RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Suggestions needed on alloy

Boolit Bub

Suggestions needed on alloy

Nub questions for sure please excuse.

I've finally ran out of WW and I'm trying to figure out the best method to use going forward.
    I've got 120 lbs of range lead that I have not melted yet and a small amount of pewter on hand. What would be the best route to get back to ingots around ~12 like I've been using? I guess my concern is how to get the variable of the range lead sorted out? Should I just make batches into ingots, then test the hardness, and then use the formula each time? I currently use a big iron skillet to melt but I know it's not going to hold that much. Maybe I should invest in a bigger pot? These are the questions that I hope others have already tackled.

Additional info, not new to casting but never used range lead, only used clip on and stick on wheel weights in the past. I plan to shoot mostly pistol non-magnum loads that are powder coated. Thought someone may could give me some direction to a good process for using range lead going forward.

For handguns stuff, or really anything under about 1500 fps, I'd just use it the way it is.

If you want to get scientific, melt it all down and get it into ingots.
    There's a guy here who will analyze it.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 08-24-2022 at 05:44 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    For handguns stuff, or really anything under about 1500 fps, I'd just use it the way it is.

If you want to get scientific, melt it all down and get it into ingots.
    There's a guy here who will analyze a pound of it for (I think) the price of keeping your sample.
    Thanks for that, I was just thinking about trying to keep some form of consistency as I go. I haven't used the range lead myself but I noticed the Lead Alloy Calculator Spreadsheet shows it as 10 avg. Also curious how much difference might be observed from batch to batch. If it's mostly pistol range lead if 8 would be the probable minimum?

Boolit Buddy
    The range lead I collect myself is about BHN 9, it's about 1/3 cast pistol, 1/3 jacketed pistol, 1/3 mixed rifle bullets.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by rmark View Post
    The range lead I collect myself is about BHN 9, it's about 1/3 cast pistol, 1/3 jacketed pistol, 1/3 mixed rifle bullets.
    Thanks,

Boolit Bub
    Do you find the need to add much Sn in this scenario?

Disregard -original reply clarified that for me.

The jacketed rifle and pistol cores are pretty much pure Lead.

The solid Lead boolits on the pistol range will vary where ever you are.
    If it's folks shooting factory Lead ones, it'll be pretty pure too.
    If there is a lot of cast Lead from reloads, it'll tend to be harder.

You might want to melt out the jacket cores and set it aside as being rather soft/pure.
    Then melt the solid Lead boolits separately and see what ya got, then go from there.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    You might want to melt out the jacket cores and set it aside as being rather soft/pure.
    Then melt the solid Lead boolits separately and see what ya got, then go from there.
    Neat thought, I hadn't even considered sorting them. It looks like what I've got is probably 2/3 jacketed and 1/3 cast/powder coated.

Boolit Master
    BNE is the one who does xrf analyses for forum members. He specifies a pea sized specimen that he flattens and scrapes clean for actual use, and a separate 1# of clean lead as compensation for each analysis run.

He has other requirements as well, needed to streamline his process, as so many use his services. Check with him and follow them scrupulously.

Each shovelful of recovered bullets out of the berm will differ in content. If you want the same content for all, you have to melt it all together and cast ingots out of the one pot. If you don’t have the pot capacity to do all of it at once, then you can do this: melt in batches, casting the same number of equally sized ingots from each (leftover lead in the bottom of the pot is the start of the next batch, with only the last pot maybe having the odd number). Then combine the same number of ingots from each batch into an empty pot to make a mix of equal amounts of alloy from all batches. When you empty the pot enough, add more ingots in equal number from each of the original batches. All the new ingots will have the same mix so long as you’ve added from each original batch equally. One analysis from one ingot of the recombined alloy should serve for everything.

It’s twice the work, time and propane, with the payoff being true consistency. It’s easier to do with a bigger pot.

Boolit Bub
    Sound like long term I need to start looking for a larger pot irregardless of the method. I can see that being a big help both for faster processing and consistency. Previously I used a large cast iron skillet and that worked just fine for wheel weights into ingots. I previously processed them as clip on vs stick on.
    Great input gentlemen.

Boolit Master

WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    Wow, that's great information. That data helps choose what to do with it based on what I need at the time.

Boolit Master

Net, with range scrap there's no telling what the alloy will be that you end up with. I've always just melted it and poured it into ingots. It's worked well for me up to around 1500 fps. In more recent years I've been buying known alloys and pure lead and mixing my own alloy, usually 94-3-3. This is essentially COWW + 2% tin. You definitely are going to want a bigger pot! A cut off old propane tank works great!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Net View Post
    Neat thought, I hadn't even considered sorting them.
    According to the official redneck method:
    That sounds like a pretty good batch to melt all together and use for slow to medium speeds.
    A big pot to melt in all in at once is great, but sorted, you can get a fair consistency 15-20 pounds at a time.
    Do a little math, and you'll find 20 pounds of one batch gets a bunch of .38s and about 4-500 .45s.

If you want to start getting scientific, you might get one of those Lee hardness testers.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Bub
    This has been great information. I think the answer for me is multiple folds. I'm trying to get a new path forward using range lead from my local berm. I even ordered some ingots from the vendor section to compare what I make. I'm sure after reading on this topic that just casting what I have will work for non magnum/most of my shooting. However, I was also trying to think about having some that is harder as well. I did buy some foundry/mono to have on hand. I may try to hand pick out some of the cast/powder coated into their own batch.
    I do have the Lee hardness tester so I can get an idea of each batch and label it. I'm trying to change my method and get out of the requirement to find WW. It was very easy to know what I was going to get when I could get buckets of those.

Boolit Master
    "I may try to hand pick out some of the cast/powder coated into their own batch."

Perhaps you might consider that many post about using a soft alloy with powder coating. What exactly do you think this would produce for an alloy? A more realistic idea would be to melt your recovered bullets, test them, "sweeten" if necessary, and have a big batch of alloy to work with.