Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 9mm mishap - anyone recognize the powder?

Boolit Bub

9mm mishap - anyone recognize the powder?

I had something very strange happen on my range last week. 4 years ago, I purchased a bulk pack of 250 "Remanufactured" 115 grn FMJ 9mm loads at a local shooting range. I ran through a couple hundred at the range with no issues. The bulk tub of ammo was stashed in my powder/bullet cabinet, never to reappear since I finally found some 9mm dies and a wonderful 35-135A mold from Accurate molds. Well, last weekend I decided to run through those remaining FMJ's to free up the brass for loading my cast loads. To my surprise, both my son and I noted that they had a pretty sharp recoil but I assumed I had just gotten used to my cast 135's at 930 fps and these loads were "normal" for FMJ "factory/remanufactured" Then, my son let out a "What the <explative>!" His hands were coated in black soot and his face (wearing glasses fortunately) caught some debris. Upon inspecting the brass, we discovered it had blown out the side near the base. We cleaned things up and fortunately, his gun was no worse for the wear. Here's where I got really stupid... I assumed that had to be a fluke, possibly a double load, so I proceeded to shoot another mag of the ammo. After 6 or 7 rounds, I noticed that the loaded chamber indicator on my XDS 3.3 was sticking up further than it should. Sure enough, it was broken and when I inspected the pile of brass, I found another ruptured case.

I intend to reach out to the manufacturer, not because I feel they owe me anything, but to give them a heads-up and the lot number just in case there might be more of this stuff floating around and perhaps they can learn from my incident and re-examine their component choices. They have a substantial, ongoing business and website so it's not a fly-by-night guy in his basement that loaded these things.

So, with that background, I pulled the bullets on the remaining rounds and wanted to share a couple photos. The ammo was loaded with 115 grn FMJ's and the six rounds had about 20.5 grains of powder total (3.42 grains each). In 45 years of reloading, I've never had a round get "hotter" sitting on the shelf and I found nothing unusual when I pulled the bullets. I'd be curious to know if anyone else has experienced something like this and if anyone can identify the powder. Very small ball shape for the most part with a few random misshaped granuals throughout.

For the record, I do know - if something doesn't seem right, STOP and error on the side of caution. I was stupid and careless. We were fortunate - nobody got seriously hurt and replacing my loaded chamber indicator was about a 10-minute job.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help with the powder ID.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	powder.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	299413

Name:	powder2.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	148.9 KB 
ID:	299414

Name:	brass.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	299415

Boolit Master

Hard to believe 3.4 grs, of any kind of powder would do that to a 9m/m with that bullet or even heavier. GW

That stuff doesn't look like any canister powder I've ever seen or heard about.

Maybe its some sort of surplus or something from a Communist country.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

The gun was obviously not locked up or the barrel is ramped too much, so the brass is unsupported.
    If the gun failed to go all the way into battery and still fires it may have a problem.
    You fail to mention if both times were with the same gun or different guns.
    If I were to guess, I would say the ammo is oversized or the gun has dirt or metal shavings in the chamber.
    That is what I would check.
    Also, you fail to mention the type of gun and who loaded the ammo.
    The kind of powder is moot as you can guess, but you will never know for sure.

Boolit Master

If I'm understanding correctly. you said you're shooting from a Springfield, but if the brass is reconditioned/used and previously shot through a Glock, then the brass could have developed weak spots (Glock smile ). This is an area of the brass facing the load ramp on Glock barrel (down) that is unsupported. Otherwise, if it's the powder then that powder looks like Win 760. If you have time go here >>>https://www.ilrc.ucf.edu/powders/search.php
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Boolit Buddy
    Some years ago there was some 9mm FMJ on the market under the Olympus brand that I believe was remanufactured in some fashion. It had several reports of hot rounds that caused damage and injury.

Boolit Bub
    My son shoots a Springfield Hellcat and I shoot an XDS 3.3 so it was the same experience with two different guns. Apologies to those who are wanting to know the manufacturer, I'd be in that camp myself. I just don't feel comfortable naming them, even if it may be warranted. As mentioned, they are still in business with a professional website and a wide array of offerings so this must not be a chronic issue. My XDS 3.3 is the only 9mm I own so my normal experience with the first couple hundred rounds 4 years ago would have been with the same gun.

Maybe I won the lottery and there were two weakened cases in the batch and they didn't show up until the last 20 or so rounds. It was certainly a wide assortment of both commercial and military brass.

Bullet set back, is a common cause.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Reloads of brass fired in a Glock and ironed out with a "bulge buster" frequently fail in this manner because the brass is expanded to its elastic limit in the unsupported ramp section, and when reshaped in the bulge buster, causes a localized work hardening which in some cases is accompanied by an incipient crack which acts as a stress riser, being prone to failure in subsequent firing.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 243winxb View Post
    Bullet set back, is a common cause.
    The fact that OP’s XDS issue occurred after 6-7 rounds through the mag could indicate as much. If the rounds that were pulled apart were well crimped or not might be helpful to know. A light or no crimp could result in bullet setting back too far in case, especially after 6-7 previous rounds had been shot.

Boolit Master
    I would be looking at that powder, first off. To me, it distinctly appears to be a mix of several different powders. Even if I weren't experiencing case failures with this ammo, if I pulled one (or more) bullet(s) and found that in the case, I would immediately relegate that ammo to salvage - brass and bullets only.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    What does Hodgdon CLAYS look like? Not saying anything about what the propellant might be, but the charge weight sounds about right, then there's the possibility of a double-charge and...
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kosh75287 View Post
    What does Hodgdon CLAYS look like? Not saying anything about what the propellant might be, but the charge weight sounds about right, then there's the possibility of a double-charge and...
    Doesn't look like that.

Boolit Master
    Might be AA2
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Boolit Bub
    I followed the link provided by Dieselhorses (excellent info by the way) and reviewed all the powders suitable for 9mm. While there's no way to be certain, the random mix of perfect ball shapes and a little of everything else looks just like AA2. A quick search of loads for that powder reveals that 3.4 grains should be well below any danger zone. Regarding bullet setback, I had to get pretty aggressive with my inertia bullet puller to get the bullets to break loose so I'd be surprised if it was setback. I'm inclined to believe maybe this was a case of stressed brass. The other case that "blew" was about half as bad as the photo I shared but much the same behavior. To be on the safe side, that brass has been trashed and I'll stick with my factory-new Starline. Thanks to all who weighed in. Always something to learn here.

I picked up a brass at the range that looked almost exactly like that. Mine was a little less "torn", Brass surrounded the hole with a low wall. I know it was not one of mine as I had been shooting .32sw longs not 9mm. Still had me shaking my head for a while.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Buddy
    Never buy remanufactured ammo, it's not worth it.
    Considering it's reman ammo and they are going to use the cheapest components possible I would put my money on BR-2/Shooter's World Clean Shot.

Does the
    Remanufactured
    ammo use range brass? All different headstamps? If it does, neck tension, bullet hold is different for each round.

Case head separations in FC 40SW brass are fun too. Bad batch in the 70s and I was lucky enough to find some used at the range. Had one yesterday. I'm particular about my 9mm brass.
    Whatever!

The range I shoot at has several USPSA shooters using once fired 9mm brass for loads making 9mm Major power factors as defined by USPSA. These are basically 9mm’s with 357 magnum power. The brass cannot be safely reloaded a third time, even at standard velocities. So, it is left for the brass scavengers—perhaps reloaders. If a reloading company got some of that brass, it would probably reload a few rounds that would blow out.

Here is a link explaining 9mm Major.

https://americanhandgunner.com/discover/whats-9-major/