Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Repackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: 2 1/2 Inch 12 Ga

Boolit Grand Master

2 1/2 Inch 12 Ga

Just finished several boxes of 12 Ga 2 1/2 inch shells for my old doubles and used for the first time a new trimmer from Ballistic Products. This gizzy is spring loaded and trims old paper hulls clean and neat with just a twist. There is no brand on the thing but it is in their catalog. I did a hundred Federal paper hulls in less than 1/2 hour and the roll d=crimps came out perfect.

That’s great. A product that has been tested and didn’t fail is always good news. Thanks for letting us know.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

That is good news. I have a Stevens 16 Ga. that I purchased used in about 1958. I think it dated back to the early 1930s. It proved highly inaccurate. Since I was only about age 16 at the time it took me a number of years and some hap-hazard reading to learn that it was a 2 1/2" chambered shotgun trying to make it in a world of 2 3/4" shells. Finally, about 2008, I had the knowledge and the tooling to ream the chambers out to 2 3/4" plus a little and modify the forcing cones. Shoots really great now. Maybe 8 years ago I did a "do it yourself" thread for reaming shotgun chambers with lots of photos. I don't know if you can still bring it up or not, but it's something you might consider if you want to shoot standard buy-them-anywhere shells. But, custom loading is great fun also.

D

Boolit Grand Master

I have a delrin trimmer (I don't remember who made it) that I use to trim 12 and 16 gauge shells for my older shotguns. In some cases reaming out the chambers is not acceptable or cost efficient.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Bub
    Good to know. I trim mine in a lathe with an X-Acto knife in the tool holder. Very accurate. I say leave the old girl as a 2-1/2" and enjoy loading for it. Squid Boy

Boolit Master

I hunt with 2 1/2 in shells in 16 ga, no prob getting 1oz shot in them. Maybe get more than that in a 12ga. That's enough for most needs. I don't think 2 1/2 in shells are a handy cap at all. I guess if you need to shoot large shot, 1 oz might be a little "thin".