Inline FabricationLoad DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RepackboxRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Original 1873 ( 1888) 38 WCF shot out bore options

Again, this is an original Winchester 1873 24’ rifle made in 1888 in 38 WCF. Both the Ohaus (rcbs) bullet and Lyman bullet were probably water hardened wheels weights sized to .401. True, I have nothing to loose letting them aircool at maybe 12 BHN compared to 20 BHN water hardened. The Ohaus bullet has a proper crimp groove for when I am using smokeless powder so I need that for cowboy action.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    There are a number of gunsmiths doing good work on lever guns at realistic pricing for today's market. John Taylor has done multiple projects for me and I have been pleased. Depending upon whether you decide to reline or rebarrel, neither is "inexpensive" but quality work is a joy to behold.
    I'm thinking about turning a beater 94 Ranger into a .38-55. From what I understand this is about the easiest lever action to rebarrel.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    Update, Ohaus 40-170 SWC with 8.5 grains unique shot a 5 shot 1 1/8” group at 25 yards and I was constantly hitting a metal plate at 100 yards. Lyman’s 401098 with either 4.5 grains 700X ( cowboy) or 8.5 grains unique ( max) was all over the paper and looks like they tumbled occasionally. The ohaus bullet has a correct crimp groove. I think I am going to keep the gun even though it only shoots 1 bullet accurately at this time. I tried posting a pic but it failed.
    One bullet with reasonable accuracy is good enough.

If I could have gotten my Marlin to shoot at all it would have saved my a lot of money.

Boolit Master

You might continue to scrub and clean, and it might do even better

I ran into this same problem with an 1886 production 1873 in .38 WCF, I paid what would've been a fair price if the bore hadn't been completely rusted out and the rifle incapable of putting a single bullet point-on on a 25 yd. target. My real issue was that the rifle was absolutely fascinating to me. Even to the uninitiated it was very obvious that the rifle had been carried many, many miles and had seen an astounding amount of use in its 130+ years, battered, cracked, bent and worn. No way could I let it go! So off to John Taylor the barrel went to be lined. (Let me say as a side note that Mr. Taylor is absolutely above reproach. I removed the barrel from my rifle and sent it to him expecting in return an invoice which I would pay, after which he would return the barrel. No. Mr. Taylor lined and re-chambered the barrel and returned it to me with an invoice in the box with the barrel!) He did a wonderful job with the liner and at a glance it's all but unnoticeable.
    But most important the rifle shoots splendidly-

(If you look closely at the forearm under the rear sight where it meets the receiver, you can how the wood has been worn away from being carried there.)

1st group at 25 yds.

200 yds.

In the field-

I tested black powder loads quite a bit and with a case-full of Swiss 3Fg and a cast 187 gr. FP, velocities ran a bit over 1400 fps!

So, my suggestion would be to have the barrel lined and enjoy the rifle!

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master

If you can't get the original tube shooting and the gun is otherwise fully functional, I'd send it to Taylor without reservation and have it re-lined for the original 38-.40. He does VERY nice work and it's a fun round.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	.38-40 expanded.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	309208

(Repurposed NOE 180 grain WFN pistol bullet cast of 20-1 from a '73 Winchester)
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.