Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee Precision
RepackboxTitan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

Thread: Henry 327 problems

Boolit Buddy

Henry 327 problems

I just picked up a used Henry 327 Big Boy Steel. I’m having a few problems and concerns. I’m wondering if anyone else has had these problems and if you were able to fix them?

First, the lever pops out when loading. Dropping rounds down the tube causes the lever to pop open. Is this normal??
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B88396C0-6A8F-48BD-AA2F-8B7A76AF0DD2.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	312564

Second, the magazine rod catches and won’t slide all the way down into position. I have to slide it up & down several times until it decides to let me close it.

Third, and most frustrating. It jams like crazy. This is with 32 H&R, I don’t have any 327 yet.
    Most of the time it won’t lift up the round. It just binds up, it slides a little way then has a kinda dead feeling stop. Jiggling the lever sometimes causes the cartridge to pop up and another to pop up under causing a double feed. Other times it won’t do anything until you work the lever 4-5 times smartly.

Name:	C8906662-730A-4F7C-A4C4-1BB1D178180E.jpg 
Size:	12.1 KB 
ID:	312567

Name:	5C9CB9D7-59DE-49DF-BBD2-1153DECE6BD1.jpg 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	312568

Name:	44C320C7-4913-4FB2-8DF2-6293415DB233.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	312569
    It might feed the last 2-3 in the mag smooth. I’ve tried different lengths and different bullet profiles. A length of 1.455 will kinda feed but anything longer is to long for my Ruger single-6 32. The 1.455 is with my 311008 clone crimped in the first/top lube grove, and still has trouble until the last 5-6 in the tube.

Thanks for any help
    Last edited by Wheelgun; 04-03-2023 at 08:32 PM.
    “You’ve got to slow down to be fast” - Dad

Boolit Buddy
    Given how many things are going wrong there I think I would send it back to Henry.

I had a .327 which was splitting cases. Got a return label from them and they made it right and got it back to me quickly.

Never notice my lever moving when I load it, but I don't tend to drop them in but usually hold it at an angle.

Make sure you're clear on the issues so they know what to look at when it goes back. Sucks, and you shouldn't have to do that with a new rifle, but they treated me right so would expect them to do the same for you.

Boolit Master

Bullet shape and OL are important to proper feeding in most levers but it sounds like you have a few other problems and I would agree. Send it back. They have a good reputation for making things right.
    Facta non verba

Boolit Man
    It seems as the previous owner of your Henry decided tp remain silent about his rifles issues and sell it rather than fix it. Henry gave me awesome service when I sent in my 3 month old Henry for repair. I'd send it in to them to fix it.

Boolit Buddy
    Ok thanks.
    That’s kind of what I was thinking, but hoping to avoid.
    I’ve never returned a gun, do I need to find a ffl to ship it and receive it?

I’ve tried several different boolits, and different OALs. When the lifter would pick them up it would chamber anything.
    I didn’t try anything longer than 1.455 because that’s as long as my Single-6 will accommodate. It was bought to be a companion to them, if it only feeds 327 I don’t have much use for it.

I don’t have the rifle straight up when loading it, it’s angled, but the lever still pops open.

Bruntson - unfortunately I believe you are right, I’m going to try some 327 factory stuff if I can find any. If it acts up with it, I’ll know he wasn’t completely honest with how nice it is.

Boolit Master

All my lever guns are fussy about bullet shape. Must have a couple dozen. A nice ojive on the bullet nose always aids in feeding. Keith semi wadcutters do not always feed well. You still need a bit of a flat point because of primer-recoil detonation factor. Try a round nose bullet. The Winchester 32-20 bullet had a good shape and always fed in my 1873's and 1892 rifles. The 32 WCF bullet might not be large enough to fill your groove diameter.

Boolit Grand Master

The problems you are having are not related to your cartridge length or bullet shape. I don't know why it would be double feeding, but something is broken. It's probably related to why the lifter doesn't raise. That right there is all the reason you need to send it to Henry. It's free.

As for the magazine tube, it could be a dent, it could be dirty, it might be catching in the frame. I'd look at the tube to see any wear marks. Since you need to send the rifle to Henry anyway, don't worry about it.

The lever popping open can be caused by having too many cartridges in the magazine. If you force the tube in with too many cartridges you are pushing the action open.

Boolit Buddy
    I guess I’ll have to contact them tomorrow and see what can be done…

The lever pops open when the first, sometimes second cartridge is dropped in.

I appreciate it guys

Boolit Master
    The lever popping open is the norm for the 3 Henries I have. The trick is to make sure the lever is closed before trying to load the first ctg into the chamber- otherwise it will jam. I use the lyman 311008 crimped over the shoulder in .327 cases or crimped in the crimp groove using .32 H&R cases. AS others mention, it is pretty sensitive to ctg length. The issue with the loading into the tube is related to Henry using the same tube as in .357. The smaller .327 stack differently in the tube- just fiddle with the tube a bit to get it all the way down. Before doing anything else, just call Henry- or email them. They will likely send you a pre-paid shipping label and tell you exactly what to do. I have been super impressed with their customer service.
    Loren

Boolit Grand Master
    You do not need to use an FFL to return the gun.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    I tried it again this morning. Thanks for all the ideas/tips. I’m pretty sure it’s going back to Henry…

The thing about the mag tube being for the bigger cartridge, and the 327 stacking different make sense. Using the tube big enough for 45 colt doesn’t make sense.

I made sure the lever was closed, had it at about a 60degree angle, dropped the rounds in and #2 popped the lever open, closed it and #3 popped it open. Tried it at about 45degree, same. It’s weird.

I found some RN boolits, Lee 311-93-2r. Made a few dummy rounds. It still jammed up.
    It’s not jamming going into the chamber, it’s not picking up the cartridge. The carrier/lifter isn’t popping up unless I jiggle the rifle and work the action 4-5 times. Sometimes it locks up where I can hardly move the lever at all.

I think it’s going back to Henry.
    Thanks guys

Boolit Master
    Might also try squirting some brake cleaner - not carb cleaner- in the action and working it a bit. Might be some crud that is keeping the lifter from popping up. Cast bullets, esp lubed ones, can deposit stuff in the action. Light loads can deposit carbon everywhere. I agree that it wouldn't hurt to contact Henry, but I'd make sure everything was clean and lightly lubed.
    Loren

Boolit Buddy
    I read someplace that they caution against using SWCs that would cause feeding problems. I have shot SWCs in my BB Steel 45 colt with no issues but I prefer RFs as they seem to be more accurate. Hope you get it figured out.

Why brake cleaner instead of carb cleaner? Apologies for the drift…..
    Tony

Boolit Master
    Usually carb cleaner leaves an oil behind that can attract powder residue and gunk up the action again

Boolit Master
    And some carb cleaners dissolve some plastics- generally not good stuff to have around all these new-fangled plastic guns. Not that I have any bad experiences along that line....
    Loren