RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: S&W Mod 19 Nickel Value??

Boolit Buddy

S&W Mod 19 Nickel Value??

A local guy has a S&W 19-x, nickel finish with 4” barrel, pinned and recessed.
    From the pictures it looks new/excellent condition, he wants to trade for a Uberti 1873 saddle ring carbine I’ve got.

He says his Smith is worth $1100+, ands wants to trade straight across for my rifle. I’ve looked on gunbroker and the prices are all over the place.

Just wondering what are some real world values on a Smith like that? I’ve got an idea, but don’t know if I’m close, or way off. I think he’s way too high on his estimate, but don’t really know. Usually, I barely glance at stuff like this, I’m not really into K-frames (really any revolver) with adjustable sights, or nickel stuff.

Thanks
    “You’ve got to slow down to be fast” - Dad

Boolit Grand Master
    If he has that gun in 98% condition or better, 1000-1200 seems to be the going rate for nickel 19's in my neck of the woods, more if he has the box.

They have gone up markedly. Even the blue guns are $700-850 in clean shooting condition, more like a grand in mint or near mint conditions. The question is, what do you want? If the Uberti is a safe queen that you don't use much, and you want a great 38 +P revolver for occasional use as a magnum, make the swap, or sell the Uberti and buy another one that is cheaper. If you are contemplating keeping the Smith as a collector's piece, then make the swap. The Smith will appreciate more over the next 10 years than the Uberti. But if the Uberti is a good shooter that you use often, then maybe you want to pass. Used Uberti 1873's hereabouts seem to go for about 1000, so an even swap would seem to be fair, assuming equal condition. Your local market conditions will likely vary.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy
    Ok thanks very much! That’s kinda what I’ve been thinking. I figured his 19 is worth 850-950 so we would be pretty close.
    A swap is kinda the way I’m leaning, the ‘73 is a nice shooter but has a few dings/scratches in the wood. It would be staying here, but I replaced it with a very nice ‘92 saddle ring carbine.

The smith might stay for a while as, it is very nice. But for some reason K-frames don’t really hang around much here. Especially adjustable sight models. Maybe cause there was so many 10s, 14s, 15s & 17s around here yrs ago…
    Now fixed sight N-Frames, those thing multiply. 38/44 HD (model 20s), model 21s, M 22s, m 520s, model 1950s, 44 hand ejectors, those are my kryptonite lol. Even Schofields and 625s happen to show up…
    “You’ve got to slow down to be fast” - Dad

I paid $700 for one with a nickel, 4-inch barrel 19 a couple months ago. I grabbed it as it seemed to be a good price. I saw a new blued one for $900 at the same time. I'd go for the earlier model over a new one if it's in good shape. I had another 19 before the divorce. It was one of the best shooters I ever had. It also feels good in the hand. It's well balanced. I'm glad I had the opportunity to get another for a good price. I think you'll be pleased with it.