Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RotoMetals2Load DataSnyders JerkyWideners
Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Marlin 375 Winchester

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Buffalo Bore states on their website that the 2.080 .38-55 brass is best for the .375. Same performance with lower pressure:

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=159
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

I got the 250g Flat nose, plain base mold in today. bottom pour mold. I can run the mold on the mill to adjust the net weight as needed.
    The Star Line brass works fine through the Winchester 94 XTR with the 270g Speer and 1680. Have not shot it yet. Was waiting for the mold to cast and PC a few dozen to test.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    im not no ballistics engineer. but this buffalo bore thing
    how is it possible lower pressure equals same performance.
    as I said before my experience with 375 win is the limiting factor is the amount of powder you can get into the shell behind deep seated bullets.
    I guess maybe they are calculating ft lbs of bullet energy, a slower heavier bullet I guess can have more energy at the target than a lighter faster moving bullet.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Great gun. Don't know if your rifle is a model 375 or the newer model 336 an chambered in 375, I've been shooting mine since 1981. Here's my 2 cents worth. I've shot both the 200 and 250 grain bullets that Winchester initially loaded and sold for this caliber. I've killed countless mule deer and elk in Utah with it. Forget the 235 grain bullet. It's designed for the 375 H&H. You will get no expansion. Forget the 200 grain also. If your going to use j words I have two suggestions. 1. Hawk bullets makes great 250 grain bullets with jacket thicknesses you can pick from. Call them an tell them what your loading and what your hunting, game animal size. 2. Get with Barnes bullets. They also make a great 250 grain bullet for the 375 winny. I also cast a 264 grain FN RCBS. I cast this from a lead/tin alloy 10:1 with gas check and powder coated. The key to getting the most out of this cartridge is the heavy 250+ grain pill. IMHO, if your going to shoot 200 grain bullets in a 375 Winchester, you might as well just stay with shooting a 30-30 with the 170 grain bullet, at least then you'd likely end up with a better sectional density bullet. And the only thing in common with the 38-55 is they look similar. The 375 Winchester is a totally different animal.

My first Elk taken with my Marlin model 375 and chambered in 375 Winchester. 250 grain, taken in the scrub oak an black jack pine transition zone in the La Sal Mountains just east of Moab. Shot at 80 yards while on a dead run.

Last edited by MOA; 02-26-2022 at 08:39 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Buddy
    I have 3 of them, Ruger #3, Winchester BB94, and the Marlin. I use RL7 with jacketed, always used the 220 gr Hornady, fortunately, after they turned their backs on a lot of shooters, discontinuing alot of standbys, I have a few left. With cast I look to IMR3031, I have had great luck with that powder and in a number of medium to bigger bore cartridges. If I was to have to buy jacketed again I would look long and hard at the Sierra 200 gr. Hope this helps....
    crash87
    "An art, to supply a truthful response to someones nagging, busy bodied question(s) such that the person feels as though their question has been answered, but yet, do not understand the answer and are unable to provide a follow up question to gain clarification for fear of appearing to be a dumb ***, when basically having to repeat the question

"LIBERALS ARE ALOT LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS."

crash87, Have you checked the chamber of your #3?
    I've always wanted to know whether Ruger cut them for the 375 Winchester instead of 38-55.
    I have a couple of real 375s; an MGM barrel for Thompson Center, and a custom chambered Marlin 336.
    Groove diameter and chamber length are both different for the two cartridges.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by MOA View Post
    Great gun. Don't know if your rifle is a model 375 or the newer model 336 an chambered in 375, I've been shooting mine since 1981. Here's my 2 cents worth. I've shot both the 200 and 250 grain bullets that Winchester initially loaded and sold for this caliber. I've killed countless mule deer and elk in Utah with it. Forget the 235 grain bullet. It's designed for the 375 H&H. You will get no expansion. Forget the 200 grain also. If your going to use j words I have two suggestions. 1. Hawk bullets makes great 250 grain bullets with jacket thicknesses you can pick from. Call them an tell them what your loading and what your hunting, game animal size. 2. Get with Barnes bullets. They also make a great 250 grain bullet for the 375 winny. I also cast a 264 grain FN RCBS. I cast this from a lead/tin alloy 10:1 with gas check and powder coated. The key to getting the most out of this cartridge is the heavy 250+ grain pill. IMHO, if your going to shoot 200 grain bullets in a 375 Winchester, you might as well just stay with shooting a 30-30 with the 170 grain bullet, at least then you'd likely end up with a better sectional density bullet. And the only thing in common with the 38-55 is they look similar. The 375 Winchester is a totally different animal.

My first Elk taken with my Marlin model 375 and chambered in 375 Winchester. 250 grain, taken in the scrub oak an black jack pine transition zone in the La Sal Mountains just east of Moab. Shot at 80 yards while on a dead run.

Mine is a early model, pre safety. Im in ohio a straight wall cartridge state so I have no use for a 30-30. My interests in this gun are for a light and fast handling and hoping to stay with the 200gr Sierra #2900 if I ever find any. I’ve got thumpers already, 444 marlin, 45-70s,500s&w. If I end up shooting a 250gr bullet I might as well carry my 444. There’s just a substantial difference in how much lighter this 375 feels and it even points better imo.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Well since you've got the 444 no need for the 250 except that weigh does have a good SD. 50 grains more at those 375 shooting ranges in which velocity between 200 and 250 are IMHO insignificant in the trade off of penetration enhancement. It will still swing quick since no scope as you have it now. Hopefully you never get rid of it. I almost missed getting mine.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My two favorite powders for full power 375 Win loads are I 4198 and R 7.

Jedman

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by MOA View Post
    Well since you've got the 444 no need for the 250 except that weigh does have a good SD. 50 grains more at those 375 shooting ranges in which velocity between 200 and 250 are IMHO insignificant in the trade off of penetration enhancement. It will still swing quick since no scope as you have it now. Hopefully you never get rid of it. I almost missed getting mine.
    I was truly on the fence about buying it, but after being offered it at 700.00 I decided to drive 5 hrs round trip to grab it. It is probably going to be a keeper assuming shoots well. And I think I can always at least get my original investment out of it. I for now am content looking at it for enjoyment until I build some ammo.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedman View Post
    My two favorite powders for full power 375 Win loads are I 4198 and R 7.

Jedman
    Lots of people say those along with 1680.

Boolit Master
    I have a few cans of W680 I need to try in mine.
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Boolit Buddy
    That W680 must be pretty old; the bottle I have is the old steel one with the paper label.
    It is my understanding that W680 and AA1680 are close brothers but I'm not sure that the same data can be used.

Boolit Buddy
    AA1680 works real well in the 218 Bee, the 22 Hornet and in my DW 375 Supermag too.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastleo View Post
    I was truly on the fence about buying it, but after being offered it at 700.00 I decided to drive 5 hrs round trip to grab it. It is probably going to be a keeper assuming shoots well. And I think I can always at least get my original investment out of it. I for now am content looking at it for enjoyment until I build some ammo.
    Well take your time working up the load with cast. I lost my chance at my gun in 81. I was working at a gun shop. Had been looking at it on the rack for weeks. I finally decided to buy it. Next day I went to work I went over to the rack and couldn't find it. Asked the other guy working where it was and he said "I sold it yesterday". My poor heart hit the floor. Anyways about a week later the guy who bought it came in on my shift wanting a scope for it. We put a 4x weaver on it. I told the guy that if he ever wanted to sell it I'd give him exactly what he paid for it. This was late summer of 1981. In September of 82 I took a job in Texas for a sporting goods business called Academy. Was there in Texas until fall of 1985. Spring of 1986 I was working part-time at the same shop when the same guy who bought the 375 comes in and sees me and asks if I'm still interested in buying his gun for same price. I told him yes. Apparently he did not get to do as much hunting as he thought he would and the State had since gone to a draw for big game. He wanted something to shoot prairie dogs with. His rifle was purchased for $150.00 which I gave him in credit towards a Winchester light weight model 70 in 223 Remington and fixed him up with a nice 3x9 Redfield. So I finally got my gun 5 years later. Anyways I'd start with a 12-15 BHN with a powder coat and gas check. Playing with your powder and primers will pay off in getting a good shooting gun with cast be it micro-grooved or not. Yours is likely micro-grooved like mine.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Buddy
    As far as I know, all the Marlin 375's were built with Micro-Groove barrels using 1:12 twist. No idea what the Ruger's, the Savage's or the Winchester's were.
    Mine shoots cast bullets just fine.

Boolit Master
    Has anyone pulled down a factory round as an attempt to find out what Winchester was loading with?
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Fastleo View Post
    Snagged a new to me marlin 375 Winchester, looking for load advice. ThanksAttachment 296610

It’s the bottom rifle, above gun is my 444.
    Nice pair!

I really like that dark wood on the .444
    Scrounging for pb...

USMC 0351

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    im not no ballistics engineer. but this buffalo bore thing
    how is it possible lower pressure equals same performance.
    as I said before my experience with 375 win is the limiting factor is the amount of powder you can get into the shell behind deep seated bullets.
    I guess maybe they are calculating ft lbs of bullet energy, a slower heavier bullet I guess can have more energy at the target than a lighter faster moving bullet.
    It is about the area under the curve, not just the peak pressure.

Imagine a pressure curve the looks like an inverted V...then another more like an inverted U. But then stretch the legs of that U out some.

You can have a lot more push with a powder that gives lower peak pressure, but holds the pressure for a few extra milliseconds.
    Scrounging for pb...

USMC 0351

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by nhithaca View Post
    I also contemplated filing the lead tip down so the bullet would not impact on the primer of the case in front while in the tube mag but you would have to come up with someway to make all the bullets the same weight.
    A fine file and a scale. I can get bullets within a couple tenths of a grain of each other without too much effort.

Tedious? Yes. But for strictly hunting bullets, not a problem.
    Scrounging for pb...

USMC 0351