Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWidenersReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Did they ever make a full wadcutter for .44 or .45?

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    H&G made them when they were still in business . If I remember the number right it was the 107 for the .44 caliber different weight were designated by A , B or C lightest to heaviest . I bought a six cavity years ago and it was just great and making piles of bullets .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Man
    I love my 240gr type 3 wadcutter mold from Accurate. Perform like a wadcutter, load like a regular boolit, and function in both revolvers and leverguns.

Boolit Master
    Take a SWC and seat it backwards. Reduce the charge a lot from target load levels and work back up.

It has reduced internal case capacity.

Lee used to make one for 44, sold it. Plenty of choices from accurate, though i think a swc does the same thing on paper & is a bit more versatile.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by signalcorpsoperator View Post
    Hey there gents,

WOW! Thanks very much for all the information, and the photos also. I'll make a few notes about some of these mold numbers, and will start keeping an eye out for them.

Really appreciate the help!

Thanks again,
    Tom
    You REALLY should ask for some samples cast from molds you think you might like and give them a try before jumping off the deep end. Members here are typically very helpful when someone is getting started, you may learn a few things you didn't expect once shooting the boolits from the mold you are wanting to buy, bar any unfortunate surprises, you would get to see just how your guns handle a particular sample.

What guns will you shoot these from? And next question of course, have you looked over the forcing cone, and checked the cylinder throats to learn what size they are? This alone will make a sizeable difference in the results you get when they are sized correctly.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Quote Originally Posted by 45DUDE View Post
    I am assuming you cast. I have a 452460 mold I had reamed out longer and ended up with a .245 gr. wad cutter that works good. It groups plenty good at 25 yards but haven't had the time to go longer. A good machine operator should be able to close the mold and measure and make longer. The nose will be the o.d. of the inside lube grooves and longer and almost flat on the end. It should be real easy with an aluminum mold and low cost. Mine will also work in a 45acp but I had to trim the slide stop a little to keep the nose from rubbing on the first boolit installing the magazine. It's not a true wad cutter. I would show a photo but for some reason I can't post a photo on this forum. I have no problem on others. My shooting buddy just bought some dewc's for his 44 mag.

You should do penance after committing the sacrilege of modifying that excellent mold!

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free