Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: Anyone seen 10 gauge reloading components in stock lately?

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

Anyone seen 10 gauge reloading components in stock lately?

Well, it’s that time of year again. Spring turkey season in a few weeks! I pulled out my inventory and loaded up 9, 3.5” hulls I had laying around for my modern 10. I also had 4 hulls I loaded up for my 1873 Charles Daly. Two RST hulls I loaded and shot last year and a federal and Winchester I cut down to short so added them to the mix. Think I had 8, 2 7/8” already loaded from last year yet for it. Some one was one nice enough to send me sone X10x wads and SP10 wads. I picked up some nickel plated #6 I loaded both with. Patterns great in both guns but with I would have bought #5’s just because it’s always been my goto size for turkeys. Just had some pretty sparse pattens with the old Charles Daly. Started looking for x10x and SP10 wads and looks like they are still non existent.

I have some ballistic products steel shot wads, SP10 lead shot and fiber/card wads. I can spare some if you need. I can maybe spare some hulls as well.

Boolit Buddy
    Ballistic products has them in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by smkummer View Post
    I have some ballistic products steel shot wads, SP10 lead shot and fiber/card wads. I can spare some if you need. I can maybe spare some hulls as well.
    Thanks!

I picked up sp10 wads, #5 copper plated lead shot, and some brass 10 gauge hulls from smkummer. Still looking for X10x gas seals if anyone has any.

Thought ballistic products were out of x10x’s when I checked the other day. I ordered some. Thanks.

When I need anything to load mainly my 10 ga I go to ballistic products , beside for my other shotguns reloading. Not many use 10 ga since the 12 3 1/2 " came out and talk with some gunsmith and dealers that it was to replace the 10 ga . Because of the recoil , I do not how true it is . I say if the recoil is too much , have a better recoil pad put on it. I do that with some of my guns.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

A 12 gauge with a 3.5” load kicks way worse than any 10 gauge I’ve shot. Three inch turkey and buckshot loads kick way worse in my beretta pintail than my 10 gauge. I’m sire it’s because the lighter weight of the 12 gauge guns. My browning gold has a really heavy recoil spring and also pretty heavy to absorb recoil. It’s just a pain to lug around Basie of the extra weight. My 1873 Charles daily 10 gauge SxS recoils similar to heavy 20 gauge loads. I am guessing between the weight of the guns and extra cost of the ammo they lost their popularity.

I loaded up 2oz of #6’s the other other day and roll crimped them. I use to duck hunt for years but but just use my mighty 10’s for turkeys on and off now.

And some some 2 7/8” BP loads for my Damascus. They might be closer to 2 & 5/8” in length by the time I roll crimped them.

Got some goodies in the mail I bought from Smkummer yesterday so I can load a few all brass hulls and try some #5 shot in my Damascus now. Still waiting on the X10x wads from ballistic products. They always seem to be extremely slow with shipping in the past so I’m sure it will take forever to get them.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 04-06-2022 at 09:25 AM.

Rolled a few more yesterday with the #5 shot and FG powder to try. I left the hulls a little longer to see how they would turn out with the 4 pin roller.

Boolit Master
    I see plenty REM and RST hulls and plenty SP-10 wads only thing I don’t see are any of the Gualandi wads . Oh I failed to mention all I see are in my loading room so they’re not going anywhere unless I load for myself .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines