RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWidenersRepackbox
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: whats your favorite splitting axe?

Boolit Master
    finding wood handles
    Off topic a bit here but I did get the brush hook my Gramps had. (according to Wiki it's antique, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brush_hook ). No one knew what I was looking for when I needed a handle, it was broken from long ago. I finally found one that kinda fit, but that tool reminds me of so much.
    Most of the tanks are gone and the windows don't rattle anymore. I won't be able to sleep now.

Boolit Buddy
    20ton hydraulic spiltter is my favorite splitting axe
    Worth every penny of the $800 I paid for it new. What took me a week to do with a maul, I can do in an hour or two with the splitter. It's just the harbor freight model, not top of the line or the best design but even after sitting a year with the same gas starts on the 2nd or 3rd pull. 1st or 2nd pull if been started recently. Only had it 8 years or so but still going strong. Looks like they're running around $1100 now due to bidenflation.
    Last edited by lksmith; 09-06-2022 at 10:46 PM.

Boolit Master
    Like many of you, I rehaft rather than replace. Old heads, when you can get them, are much better than the new ones, but the new ones are serviceable, but usually need work to do the job. Mauls in particular tend to have less than proper edge angles, and can require some serious reworking on a grinder or belt sander before you can get any real work done with them.
    Chicken Little has finally found an audience

Boolit Master
    Duplicate post
    Last edited by fixit; 09-12-2022 at 10:02 AM.
    Chicken Little has finally found an audience

Boolit Master
    I have beat & banged on chunks of wood my entire life with everything under the sun , all I can say is thank goodness for the log splitter .

Boolit Master
    My favorite splitting axe is the one I hand over to my son-in-law.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Thin Man View Post
    My favorite splitting axe is the one I hand over to my son-in-law.
    Yeah, the only way to go!
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

Boolit Grand Master

I used a Fiskars splitting maul along with a wedge and maul for over 30 years. The sharpened Fiskars was even better than a monster maul. But we had to split a lot of twisty elm wood.

Boolit Grand Master

The one that someone else is using to split wood for me .

The worst mistake I ever made was converting a gas fireplace back to it's original wood burning form . I thought a wood burning fireplace would be so nice . I went outside and all the neighbors were looking at my chimney and one said it must have been 30 years since we've seen smoke from that chimney ... it was converted to gas in the 1950's !
    After a couple three winters I learned what a pain wood is ... cutting , splitting , hauling , stacking , keeping it dry , fighting termites ....hauling wood into the house ... I didn't have a clue so danged much work was involved ...
    Turning on a gas valve and lighting the burner beats cutting and splitting firewood Seven Ways to Sunday !

Thank goodness for Home Depot and their sales on Fire Logs ... wood will work you to death !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    However, I still use a Gransfor Bruks maul -- 'specially when I cut one or two trees . . . Attachment 303541

A Gransfors Bruk splitting maul is my main tool. It's a 5.5 lb head and comes to you razor sharp. Holds an edge well and I tune it up with a fine stone after every use. My backup is a 10 lb sledge, unknown origin, I bought the head all rusted up at a yard sale and re-handled it, and three steel wedges. I've re-handled the sledge several times but the Gransfors Bruk maul is strong as can be and has that steel collar. Not even a crack after more than six years and all the cords it's split.

I heated exclusively with wood for three years, when we had a little cabin with an old-style natural circulation hearth percolator for the main heat, and a Franklin style wood stove in the master. Now we have a much larger house and use central heat, but we keep it low and run my grandfather's Buck stove insert in the living room and a Minute Man corner fan to push the air out into the rest of the house. We had power go out for several days and it got down to 14 degrees F outside, but we hung curtains in the living room and the family stayed warm. The main floor of the house even stayed in the low 50s.

The cabin had a great setup. The large brick hearth stood in the center of the house, and the master's wood stove shared the bricks on the other side of the wall. Even though there was no electric fan, when the percolator hearth got a good heat in it, it blew hot air out the top vents with force. Most times we didn't light the master wood stove because the bricks got hot enough from the main fireplace that the radiant heat kept it warm.

Boolit Mold
    i split a lot of wood with a 3.5 lb axe once u get the hang of a slight angle when u swing u can split any wood

Boolit Mold
    i split a lot of wood with a 3.5 lb axe once u get the hang of a slight angle when u swing u can split any wood