Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
Inline FabricationLoad DataLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Loose LEE

Loose LEE

I picked up a used LEE 2 cavity mold, at a LGS recently, that had a "too good a price" to pass on. Got it home, and noticed that the halves didn't want to align up when you closed the handles. The hinge area, where the mold halves attach to the handles, is quite loose. If you push the halves together, with your hand, they will line up correctly, but the pins seem to be undersize or something. As this is not a "new mold, I don't believe the factory will be much help. Any thoughts out there???
    "[I]Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a Subject to a Citizen." (Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC)

A thoughtful mind, when it sees a Nation's flag, sees not the flag only, but the Nation itself; and whatever may be its symbols, its insignia, he reads chiefly in the flag the Government, the principles, the truths, the history which belongs to the Nation that sets it forth.
    Henry Ward Beecher

"Poor planning, on your part, does not constitute an emergency, on my part..."

Moderator Emeritus

Is this your first Lee 2 cav mold?

The handles are somewhat loosy goosey on new Lee 2 cav molds. They need that somewhat looseness because of overall lack of precise of design and manufacture. My technique is to close the mold halves when in a inverted position, that way the sprue plate aides the alignment. I've read that others will close them with the mold halves resting on a work bench.

If your mold/handles are excessively loose, you can tighten the handle hinge fastener, but don't make it too tight, you want some looseness in it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

What JonB said! Either flip them over to close (gently). Or, if you want to go right side up, use a 6" piece of 2x4 or a piece of aluminum angle stock to rest the mould blocks on while closing. I went with the aluminum agle, worked great! In either case, be GENTLE! The blocks are loose and don't align well, don't force them, they'll provide good service if you take care of them.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Is this your first Lee 2 cav mold?

The handles are somewhat loosy goosey on new Lee 2 cav molds. They need that somewhat looseness because of overall lack of precise of design and manufacture. My technique is to close the mold halves when in a inverted position, that way the sprue plate aides the alignment. I've read that others will close them with the mold halves resting on a work bench.

If your mold/handles are excessively loose, you can tighten the handle hinge fastener, but don't make it too tight, you want some looseness in it.
    I close them with the mould blocks resting on a flat surface ... the rim of the casting pot or any flat surface will do . Tightening the Hinge "fastener" will help but you don't want it too tight ... if your's is a used mould it probably needs some of "The Tighten-Up" on it .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

On the older moulds, they rarely line up without moving the blocks physically in position. I use my mould knocker to gently move the halves in alignment.

This is one of the BEST forums I've been on! You can ask any kind of "low priority" question, and get real thoughtful answers! Thank you all. This is a slightly older LEE mold, I did find the handle hinge nut to be a little loose, and tightened it some, {35+ yr. aircraft mech. calibrated elbows}, the real problem is where the mold halves attach to the handles. I have 2 newer LEE molds that don't have this kind of slop. I wonder if a small piece of shim stock could be inserted somehow in the pivot point...
    Last edited by Prairie Traveler; 03-23-2022 at 02:59 AM.
    "[I]Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a Subject to a Citizen." (Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC)

A thoughtful mind, when it sees a Nation's flag, sees not the flag only, but the Nation itself; and whatever may be its symbols, its insignia, he reads chiefly in the flag the Government, the principles, the truths, the history which belongs to the Nation that sets it forth.
    Henry Ward Beecher

Boolit Master
    Is there room to put in a small "E" clip to take up the space on the loose mold half/handle/pin?
    or even a home made E clip made of some small diameter wire.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Prairie Traveler View Post
    This is one of the BEST forums I've been on! You can ask any kind of "low priority" question, and get real thoughtful answers! Thank you all. This is a slightly older LEE mold, I did find the handle hinge nut to be a little loose, and tightened it some, {35+ yr. aircraft mech. calibrated elbows}, the real problem is where the mold halves attach to the handles. I have 2 newer LEE molds that don't have this kind of slop. I wonder if a small piece of shim stock could be inserted somehow in the pivot point...
    OK, how much slop?
    I'd expect a 35+ yr. aircraft mech. to give a bit more detailed explanation if there is some concern?
    >>> How about some measurements of the newer molds compared to older molds. Is there some visible wear on the older mold from excessive use or abuse?

If the older mold is functional as is, I'd just cast with it, after all it's only a $20 mold. I wouldn't modify it, mostly because I am a bit ham-fisted and it seems the more I fuss with a Lee 2 cav mold, the more likely I'll wreck it. I have numerous expensive molds that are masterpieces of machining, inside and out, and I sure enjoy casting with them. I also have numerous Lee molds, and enjoy casting with them, even though they aren't masterpieces of machining on the outside. Now, if they have issues with the machining of the cavities, well that's another story.

That's my 2˘
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

OK JonB; feeler gauges, digital calipers, slide rule, protractor, and 30' tape coming out! [amazing what you can find at a Goodwill Store]. Oh...please define "excessive use or abuse; to 3 places please.
    More info to follow...
    {I love this forum}

Henry Ward Beecher

Moderator Emeritus

I'm an Electrician. The arc marks on my screwdriver can attest to that. We don't measure anything to 3 places, but I would judge excessive use or abuse, if the tool is no longer functional, LOL
    Hence my saying, "If the older mold is functional as is, I'd just cast with it"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~