WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataRepackbox
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2

Thread: Elmers Bullseye 44+p loads

Elmers Bullseye 44+p loads

I was reading sixguns and happened to see a load of 6.5 bullseye under his bullet in 44 special cases. Anyone use this load? Anyone know what pressure it runs at? Anyone know anything?

I’ve seen 6.0 grains bullseye recommended before. Anyone use this? Anyone offer pressure?

That would def be a "giddy up" load in modern 44 cases, according to published data. 44 Mag shows max 6.0/250. Max looks like ~5.5ish for 44 SPC, looking at Load Data.

6.5 gr BE in a 45 Colt w/ 250 grn bullet is about max published. Saw one load which is 7.0. For 45 Colt, the 6.5/250 is a traditional load equiv. And 45 Colt is supposed to be tad hotter than 44 SPC. (FWIW, I once goofed and mixed BE for Unique/old square cans look almost alike. I loaded 8.5 grn BE/250 grn! {was SUPPOSED to be Unique!} - It was H O T!!!! What I would consider a Proof Load! I shoot 6 in a Uberti SA - and was impressed after I figured out what I did/also why I say it is like a proof load. Also shot a cylinder in the NM BH - still HOT!)

I would guess that the load in Sixguns was in balloon head cases, which have a tad more case capacity, and what Elmer worked with a lot. I MIGHT shoot 6.5/250 in a 44 Mag if I worked up to it in a SBH carefully, but zero reason to shoot it in any 44 SPC for me. My go to (still considered 'up there') is the Keith 250 and 7.5 Unique. But all my 44 SPCs are NM BH or various Smith N Frames. And BE is def hotter by about ~2 grsn diff than Unique in my experience (ie: N grns of BE is ABOUT equivalent to N+2 grns Unique, IN THE BIG BORES - 44/45 bores - again, only in my experience...)

I appreciate the reply and remembering of ballon head cases. I believe it was 1930 that he was using that load, so certainly ballon head cases.

Boolit Master
    Elmer did a lot of by-the-seat-of-his-pants reloading, too, especially in his early days. I have read that he was casting lightweight .458" bullets for the .45-70 and loading them for his .45 Colts, when he was pushing the limits of that cartridge (and the existing guns).
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master

Alliant on line data is .45Colt 250gr 7gr BE. .44spl 250gr is 5.3 BE. but that is probably 15K for .45Colt and 14K for .44spl..............
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I would not shoot any of Elmer ' s old published loads. Other than a very few tested for him and validated by the powder companies, the great majority fall into the category of adventurous experimentation. I see no advantage to using .44 Special loads in modern .44 Magnum revolvers. I do enjoy .44 Magnum loads of reduced power which approximate .44 - 40 or .44 Special energy. Larry Gibson pressure tested those loads, which have been highly satisfactory. I believe he has also tested. 44 Special loads for the Ruger flat tops, which do exceed the SAAMI MAP for the .44 Special, but don't exceed about 20kpsi, being safely within design limits for the modern Italian Colt clones.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.