RepackboxLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline FabricationLee Precision
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: case filler size & shape

Boolit Buddy

case filler size & shape

good morning;

Using a filler with a 283 grain gas check cast bullet and 35 grains of imr 3031 in a 375 Weatherby case. I know i‘m over thinking this but just trying to control a variable I can control, it’s the shape of filler.

Easy to have square or rectangle shape filler but does anyone use a round filler? if so how did you cut the filler into a round shape? Thx for any input.

rp

I'd recommend not pursuing a case "filler," per se -- but rather a powder "positioner,"
    A marble-sized loose tuft of either dacron (new school) or better, Kapok (old school)
    poked into the case/down loosely against the powder is suggested.

Boolit Grand Master

If a sufficient size of Dacron (just enought to fill the space between powder and bullet base) is just poked into the case it will fluff out or expand to fill the air space. It doesn't matter if it was square, round or just a pinched off piece to begin with.

Neither Dacron or kapok or any other material should be bushed down onto the powder leaving a space between it and the gullet base as that is a "wad" not a fller.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Neither Dacron or kapok or any other material should be bushed down
    onto the powder leaving a space between it and the gullet base as that
    is a "wad" not a filler.
    I have found (FWIW/YMMV *), that loose a "marble-sized " ½-grain/tuft of loose (not compacted) kapok
    -- pressed into the case to contact the powder/hold it in place (still not compacted), is immediately blown
    out of position with primer ignition, is a "soft" material as opposed to "wad-like", and is completely consumed
    upon firing...

...and leaves no two-inch-long fuzzy caterpillars all over the place on the range ahead of the shooting bench.

* (IMHO)

Boolit Master

mehavey, many years ago I ringed the chamber of a really nice Winchester '94BB rifle by doing what you are doing. Be careful.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

(. . . not compacted )