RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyLoad DataRepackboxLee Precision
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marlin's in .357 and .44

Boolit Bub

Marlin's in .357 and .44

Added a couple Marlins I wanted to the stable. Picked them up today from the FFL, and unfortunately they are not even close to the shape they were claimed to be in when purchased. This was a cross country sale from a supposed Marlin collector who put these guns in 98% condition. I saw pics, but obviously they weren't good enough. I put these around 85%. Two honest shooters that have been shot plenty in their lives. They weren't even cleaned before shipping, which also irked me. Both are pre-cross bolt safety guns and will make good shooters hopefully, but they aren't collector worthy at all. Working with the seller on trying to see what we can work out, but glad to at least have added these calibers I was looking for.

Was there an inspection period for return with the sale? Not trying to be critical, but if I am looking at a 98-100% gun and I am buying for collectible purposes where condition is so important then I would require close up pictures of enough definition to verify. When someone claims 98% condition then that gun should look almost nib to most. Grading gun condition is somewhat subjective and one’s 95% may be someone else’s 99%. But there is no excuse for mistaking 85% for 98%.

Boolit Master
    That kind of thing is inexcusable. I see a lot ads with pics that are not clear enough to see anything. And they often clain the pictures are the description.

Boolit Bub
    I agree with both of your posts. He offered to take them back and refund me for return shipping. I'm still debating on that or a negotiated partial refund for shooter grade gun values. The 98% he claimed was a bonus to me at the price, but I plan to shoot these anyway, so would be fine keeping them if we can come to an arrangement.

Finding a .357 is hard around here, .44's pop up occasionally but still not often.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    That kind of thing is inexcusable. I see a lot ads with pics that are not clear enough to see anything. And they often clain the pictures are the description.
    That happened when I got my Marlin 32 Winchester special. Pics were not very good but mine was a ftf at a PA FFL. They were helpful in offering a neutral position. There should be an inspection period. Good luck as that is a bit of a difference.

Boolit Buddy
    If you planned on shooting them or carrying in the field, I'd negotiate a better price and keep them. I know these are getting harder to find and the prices are way up. Assuming they function fine. Post some pics if you can!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Bula View Post
    If you planned on shooting them or carrying in the field, I'd negotiate a better price and keep them. I know these are getting harder to find and the prices are way up. Assuming they function fine. Post some pics if you can!
    That's my current plan. I'll get some pics posted when I can.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Depending on what you paid, you still might have gotten a good deal. I have turned down many $1000 offers for my 1982 .357 in good but not great used condition. I saw one like mine that was not unfired but still had factory box and manual go for $1800.00 awhile back.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Depending on what you paid, you still might have gotten a good deal. I have turned down many $1000 offers for my 1982 .357 in good but not great used condition. I saw one like mine that was not unfired but still had factory box and manual go for $1800.00 awhile back.
    Another reason I'm not worried too much about it. Like I said in the first post, the 98% he was claiming was just a nice bonus considering the price and my plan to use them. We agreed to a partial refund which puts me at just under a grand on the .357 which I feel is a good price, and about the same price on the .44 which is a bit high for what it is, but averaged out it's still a decent price for the 2.

Glad to hear it worked out for you.

If they turn out to be trusted best friends, you’ll soon forget the price and condition issues.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    If they turn out to be trusted best friends, you’ll soon forget the price and condition issues.
    This, 100%. I used to have a real cherry 1970's Marlin 1895 and never hunted with it much because it was so nice. A collector gave me almost twice what I had in it and I don't regret letting it go.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

It is amazing to me how many people make a big deal out of the cross bolt safety. Don't get me wrong, I have a bunch of JM stamped Marlins, old ones, newer ones, 50s, 60s, 70s ... as long as mine do not have REM on the barrel, I'm good.

I would not trade my 1894 CB LTD vintage late 90s 38/357 JM Stamped Marlin for a 1980 1894C or even a Texan with an original brass ring.

I've been offered $5k for my last one out of the New Haven factory JM Stamped Marlin 338 MX ... and turned it down. Dang, I do love those cross bolt safeties.

If it ain't somethin' it's always somethin' else ... or, better yet, ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	giphy.gif?cid=790b761107e0fe347f39dcfb4304edc55321056d179f3f26&rid=giphy.gif 
Views:	30 
Size:	2.94 MB 
ID:	297040

IHD congrats on your Marlin double-score. Hold onto those ... they're not making any more of them you know.

https://media2.giphy.com/media/l2Sq7...&rid=giphy.gif

The safety don’t bother me, as it’s so easily replaced by a plug.

Amen Brother ... or, for that matter, walk around with it in the off position. Replace it with a plug and brass ring. Put an ivory insert in it with a little diamond in the middle. Stick a golf cart pencil in there. Knitting needles. A cigarette. Heck .... it's just that it always amazes me how that cross bolt safety bothers people.

Anyways, IHuntDragons, enjoy those rifles. It is amazing what the JM stamped Marlins are going-for these days. Wasn't that long ago that people were practically giving them away. I found a matching pair of Marlin 410s not long ago, called a buddy up in Tennessee, he paid $2400.00 for both of them ... he stole them. They're worth $3k already. Beautiful, pristine, 98% guns.

Those were $550 each ten years ago.

It just amazes me.
    What you think about you do ... what you do, you become.

Boolit Grand Master
    So, whats a 338 MXLR worth? Maybe two boxes of ammo thru it. Still have the box

Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    So, whats a 338 MXLR worth? Maybe two boxes of ammo thru it. Still have the box
    If it is pristine it can be worth a few grand right now. Mine is apparently worth more because it was/is the last rifle that came out of the New Haven facility and I have provenance to prove that from Bob Tinari, their head of customer service at the time. Plus they tell me mine had the finest furniture put on it because it was the last one out of the factory ... and my serial number is significant.

But I have seen standard 338 MXs go for $3k on gun broker.

Here's mine ...

Name:	DSC01553.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	468.4 KB 
ID:	297042

Name:	DSC01554.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	555.3 KB 
ID:	297043

Name:	DSC01548.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	515.6 KB 
ID:	297044

Name:	DSC01555.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	533.4 KB 
ID:	297045

Boolit Grand Master

That is nice wood !! Wood sellers today are calling that near Exibition Grade.
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Quote Originally Posted by missionary5155 View Post
    That is nice wood !! Wood sellers today are calling that near Exibition Grade.
    Thank you ... yeah, that's what I've been told. Bob sent me an email before he shipped the rifle telling me he was going-to make that rifle special, it being the last one to leave the factory before they shut the doors .... when I got it I couldn't believe it and I immediately picked up the phone and called him before FedEx was off the property .... he was locking the doors that day at New Haven. He explained the serial number, why it was the last one in the factory and all that ... I was very very lucky.

It's one of my prized possessions these days ... but I do shoot it from time to time. Not much. I originally bought it to elk hunt with because I had a close call carrying a Tika in 300 WSM and a brown bear where I decided I needed to be able to get off more than one shot faster than I could with a bolt gun. I already owned a bunch of Marlins at the time, had done some SASS/CAS shooting ... so the 338MX seemed like the answer to the question for me.

That's how I ended-up with this rifle. I took it hunting twice but was more concerned with dinging it that filling a tag so now it's basically a safe queen.

Word got out that I had it and I started gettting calls and emails about two years ago with offers to buy it once the serial number was confirmed. Late last year, right after Ruger aquired Marlin, I got a call from a guy calling himself a representative of an interested party ... it was an Arkansas area code and he went to $5,400.00 but I kept turning him down ... I' m not going-to sell it. I wouldn't take $10k for it right now. It's just one of those things ... it was meant for someone special in the old Marlin hierarchy, it's been balanced and blueprinted, trigger stoned, the furniture is the finest they had ... and by pure happenstance it ended-up in my possession, pure dumb luck. Timing. Destiny. Who knows.

I'll leave it to my Son one day probably. Hopefully he'll leave it to his and so-on. Who knows.

Name:	IMG_20130325_174452_749_zps18c32841.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	129.5 KB 
ID:	297054

Boolit Grand Master
    That is Gorgeous wood on that rifle!!!