Inline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
Load DataReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: Any FN 49 experts here?

Boolit Master

Any FN 49 experts here?

Looking for info on putting an SAFN back together.

It's a 7mm, missing parts. Bolt, receiver cover, recoil springs and handguards. Plus a few small parts. It's like someone took it apart to clean it an didn't put it together.

Anyhow, there are parts for 8x57 an 06 around, can these be used to get back on the road?

I'm no expert on them, I had one in .30 years ago. I don't see why .30 or 8mm Mauser parts wouldn't get the gun back to shooting shape again, they all use the same basic cartridge head size. It would be wise to check head space and lock-up. As I recall the FN-49 uses a tilting lock, and that fit could be critical. If buying parts from a big name place, ask or google/youtube could be your friend there.

We can rebarrel M-1 rifles in 7.62x51 NATO and other calibers using the same receiver and bolt just making sure of head space, same with many other rifles.
    Liberalism is a cult divorced from reality.

Boolit Master
    I was thinking that the bolt wouldn't be a huge issue, maybe springs and anything that was included in manufacture of the 7mm.

I'll keep looking and get a book on the subject, see if that helps before getting parts.

Boolit Master
    30calflash,
    I am no expert, but have a fondness for the ABL49 FN and own a 7mm. 8mm and .30-06. I would check with Numrich or Sarco for proper replacement parts. Best of luck.
    Adam

Since the FN-49 has an adjustable gas system, springs shouldn't be a big issue.
    Liberalism is a cult divorced from reality.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the replies, I'm getting a list together plus more info regarding it. A friend has one I may be able to see disassembled to double check for everything that's needed.

I got one in 8x57mm. Recommended reading R. Blake Stevens - The rifle that ran out of time. However, the publisher (collector grade publications) went out of business recently and the books themselves have become sought-after collectors items. It's in-depth however and a treasure trove of information including armorer level stuff.
    E Svizzeri sono armatissimi e liberissimi.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCY...7s-n6LwwJNbPGg

I own several FN-49's. The bolt should not be an issue since the carrier is the same and the bolt is the same for that common rim diameter. I'd contact Wolf Springs for the correct "new" spring. A tired spring in these rifles is asking for trouble.
    The 7x57 Mauser FN-49 can be finicky about what bullet weight it likes and the loading / powder burn rate ( dwell time ) that will cycle the action without being very hard on the fired brass.
    I would start with the gas regulator all the way open and close three clicks to start with. On my 7mm rifles the difference from not cycling to trying to rip the base off the case is just a couple of clicks closed.
    You want the fired cases out at one o'clock at about 6-8 feet. A hard primer is needed to prevent Slam-Fires in these rifles.
    Check Youtube on the 7MM FN-49 as there some good info on reloading for it and what to watch out for.

Boolit Master
    Awesome, thanks!

The Stevens book is pricey, will try to attain info from other sources. I do have a budget to get this back online, or it will take longer than i hope for.

.. sorry .. meant this one here (as well)

Gesendet von meinem SM-G973F mit Tapatalk
    E Svizzeri sono armatissimi e liberissimi.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCY...7s-n6LwwJNbPGg

I have (2) 7mm and a Lux 30/06. Write down what RAPIDROB says because that is gospel for the rifles. Gas adjustment is easy to regulate as long as you stay with THAT load (I have found in mine). Deviate much from that and you either have a single shot or a 30' brass throwing brass eating machine. Not such a big deal in 30/06 but gets spendy in 7mm. They are great rifles! I went down the rabbit hole and got slings, bayonets, and a grenade launcher. I have both the books mentioned and prefer Johnson's.

rmcc
    fools rush in where angels fear to tread...Alexander Pope

Boolit Master
    My experience with my beloved ABL49 rifles and cast boolits is: JUST Turn OFF the Gas system and Manually cycle the bolt to extract the fired brass in hand. When snow is on my ranges, no matter. I recover ALL my brass.

Adam