Reloading EverythingLoad DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWideners
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I paid too much for primers emotional support thread

Boolit Master

I bought SRPs for my 38 loads as it’s $96 per brick after tax. So It’s not a bad price!
    It’s just what it is, and it’s going to be that way for a long time.

Only problem I have is that I will eat PBJ to save for primers, but my Jif makes my stomach hurt! LOL
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Master
    YES! I paid too much but now I have them and should be good to go for at least a few years.

Boolit Master

primers have bumped between 90 and 150.. it's sad. If I find some I need.. I usually get them if around 100 $

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty Red View Post
    I bought SRPs for my 38 loads as it’s $96 per brick after tax. So It’s not a bad price!
    It’s just what it is, and it’s going to be that way for a long time.

Only problem I have is that I will eat PBJ to save for primers, but my Jif makes my stomach hurt! LOL
    Switch to Skippy!

Boolit Master
    I only wish I had foreseen the spread. Back when primers were $28/K for Federals I thought LPP was all I would ever shoot. Silly me! So I'm paying $90/K for what I need.

At my age, if not Now, When?
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    I only wish I had foreseen the spread. Back when primers were $28/K for Federals I thought LPP was all I would ever shoot. Silly me! So I'm paying $90/K for what I need.

Yep, I'm 61 and have an implantable defibrillator. I might not have 2 or 3 years for prices to come down. If I am still around and they do, well that's all the better.

At $5/gallon for gas and $6-7/gallon for diesel a $100/1000 for primers seems right in line. Luckily I am set for now but I would be happy to buy at $100/1000 and worry more about gas, diesel and primers being unavailable at any price in the near future.

Boolit Master
    IF I ever develop the capability to manufacture/re-manufacture primers, THEN I might not balk at @$100/k primers. I paid more than that, recently, but now that I'm not COMPLETELY out, primers need to drop some, before I'm interested in more.

PERSONALLY, I share the O.P.'s despair and disdain.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post

A lot of truth in that. The younger guys with kids to raise, and not in established careers, are hurt by this a lot more than we old timers. Plus we have "stuff" we can sell...well least some of us do. By that I mean we have guns/molds we bought years ago that have not been used much and we will not miss them if we sell them to guy a few thousand primers or lbs of powder.

$5 gas is not hurting me too much. I am not commuting 50 miles a day anymore. I can make do with one trip (50 miles round trip) to town a week to go to church and shop - about $12. 250 miles a week at 22 mpg would be costing me $60/wk.
    Don Verna

I just paid $180 for 2K. Hated to do it, but now I can breath a bit easier -- Bring on the Zombies!!

Boolit Master
    I recently purchased 5K of Ginex SP primers from Midsouth for $399. I believe that these are the Bosnian primers that the OP refered to. Would have prefered Federal, but they are unobtanium. Hadn't had the chance to load any of the Ginex yet, but I have read good reviews. Never heard of them until a few months ago. Comes out to $80 per K, plus shipping and hazmat. Still too much. I am getting up there in years, and just waiting for the prices to come down any longer, is not a good option.

Boolit Master
    let us know how those ginex primers loads and work. they are supposedly a NATO supplier and they are the only primers that are supposedly waterproof.
    we all missed out when Grafs couldn't unload what they had and prices were as low as $100/5000--the good ole days.
    sometimes off brands work surprisingly well like the seiller belot primers

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post
    Yes, it's 2022 and I've held off buying primers for years. Right now I think with all the gun control in the news and run away inflation we'll soon be looking back at $100 bricks as the good ol' days.

I just paid $900 for 10K Bosnian SPP and I feel a little sick to my stomach.

I need a cold shower and a shoulder to cry on.
    But now you have 10,000 opportunities to add critter to your red beans and rice. Plus next month that $900 may be worth $65

Boolit Master
    To follow up. All the $5/100 primers were sold in a bit over a week. There are still about 4k BR-2 primers at $8/100. So, I am still buying them up, 200 a day.

FWIW, the BR-2 primers were $50/1000 pre-Covid. So, like powder, prices have gone up 25-30%.

Boolit Buddy
    I grabbed 5k of the Bosnian Unis Ginex small pistol primers a while back for more than I would have like to have spent but less than I’m seeing now. I have loaded and shot a few hundred. They are a bit tight in some cases but I have yet to have any issue with performance.

Was just talking with a friend who knows a gun shop owner that's a big military distributor of ammo. Since the first of the year he said he has shipped 3 million rds. of 556 to Afgan, 2.5 mil. to Saudi Arabia, and another couple mil to somewhere in Africa. He says the ammo on the shelves now are just back orders from last year. After those are filled, estimated for the end of Summer, but doesn't know what after that. But, he did say that around Oct. there will be at least a 50% increase in all ammo prices,and not sure what components will be like. So my advice is buy what you want/need and maybe a tad more before the end of Summer.

FJB

RP

Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

If you need them you need them but no, I dont think $100/1000 will be the good ole days. I have recently seen them for $60 plus shipping & hm. I think its going to take another 1-2y, after the Rep win in Nov, people will settle down a bit. Still inflation causes permanent price increases so we wont see $30/1000 agai but maybe $40-50. I am a buyer at $50. I may sing a diff tune when my stock drops below 10K.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master

We've all paid high at one time or another. I would use that pain to motivate you to search. Online retailers are occasionally still getting inventory. My local Sportsman's Warehouse got a large shipment last week. It's 2 sleeves per person. Between me, my wife, and a good friend I've managed to get 2,800. Mostly SP magnum, some SR magnum. All CCI's at $5.20 per. They still have CCI BR-SR at $8.15 a sleeve. Didn't stop today. Point being they're out there, just takes determination. Good luck.

Sadly, the way things are going I highly doubt we will ever see sub $50 bricks. Likely $80-$100 will be normal. Bear in mind the inflation has just started. Prepare to reap the whirlwind.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    But now you have 10,000 opportunities to add critter to your red beans and rice. Plus next month that $900 may be worth $65
    Wise words here

Boolit Master
    I am getting the shakes. I only have 5K of SPP.