Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersLee Precision
RepackboxInline FabricationLoad DataSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: warmest mittens

Boolit Master
    I am a year round motorcycle rider in the Midwest. Best thing ever invented was Joe Rocket heated gloves. Lipo batteries last at least ten hours, three different heat settings, wind and water proof. Seriously, my hands sweat in 30 degree weather at 80mph.
    https://www.thewarmingstore.com/joe-...0aAnyZEALw_wcB

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by BLAHUT View Post
    Leather choppers with gauntlets along with wool liners. Then you can throw in a body warmer packet if needed. I have the same problem with meds. This is what I use. Drove dogs for many years and this works.
    Bruce I had no clue what you were talking about. Kept thinking motorcycle "choppers" gloves - duh. Thanks had to look them up. Never thought about them before but will now. My hands and feet are always cold.
    Ron

Boolit Buddy
    Mittens work best with a liner: wool or polyester, even the down ones (expedition, shorties and shooting) I have used needed the 'extra' layer. Finger-less gloves can be handy if you needed to take the mittens off but want to have some warmth with dexterity!
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

Boolit Master
    I hunted out of Nome Ak. for several years on snow machines that didn't have heated grips. What worked for me and my hunting partners was beaver hide mittens with light wool gloves inside. These mittens were hand made about a foot long and fit big enough to use gloves inside and still be a loose fit. Warm hands to -50. For my feet, I used bunny boots which are good to at least -50.

loose fitting U.S. GI long leather mittens over U.S. GI wool mittens -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Master
    When we moved to Alaska 99705...
    I found out I can't get good mittens over my knuckles
    silly little storebought mitten thumbs are useless.
    So wife knit for me huge wool mittens
    and shrunk them to one third their knit size.
    a.k.a. boiled mittens. A lost art?
    She had over 100 hours knitting them,
    $15/hr, $1500 mittens?
    Yup, a lost art...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by .429&H110 View Post
    When we moved to Alaska 99705...
    I found out I can't get good mittens over my knuckles
    silly little storebought mitten thumbs are useless.
    So wife knit for me huge wool mittens
    and shrunk them to one third their knit size.
    a.k.a. boiled mittens. A lost art?
    She had over 100 hours knitting them,
    $15/hr, $1500 mittens?
    Yup, a lost art...
    My wife makes these on a regular bases for grand kids and ???? Boiled is called felting, I think my wife told me ??

Boolit Master
    another vote for chopper (horsehide version) outers over felted wool. Got some in my closet now!
    Loren

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Beaver mittens are the best with some chem packs optional. I always wore thin military surplus wool gloves inside, so if I needed to do something that required dexterity, I could use my still protected my fingers if needed.
    Last edited by GregLaROCHE; 12-13-2022 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Typo

Boolit Master
    I like these but I don't think they're practical for what I want. It'd be funny to watch certain groups react to them.
    https://www.glacierwear.com/fur-vest...her-mitts.html

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    I like these but I don't think they're practical for what I want. It'd be funny to watch certain groups react to them.
    I saw mittens like that made from moose hide with wolf fur on them when I was stationed in Alaska. I lusted after a pair, but realized that I had no earthly use for them once I left Alaska.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    You have found the right hand wear for really cold weather. Any of the fur ones work well but I prefer the beaver ones with a light set of gloves in side.

Boolit Master

they also have sheepskin mitts.
    (might not be very water resistant though)

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

When I was 14 I severed 7 tendons, the ulnar motor and sensory nerves, and the artery in my right wrist. Ever since I've had difficulty keeping the hand warm in winter.

I'm still using my issued wool glove liners inside leather work gloves or lined mittens for snow blowing or sledding.
    Hunting is somewhat more of a challenge as I don't want an exterior glove on my trigger hand. I simply wear the wool glove liner and a hand muff in case I need it.

YMMV
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Moderator Emeritus

I've lived in cold weather for my entire life, but already this year, due to meds that I'm on, I cannot get my hands warm, and it's not even winter yet. I usually use the chemical hand warmer packs but I need something nuclear. I don't hunt, but I hike and snowshoe. I'm thinking down filled, maybe even fur.
    Any suggestions?
    Suffering circulation challenges accompanying the added candle on my birthday cake each March, I "needed" electric/battery warmed socks. Sooo delighted with the Snow Deer brand ones I purchased from Amazon dot com, I elected to purchase their mittens. All I can say is "WOW!" I feel NO heat (e.g., annoying hot spots) but -- e.g., two hours on tractor in 14*C (~ 6*F) snow -- my hands both stayed 100% dry and comfortable! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snow deer mittens.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	308105 I lost no mobility and could move fingers with no challenges, either. The batteries keep heat for several hours, too -- and after this use it only took about 90 minutes to get batteries (Lithium) back up to 100% charge. They do work for me!

Boolit Grand Master
    when it's that cold I stay inside
    seriously when I was a kid I always had cold hands now that I am an old coot
    my hands do not get as cold as they once did can't explain it but thats the way it is
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I just normally keep my hands in my pockets when I’m out in my tree stand and if it’s really cold I’ll take a hot hands pack and throw it in my pocket with them. I can deal with 30 seconds to two minutes of pulling my hands out of my pockets to shoot a deer and then put them back in.

Boolit Buddy
    I like elk hide choppers over wool mitts.

Here are some cowhide for cheap that should work well too.
    https://www.farmandhomesupply.com/ki...ather-tan.html

wool liners.
    https://www.amazon.com/Fox-River-Rag...6&sr=8-18&th=1

Warmer would be modern military over mitts with insulation and pile
    U.S. Military Surplus ECW Mittens, Used
    https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...used?a=2165102