RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why is 5 minute epoxy never 5 minutes?!?

Boolit Buddy

Why is 5 minute epoxy never 5 minutes?!?

Using Gorilla epoxy, quick-set (5 minutes). That was an hour ago, and it's still not completely set. If I mis-mixed, then how do you correctly match resin and hardener amounts with the twin tubes that control your output onto the mixing tray? I've had great luck with epoxies in the past, but can't remember which brand. This Gorilla, well I've used it about 4 times and been disappointed each time (but it's what I have). Last time I don't think it ever truly "set" at all.

Who makes the best epoxy out there?
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

Warm it during the curing phase to make a stronger faster bond.

Boolit Master

JB Weld is good stuff!
    The 5 minute stuff is not as strong as the regular stuff.

Moderator Emeritus

Ambient temperature and humidity factor in.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion8 View Post
    Using Gorilla epoxy, quick-set (5 minutes). That was an hour ago, and it's still not completely set. If I mis-mixed, then how do you correctly match resin and hardener amounts with the twin tubes that control your output onto the mixing tray? I've had great luck with epoxies in the past, but can't remember which brand. This Gorilla, well I've used it about 4 times and been disappointed each time (but it's what I have). Last time I don't think it ever truly "set" at all.

Who makes the best epoxy out there?
    Because if you mix it long enough to be thoroughly mixed, like it needs, it's already cured by the time you're done mixing. I never buy 5minute epoxy.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Scrounge View Post
    Because if you mix it long enough to be thoroughly mixed, like it needs, it's already cured by the time you're done mixing. I never buy 5minute epoxy.
    Most folks do not mix enough. If you are not mixing rapidly for at least on minute you are not even close to mixed.
    Remember the Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

If you've got a bubble or void in one side of the twin-syringe dispenser, waste a little glue to even things up, then make your batch.

The post above is correct, JB is great -- if you can live with the color for what you're doing.

Also, even though 5 minute epoxy sets quickly, it simply isn't completely cured for work for -- often 24 hrs. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

I've had good luck with Devcon.

Boolit Grand Master

How long have you had it "on Hand" most epoxies have a shelf life. JB weld is very good as are the locktite and devcon. I very seldom use the 5 mins cure not enough working time.

Boolit Grand Master
    I don't use the 5 minute epoxy anymore.
    You have to mix any epoxy really well, or it will not cure.
    Had it happen a few times.
    With the fast curing epoxy, it starts to cure to fast for me.
    One hour epoxy is about the speed for me.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    How long have you had it "on Hand"
    A week. Fresh from ACE Hardware.
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

How long have you had it "on Hand" most epoxies have a shelf life. JB weld is very good as are the locktite and devcon. I very seldom use the 5 mins cure not enough working time.
    My bottles of Devcon are probably 20 years old. I used some last month & it cured fine. I also have used rod building epoxy meant for thread wraps that was at least 10 years old with no issues. The epoxy does take on a yellow/brown hue as it ages in the bottle. I've even warmed semi crystalized paste epoxy back to life & it performed fine. The warming was recommended by the manufacturer.

Boolit Grand Master

I use the original JB Weld long cure and a LOT of PC 7 epoxy. Both have served me well for years now.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    Warm it up with a hair dryer and let it sit. This often fixes problems like that.

Boolit Grand Master

I've used JB quick weld on a lot of boat repair, filling holes, popped rivets, rock damage, etc. That stuff sets up quick. If not 5 minutes, it's ready by 10. I've had boats back in the water in an hour. It seems to hold up. I've never had any fail yet. All I do is sand, acetone, and apply.

If you need a quick fix, one thing I always keep with me is JB steel stick. It's a putty you apply, and it hardens really fast. It isn't super strong, but it will hold a brake lever to a handle bar for half a dirt bike Enduro.

I've never seen a good product from Gorilla. Their glue is useless, their tape isn't that great. It is useless below freezing.
    Last edited by megasupermagnum; 03-15-2023 at 07:47 PM.

Boolit Master
    I've probably used 200 tubes or more of J.B. Weld. Mix 50-50 and it helps to pre heat what your putting it on. It's great for gluing a rear view mirror. I sealed the bottom of carburetor wells to prevent leaks with gasoline and if I rebuilt 8 years later it was still sealed. It needs to be stored at room temperature. I know one guy that used it instead of Bondo body filler. Whatever you use it on needs to be clean. Carburetor or brake cleaner will clean. You can warm the tubes in hot water before you mix. Forget the 5 minute cure. It take 24 hours to fully set and the warmer the weather the better.
    Last edited by 45DUDE; 03-15-2023 at 08:37 PM.

Completely agree with the shelf life. Manufacturers put a date code on their stuff and they definitely don't last forever. Ran into this issue with LocTite recently. Gotta throw that stuff out after a couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig View Post
    My bottles of Devcon are probably 20 years old. I used some last month & it cured fine. I also have used rod building epoxy meant for thread wraps that was at least 10 years old with no issues. The epoxy does take on a yellow/brown hue as it ages in the bottle. I've even warmed semi crystalized paste epoxy back to life & it performed fine. The warming was recommended by the manufacturer.
    Your experience certainly doesn't mirror mine. I do store things in a garage that is heated and cooled.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion8 View Post
    A week. Fresh from ACE Hardware.
    Check the date code but wherever you use it everything needs to be about 70° to cure. Epoxy has to have heat to cure. I'm guessing that is the problem.

I figured everything G is a garbage overpriced product