreement about,is how corrosive it is .....the slightest trace of the dust on steel is bulk rust...........so keep your guns and reloading gear well away .

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    One thing about chlorate that there is no disagreement about,is how corrosive it is .....the slightest trace of the dust on steel is bulk rust...........so keep your guns and reloading gear well away .

AardvarkReloading.com also presents info on a non-corrosive primer composition (EPH20), for people who don't want to clean their guns.
    "Commerce with all nations, alliance with none, should be our motto."

- Thomas Jefferson

What would be considered a safe delay time when a percussion cap does not fire in a black powder pistol that cannot be quickly ejected? What is the safest way to treat the situation?
    Got lead balls?