Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan Reloading
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do I ship a pistol back to the manufacturer.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    Watching. I need to send a 3 screw Blackhawk to Ruger.
    Exercise caution here. Note: I've never sent anything to Ruger, but many here have.

If I recall correctly Ruger alters ALL 3 screws into their transfer bar system.

If your sixgun is a .357 Max you will never see it again. They confiscate them all.
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Master

To the OP.

There are no circumstances under the law that in individual may mail (USPS) a handgun, ever, from one state to another, as far as I know. An FFL holder can and it's virtually always the cheapest way to mail one, depending on the FFL's fee.

If I were going to do such a thing I'd take the pistol, an appropo sized flat rate box, packing materials & tape all to the FFL of my choice. I think I would buy from the USPS a shipping label with insurance and take it with me too. With his return address on it. Show him it's unloaded, tell my story and then with his agreement pack it up right in front of him for him to mail off. He'll want to slip a copy of his license in. If he won't work with you go somewhere else if possible.

Good luck.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Catshooter View Post
    To the OP.

There are no circumstances under the law that in individual may mail (USPS) a handgun, ever, from one state to another, as far as I know. An FFL holder can and it's virtually always the cheapest way to mail one, depending on the FFL's fee.

If I were going to do such a thing I'd take the pistol, an appropo sized flat rate box, packing materials & tape all to the FFL of my choice. I think I would buy from the USPS a shipping label with insurance and take it with me too. With his return address on it. Show him it's unloaded, tell my story and then with his agreement pack it up right in front of him for him to mail off. He'll want to slip a copy of his license in. If he won't work with you go somewhere else if possible.

Good luck.
    One thing I do know, YOU CAN’T SHIP A FIREARM or AMMUNITION through the usps (United States Postal Service)! No one can. I do believe it’s a federal offense if you’re caught trying.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by poppy42 View Post
    One thing I do know, YOU CAN’T SHIP A FIREARM or AMMUNITION through the usps (United States Postal Service)! No one can. I do believe it’s a federal offense if you’re caught trying.
    If by "YOU" you mean a person, at least as far as a firearm goes, you're correct. An FFL holder can though.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by contender1 View Post
    "Watching. I need to send a 3 screw Blackhawk to Ruger."

What's wrong with the Ruger?
    Where do I start? A good friend and my casting mentor had the gun and gave it to me before he died. He had started converting it to .41 Magnum. He bored the cylinder and replaced the barrel but never finished the job. It was sitting near a can of CLP that was lying on its side and ironically rusted through, spraying the propellant on guns and ammunition near it.

All of the nearby items corroded or rusted, even his reproduction 44 caliber cap and ball pistol that was in its original box. The Ruger’s fire control and cylinder advance components were all corroded. The entire gun was rusted. I replaced the barrel and polished the frame but it’s eligible for the transfer bar upgrade which will take care of the damaged small parts. It needs a new .357 cylinder, ejector rod/housing assembly and refinishing. I would be happy with replacement original parts but Ruger will only replace them with the transfer bar parts and they won’t sell parts that require gunsmith fitting.

Other than that it’s a nice gun.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    Where do I start? A good friend and my casting mentor had the gun and gave it to me before he died. He had started converting it to .41 Magnum. He bored the cylinder and replaced the barrel but never finished the job. It was sitting near a can of CLP that was lying on its side and ironically rusted through, spraying the propellant on guns and ammunition near it.

All of the nearby items corroded or rusted, even his reproduction 44 caliber cap and ball pistol that was in its original box. The Ruger’s fire control and cylinder advance components were all corroded. The entire gun was rusted. I replaced the barrel and polished the frame but it’s eligible for the transfer bar upgrade which will take care of the damaged small parts. It needs a new .357 cylinder, ejector rod/housing assembly and refinishing. I would be happy with replacement original parts but Ruger will only replace them with the transfer bar parts and they won’t sell parts that require gunsmith fitting.

Other than that it’s a nice gun.
    So what’s this got to do with shipping a gun back to that manufacture ?
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Grand Master

One thing I do know, YOU CAN’T SHIP A FIREARM or AMMUNITION through the usps (United States Postal Service)! No one can.
    NOT TRUE! I regularly ship and receive long guns through USPS. I just mailed one to a dealer in CA last Thursday, cost me $65.80 with insurance. You CANNOT ship a pistol through them at all.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    For a handgun you need to go to an FFL dealer. They can ship it cheap, you can't. Or at least I haven't found a way, but the dealer can.
    I have used a local dealer twice to ship a handgun for me. An FFL holder can legally mail a handgun to the dealer, while UPS or FEDEX require it to be sent next day air. $20.00 vs $80.00. The last time, the factory was unable to deliver it to the dealer (he is only open on weekends) so they sent it directly to me via FEDEX.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master

So what’s this got to do with shipping a gun back to that manufacture ?
    Contender1 asked what was wrong with the Ruger after I commented that I was watching the thread because I needed to send it back to the manufacturer. I just answered his question.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Grand Master
    Take the small parts out and keep them seperate. They might be salvagable and a collector of 3 screw Rugers might want them. As said, it seems like your only recourse is to send it thru an FFL

Boolit Master

Thanks. Ruger says they will return them. It’s fully disassembled already. The parts are damaged from the corrosion and unsafe to use. When the hammer will cock, the trigger pull is “upon touching.”