RepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Winchester 94 30-30 OAL question

Boolit Master
    I really had a hankering to use the SAECO/Redding 64352 (250 gr 358 FN w/ crimp groove) in my M94AE .356Win, and found that it wasn't too big of a problem to solve its OAL of 0.080" over max:

I found a spare lifter and got 0.080" milled out of the back end, permitting longer cartridges to clear the magazine tube.

Also ground a slight bevel on the bottom edge of the bolt to let the now-slightly-rearward rim clear easier during the lifting cycle.
    Works perfectly, not too big of a deal, really.

Boolit Bub
    For what it’s worth,I being slightly familiar with those two rifles knew why he was referring to the vetterli I’m not sure how similar the carrier design is have heard it was based on the Winchester system,perhaps we shouldn’t be so quick to acknowledge someone’s apparent ignorance before we find out if we are maybe lacking in some essential design history and if we espy some percieved ignorance ask and help rather than mock…MOCKERY… is NOT a good thing…it is a bad ,bad thing ….it should be crushed out!!……. Oh,sorry …,a pet piev

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Every 94 or 336 I have owned fed just fine with bullets/boolits seated to the crimp groove. If you get a jam where the bullet doesn't appear to be coming all the way out of the mag tube and catches on the rear of the latter, you probably have a weak mag spring. If the mag spring is strong enough, it should have no trouble pushing the entire cartridge onto the lifter with gusto. When replacing them, I always add a few extra coils over factory.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lobogunleather View Post
    I once made the mistake of trying some cast bullet loads that were a bit longer than usual OAL in .30-30 Winchester Model 94. Long drive home to completely disassemble the rifle and clear the round that was tying up the action. I won't make that mistake again.
    Push the carrier back down with the round on it - then use a pencil or such to push the round forward into the magazine - while you hold the offending round forward push the loading gate inward - let the long round back out the gate butt first - if you keep the gate held in (open) you can empty the entire magazine out with some jiggling --have done this a few times .

Boolit Grand Master
    I managed to jam up a 94 with a cartridge too long once. I took the retaining cap off the end of the mag tube and removed the spring, etc. and they all just slid right out. Problem solved.

Boolit Grand Master
    I managed to jam up a 94 once. I removed the retaining end of the mag tube and dropped out the spring, etc. and all the rounds slid right out. Problem solved.

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMax View Post
    Really~~~ your comparing a Vetterli's short comings to a Winchesters 94s. {Now there's a stretch.} Quite similar to asking someone if they think the Model T Ford has the same reliability issues as a 2015 Lincoln.
    Well, they are both ford products so the answer would be yes because they are both fords, one an old poj and the other a new poj.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    I managed to jam up a 94 with a cartridge too long once. I took the retaining cap off the end of the mag tube and removed the spring, etc. and they all just slid right out. Problem solved.
    great if that cap screw and cap comes out ok at the range - some do some dont - couple Ubertis with screw in caps come to mind
    all of which says we should be checking function before we go out of the house eh!

Boolit Master
    I have a post-64 Win 94 made about 1968-- which should be the same at the 70's vintage. It will feed from the magazine up to about 2.570, and it will take spitzers over 2.70 as long as I feed single shot (not from the magazine).
    Hick: Iron sights!