Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Load DataWidenersInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: I haven't a clue......

I haven't a clue......

I took a little walk in the forest this afternoon, as the snow is receding, from bare spot to bare spot. Lying in the pine needles was this artifact, a 12 Ga. WW AA shotgun hull. I've never seen anything quite like it, have you?
    Could be it was knawed on by critters. Quite a few squirrels live in that area.

DGClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IM007025.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	295849 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM007027.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	295851

DG

I would hate to see the barrel it came out of.... squirrel nibbles are more like small bites.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Rats and squirrels both have been known to eat plastic.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

I've seen hulls blown off by damaged pump action or semi-autos but they usually take the metal off with the plug and leave the hull intact. Never this kind of failure.
    Did you see ambulance tracks anywhere around? Single tire on the front and double on the back. Or helicopter landing tracks? Check local news from 1 year ago for a hunter rushed to the ER.
    Remarks by President Biden on the Hostage Situation at Congregation Beth Israel in Colleyville, Texas, January 16, 2022:
    "But you can’t stop something like this if someone is on the street buying something from somebody else on the street."

I used to have PET rabbits that liked to chew on phone and electrical wires in the house. There is something in the plastic they like.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    Red or fox squirrels will chew through anything. That is where I would put my money.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Super Moderator

I think it was probably done by mice...

Boolit Buddy
    Old timers around us would cut a shotgun shell around right at the end of the wad when they couldn't afford slugs. If all went well, the shell separated and the front of the shell with the wad and shot went out as a unit, acting as a slug. They called them "cut shells". If any of you guys want to give it a try, I'll watch!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerShooter View Post
    Old timers around us would cut a shotgun shell around right at the end of the wad when they couldn't afford slugs. If all went well, the shell separated and the front of the shell with the wad and shot went out as a unit, acting as a slug. They called them "cut shells". If any of you guys want to give it a try, I'll watch!
    Exactly.
    Gun control is not about guns.

Animals; probably "fancy rats" did that. A "cut" shell has a clean break at the cut.
    Squirrels love chewing on plastic- down here they chew up plastic sprinkler heads and low voltage tree lighting wire.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Something about soy beans or soy bean oil in the making of plastic, don't remember exactly. Know a couple of guys who have had their car's plug wires chewed up while they were "up north" and their car left unattended for the summer.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outer Rondacker View Post
    Red or fox squirrels will chew through anything. That is where I would put my money.
    I agree 100% my climbing treestand that stay out in the woods about six months a year look like a grinder hit them in many spots . They get thru the paint and then it seems to subside .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Don't know if you have martens in the area? They are known for their ability to wreck havoc on electrical installations in cars and farming equipment. They will happily chew the plastic of electrical wires and munch on rubber hoses, causing short circuits and leaks, and probably a self-inflicted electrocution from time to time.
    Cap'n Morgan

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerShooter View Post
    Did you forget to say: "I'll hold your beer"?
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!