Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2Wideners
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: 5744 load for 40-65

Boolit Man

5744 load for 40-65

I'm trying to find the max load for a 420gr money bullet for my 40-65. Lyman list their 400gr stover bullet at 400gr. at 22gr max load. Should I reduce the load for the 420gr money bullet? Thanks, Rob

Boolit Master
    Yes>> reduce the load and work up< I use 27 grs of 5744 with a 515 pure lead in my 45/70 guide gun, for big bears when fishing>> Nasty on both ends>> You do not say what type of gun ??

Boolit Man
    Its a 1885 high wall falling block 40-65. 30" barrel 14 twist. Yes but what I'm wondering is what is the max load If the stover 400 gr. is 5744 22gr. Is the max load. And the money bullet is 20gr. heavier. Is it safe to say the 420gr. bullet is ok with 22gr. max load?

Boolit Master

what the heck is a Money Bullet? a search in vain

besides a plethora of information explaining the distant history and use of bullet type currencies, the closest thing I found explaining an actual 'money bullet' used for shooting was on the Shiloh Rifle forum and it said this:

If my history is correct, the "money bullet" was the product of Dan Theodore and Doc Lay in their search for a good long-range bullet profile. After testing various design profiles, they concluded on what was historically identical to what is known as the "medford" bullet.

As far as the naming of "money bullet"; I've heard two different theories. One is that the bullet shot so well that it "shot on the money" or some kind of street talk like "that bullet is money." The second is that Doc's personal rifle was nicknamed his "money rifle" making his bullet the "money bullet." I never looked into it further as it sounds like a never ending rabbit hole.
    And a pic of the bullet profile here: https://www.buffaloarms.com/409-420-...m409420m6.html

Just in case I'm not the only one who had no clue as to who/what a Money Bullet is, or why we never heard of it...
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy
    Greetings,

I also have an 1885 Browning in 40-65 with 34" barrel.

Using Gordon's Reloading Tool I get the following prediction...

R-P cases and a Paul Jones 443 grain bullet sized 0.411" with 20:1 alloy.

2.973" overall length.

Bullet seating depth is 0.555". Seat deeper = Higher Pressure.

22.0 grains of Accurate 5744 calculates to 23,000 PSI @ 1290 FPS (89% powder burned)

At 24.0 grains Accurate 5744 I get a "Close to Maximum Pressure" warning. (MAX CIP Pressure is 30458 PSI)

BEAR IN MIND THE ABOVE ARE CALCULATIONS. I HAVE NOT FIRED ANY TO PROVE OUT THE RESULTS.

Cheers,

Dave

Boolit Master
    Why do you want max load?? You will get best accuracy at about 1 to 2 grains below max>> on proven loads> start low, work up and see where your accuracy is?? Will barrel stabilize you bullet?? Is your bullet soft lead or very hard lead?? A friend i used to shoot with, used very hard lead with a gas check and a very light load of unique (sp) wone many sillioet matches, hunted deer with his load, killed clean>

Boolit Man
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1399.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	303644
    Quote Originally Posted by BLAHUT View Post
    Why do you want max load?? You will get best accuracy at about 1 to 2 grains below max>> on proven loads> start low, work up and see where your accuracy is?? Will barrel stabilize you bullet?? Is your bullet soft lead or very hard lead?? A friend i used to shoot with, used very hard lead with a gas check and a very light load of unique (sp) wone many sillioet matches, hunted deer with his load, killed clean>
    I've started with 20.0gr. The barrel is 30" and 14 twist so it handle the larger bullet pretty well.
    Last edited by RobP1; 08-29-2022 at 10:47 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Determine o. a. l then fill case to base of bullet with Swiss 1.5f

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by DonHowe View Post
    Determine o. a. l then fill case to base of bullet with Swiss 1.5f
    Don I would probably do that if I was loading black powder ( although I'm not a big fan of Swiss) But this thread is about smokeless 5744.

Accurate used to provide a formula to calculate the minimum and maximum load for any cartridge you want.

It was to fill the case to the where the base of the chosen bullet would be, weigh that charge, then multiply that by a min and max percentage to get the proper reduced load.

I don't have the percentages at hand and my google-fu isn't working.

Perhaps someone will chime in with the real percentages, I don't trust my memory to quote load data.

And if you're new to 5744, be aware it's not the cleanest burning powder. Accurate used to put a disclaimer out that 5744 would leave unburnt kernels in the barrel and action.

Certainly did for me, but it does shoot extremely well.