WidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Repackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: Lyman #2 for 9mm

Boolit Master

Lyman #2 for 9mm

About a year ago I bought some lead off of a member here on the forum. It contained 5% antimony according to him so I have been mixing in 5% tin to make Lyman #2. Got a new Lee 6 banger mold, the 356-120 tc that members here give high marks to. The #2 alloy has been dropping some fine looking pills. I run my alloy hotter with this mold, about 800 F to get good fill out. Have not gotten out to shoot any of these yet but we shall see. Got a 9mm match grade 1911 barrel out to Doug Guy for a crown, polish and throat job. Being able to seat the boolits out a bit farther should help me get the velocity I want.

Modify a "match grade" barrel before test firing??

Before & after targets would be interesting.

Boolit Master
    I did fire both jacketed and cast before sending it off. It basically had no throat so it was far from ideal for cast boolits. I had a nitrided SW M&P 9mm barrel done by Doug in the past and it improved with cast after that.
    Last edited by Cosmic_Charlie; 02-15-2023 at 09:54 AM.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Moderator Emeritus

I am curious what size those "fine looking pills" are?
    Alloys with higher antimony usually drop smaller.
    Casting with hotter alloy, usually means hotter mold, and that usually means smaller.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I am curious what size those "fine looking pills" are?
    Alloys with higher antimony usually drop smaller.
    Casting with hotter alloy, usually means hotter mold, and that usually means smaller.
    You are right. They weigh less too. I powder coated them and sized them to .357" and it did not take much effort. The barrel that I plan to use them with slugged at .355". I will measure the next batch that I cast before I powder coat them. I probably can shoot them right near groove diameter. 9mm is the only caliber that I powder coat for. These Lee molds can take some time to settle down and give good fill out. Most of my molds besides the hollow point ones I run closer to 700 F and I may be able to do that with this one too.
    Last edited by Cosmic_Charlie; 02-15-2023 at 01:48 PM.

Bullet Sizes & Weights – How to Vary Them

https://www.redding-reloading.com/ma...-moulds-charts

Bullet Sizes & Weights – How to Vary Them
    The bullet diameters and weights presented in this list are based on the use of Taracorp’s Lawrence Magnum bullet alloy (2% tin, 6% antimony, 1/4% arsenic, 91.75% lead).

Bullet diameters and weights will vary considerably depending on the lead casting alloy used. This variation can be as much as 1/2% on the diameter, and 8% on the weight among the most commonly used casting alloys. For example, a .358-158 grain bullet might show a diameter variation of .002", and a 13 grain difference in weight.

Of the most commonly used alloys, wheel weights (.5% tin, 4% antimony, 95% lead) will produce bullets having the smallest diameter and heaviest weight, with such bullets running approximately 1/3% smaller in diameter and 3% heavier than bullets cast with Taracorp's metal. Linotype will produce bullets with the largest diameter and lightest weights. This alloy will produce bullets approximately 1/10% larger and 3% lighter than Taracorp. Other alloys of tin and antimony, with antimony content above 5%, will produce bullets with diameters and weights falling between those cast f rom wheel weights and linotype.

Alloys containing little or no antimony will cast considerably smaller than wheel weights and in some cases will produce bullets too small for adequate sizing.

Within the limitations given above, the weight and diameter of a cast bullet can be adjusted by varying the
    alloy’s antimony content.

The size and weight of bullets of a given alloy will also vary according to casting temperature. Higher temperatures will result in greater shrinkage as the bullet cools, thereby producing a slightly smaller and lighter bullet than one cast of the same alloy at a lower temperature.

Boolit Master
    Just cast some more at 800 F. These measure at .3565"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230215_171928.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	310520
    Last edited by Cosmic_Charlie; 02-16-2023 at 01:58 AM.

Nice bullets they look like they will feed well

Boolit Master
    Okay then, JonB raised a good point. I just cast some more at about 700 F and they measured at .357" to .358" which was eye opening for me. The mold has settled down and fillout is good. I have seen people complain that his mold drops undersized boolits, I have also seen that many casters run their alloy hotter than they need to or they do not use a thermometer at all. It will be some days before I get my barrel back. I am hoping for some good accuracy which has been elusive for me in the 9mm. Jon's comment was a valuable addition to this thread.

Boolit Buddy
    Lyman No2 is very forgiving to cast with at lower temps, which in turn fats up the boolits. A general comment that I realize is after the fact: That bullet proflile does not need added free bore. What seating long accomplishes is getting closer to the lands in the hope of better accuracy and sealing the bore quicker with cast to reduce gas cutting, especially in high pressure cartridges, as opposed to a long jump….
    Hopefully your cast 120 tc boolits shoot as good as they look.
    Willie

Boolit Master
    Interestingly enough, powder coating them at 400f for twenty minutes and letting them cool shrinks them a bit. Guess I will water quench them out of the oven to minimize that.