WidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Opinions wanted for a youth model .22

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Krumhunger View Post
    The Ruger American Rimfire Compact is another bolt action to check out. Really a good shooting rifle for a very reasonable price, and the youth stock is easy to alter to fit a grownup. Uses the same magazine as a 10-22.
    My Ruger American one of the first to be marketed had a synthetic stock and came with both a youth length and an adult length adapter for the but stock, I’m 5’ 10” and I actually like the youth adapter better than the adult, but that’s just me, gun is a tack driver, excellent trigger after you replace the original trigger spring with one from a ball point pen. You won’t be disappointed with a Ruger American.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for all the replies. I agree about the comments concerning semi-autos which is why I mentioned the 22 levers or bolt actions. Luckily today we were able to borrow a Ruger american rimfire for him to fire some and although it was scoped and had a bipod on it he really took to it. If I could find a compact version that may be the ticket. The CZ .22s look really nice but there being none around to handle and about $150-200 more than the Rugers online it'd be kinda hard to make that leap not having any experience with them. Same with the lever guns. I'd love to get a Henry, or Browning, or Marlin 39 for that matter but my goodness the prices are crazy. Its kinda unfortunate to be looking to buy something when the buying isn't all that good price wise.

Boolit Bub
    Don't worry, it won't be the last. If it catches on you will be upgrading/improving. Hopefully that will be the case which will mean the shooting bug took a bite.

We bought a Savage mk2 bolt action youth model for my nephew's 5 ft.tall wife. She grew up gunless near DC and it was the first gun that she had ever fired. By the second magazine she had it down to an art. I'm not an accutrigger fan; but it didn't bother anyone else. I believe that Lakefield in Canada makes them for Savage. Good rifles.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    CZ457 Scout. Comes with a single shot dummy filler in the magwell. Can upgrade to the 5 and 10 rounders when you decide to trust him.
    Good choice.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich/WIS View Post
    When my kids were reaching that age was stationed in Germany. The Canadian R&G near us had an Anchutz Achiever, sort of a low end target rifle, with an adjustable butt stock. The stock used spacers to lengthen the pull as the kids got bigger. With a cheap Tasco 4x it shot, well, like an Anchsutz. My kids and many other have used this rifle and with an additional spacer so have some adults, including me. My kids are grown but do have grand kids, so figured I was set for when my grand kid were old enough. Good plan EXCEPT my grandson is left handed. Lucked onto a nice Rem 581 LH but stock length is still an issue. When he gets big enough will have to determine if and how much to shorten the stock as it is unlikely I can find another LH stock to use.
    Back in the early 90's I bought a Remington Model 581 that had been cut down to a kid's rifle, for my nephew. Today he stands about 6'4" and still shoots it.

What was done: the barrel was cut and crowned to about 18", the stock was cut about 3/4" behind the Monte Carlo (don't remember ever measuring LOP, but it is short) and the trigger was worked over. Lost the front sight in doing so, but the scope didn't care.

If you want a really nice stock for later, maybe contacting one of the companies that make replacement stocks to see if they will do a left handed version? I think Macon stocks over in Warsaw does one for it, not sure.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    Rock Island armory youth bolt action was about $119 2 yes ago. Threaded barrel, 10 shot clip nice little rifle.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by c0wb0y84 View Post
    So my oldest is at the age where he's ready to carry something in the woods more than a bb gun. My .22s are still too long and heavy for him, so I'm looking at the youth models. I'm not interested in crickets or little rascals as I'd like to get something that can grow with him a little more than those. We're not near anyplace that I can take him to try out different ones to see what fits him best and the inventory at LGS is low so I can't even really find one for him to hold. Not an ideal situation.

It seems that I'm gonna have to make an educated guess and hope whatever sounds like a good fit will be what I get and hope it works for him. I'm kinda thinking a lever like the henry golden boy youth or a bolt gun like a compact ruger american. I know a 10/22 is typically a good option but is less interesting to me. Thoughts?
    A fellow kind of getting on in his years (me!) recalls the more-than-BB-gun I was entrusted with. It was (I still have it) a Mossberg Model 43 .22 bolt action. The magazine has a screw in it to allow only shorts, when the screw is in. My dad replaced the Mossberg screw with another, without a head, to make its removal impossible for me (at that age). I was given the rifle, but dad kept the magazine and .22 short ammo. When I wanted to go out with the rifle, it was always prefaced with questions (and yes, I did fib on occaion ) re if both all my chores as well as homework were done. After a while, I got to keep the magazine; then the cherished box of ammo... It was a great learning firearm for me!
    geo

I bought one of these in SS new when they first came out and both of my grandkids grew up shooting it. Unfortunately they have been discontinued so you can only find them on one of the gun auction sites. FYI it will slamfire

Taurus Model 72 Pump-Action Rifle
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Banned
    back in 2000's, i bought a Mossberg bolt action, black synthetic stock and and 18.5" barrel with a cheap 4x scope in 22 for my youngest son(he was 10 or 11yo). i shot it in and i was surprised at 3/4" at 50 yards(i think it was 7 or 10 shots) with rem thunderbolt. i then loaded it up with federal 36gr hp and it was 1/2" at 50 yards. i think i did winchester 36gr hp and it was 1/2+/-" at 50 yards, but i'm not sure. i think the Mossberg was on sale for $100-125, but i'm not sure.

he still uses it and the cheap 4x scope. being an adult, 5'6" and 140lbs, the Mossberg still fits him.

i and my sons' were up camp in the summer and sitting on the porch, listening to red squirrel barking about 100-125 yards away down the creek. it must have been 1/2 hour of him barking, when i decided i have enuff of that crap and get the Mossberg. i lined up the red squirrel, put the crosshairs about 2 or 3" above the squirrel and bang......flop and the legs were twitching. i thought i'd miss it, being a 100-125 yards away, but i shot him square in the head. i got a little more respect of the 22 and the Mossberg.