WidenersRepackboxSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: .243 cast bullets

Boolit Buddy

.243 cast bullets

i got a mold from an old man that was a .243 100 grain cast pointed bullet. not sure on the make of the mold. i cast about 50 rounds and loaded them up with my friends press. i got 1 inch groups at 100 yards with it and open sights. bullets traveling at 2600 fps with a gas check. still having the 3-5 inch 50 yard groups with my 45-70 though.

Boolit Master

Talking

I have two RCBS moulds in 6mm/243Cal a 95gr and a 100 grain and hope to try them out in a 6mm Br later this year but I think the 7mm Br is going to win out. What kind of gun, caliber and load did you shoot this with and do you have pictures of the mould or bullet?

Moderator Emeritus

Ly 84 & 90 gr boolits had a rn profile the RCBS 95 I have is a FP though a small one.
    What was your alloy?
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

stephen perry

craveman

You sound like Superman. There aren't too many guys on this Forum that could shoot 1" groups with any bullet using open sights at 100 yd. Sounds like your 100 grn bullet nearly pointed is Lyman 245 498. Seriously many shooters of Cast will try but not many will achieve 1" groups of any kind on a regular basis at 100 yd. What .243 gun were you shooting with open sights. One inch groups at 100 yd with open sights would shoot Pluto's nose off if you could tie em down for the group. That's great shooting from any factory gun with any bullet.

Stephen Perry
    Angeles BR

Boolit Master

better shot than me.............

Quote Originally Posted by craveman85 View Post
    i got a mold from an old man that was a .243 100 grain cast pointed bullet. not sure on the make of the mold. i cast about 50 rounds and loaded them up with my friends press. i got 1 inch groups at 100 yards with it and open sights. bullets traveling at 2600 fps with a gas check. still having the 3-5 inch 50 yard groups with my 45-70 though.
    Please post a pic of the boolits and load details. Also tell us about the rifle you shot the 1 MOA groups with.

Thanks,
    MJ

I'm looking to try .243 cast ... Anyone else using it ?

Boolit Master
    Every rifle is different. I have an old Lyman mold for the 87 gr Loverin style boolit. My wife's Mossberg 243 routinely gets sub MOA groups at 100 but my old 6mm Rem can't break 3". You never know till you start experimenting.

He's from St Johnsville NY, everyone knows people from St Johnsville can't read rulers. Nice shooting! Craveman85 I'm just up the road a bit in Herkimer

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-FN&highlight=

I have been working with these

BTW: Fritz; shouldn't you be in your southern homestead by now!
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

I should be. Sent you a pm Jim.

Boolit Master
    A fellow used a stock Ruger 77 in 243 Win. to win the CBA championship a few years back, that is Cast boolit benchrest competition.

Boolit Master
    It's been awhile since I shot my 6mm, I worked up a load using the Ideal 245498 cast from med. hard range scrap & WW. I was using 10.0grs. H4227 & 10gr. TrailBoss. Surprisingly both loads shot to the open buckhorn / german silver blade sights and were grouping in 3/4" at 50yds. I moved back to 100yds. and shot a 1 1/4" group. The rifle is a Winchester-Lee straight-pull sporting model chambered in .236 Navy ( 6mm Lee-Navy). I have to use an adjustable appature over my shooting glasses now to see open sights and that group kind of surprised me.

From what I've seen, I thought the 243's were easy to make shoot with cast.
    I'm using the RCBS 95gr or 100gr SP. I dont remember which it is, but they weigh 100gr as cast.

My Rem, the wifes Savage and my brothers Ruger all shoot 1" or a touch under at 100yds, but they are only about 1770 fps.
    Excellent on p-dogs, rabbits and skunks when hollow pointed.

I never see any OAL listed.
    I courious as the how many
    have the gas checks way below
    the cast necks. Likthe Lyman Lovering
    80 gr bollet..
    keep on rolling along.no matter what happens just keep rolling

Boolit Master
    I've had the GC well below the case neck on my .308. But, for my 6mm I do not like to do that. The GC's are a bit 'shorter' and they don't seem to have as good a grip on the bullet. Just a fingernail test so not a conclusive feeling. And, I only use Hornady gas checks when seating below the neck.

I tend toward bore rider bullets unless the rifle has a long neck and/or throat.

Boolit Grand Master

You got the right mould for the 243 ...

The 45-70 mould isn't "the one" ...keep looking ... ask the old man which one he likes !

Old Men tend to know things ... just ask !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    As I remember, the 243 win eclipsed the 6mm rem, because of having a better twist for heavier boolits. That made them much more interesting for taking deer.

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    As I remember, the 243 win eclipsed the 6mm rem, because of having a better twist for heavier boolits. That made them much more interesting for taking deer.
    Then Remington quickened the twist on factory 6 Rem, but the reputational damage was done.
    If I remember right, I think recent 6 Rem is twisted quicker than 243 Win factory offerings.