WidenersRepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Well I lost my job today

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Let me double down on what Doug said. The NRA has online reloading training so you can be certified by them to teach. If you want to do this it is worth getting the certification. It's not only the factual information given but learning how to teach that is worth the effort.
    That’s cool I’m part of the NRA I never knew this I’ll look into this because I’d like to be certified in this

Boolit Master
    Sorry you lost the job but jobs can be had when you're in fair health. Like not after a run in where a sidearm would have helped but wasn't there.

So, I applaud your decision. I carry daily and started when a former business owner lost his mind, literally, and had to go on scrips to be moderately sane. He would stop every few weeks and be nuts if things got out of kilter. I figured he would be the one I needed protection from when he blew a gasket. Nothing came of it and I left that position 20 yrs ago.

I typically leave my long gun in the car tho.

Boolit Master
    As a Gobmt flunky the inability to carry on the bases and installations has been a fact of life and a long term disussion point. We simply comply and move on.

Boolit Master

I would have gotten a smaller gun for deep concealment. Maybe one of those "underwear guns" like Archer uses.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Daekar View Post
    I am torn. Part of me wants to applaud him for standing by his principles and part of me wants to say that it's not a big deal... I have never been allowed to carry at a job and if I took that stance there are precious few places I could go to work.

If more of us were like the OP, things might be better than they are for personal rights.

I know a significant number of people who carry despite the rules. That requires being a hypocrite though, because you're not respecting the right of the owner to dictate what happens on their property.
    Way I look at it that the property owner is not recognizing your right to self-defense. Only place I don't carry something is to the class I go to two nights a week. They high school students there, so I don't take weapons. I do have several other tools, and bits and pieces of metal, however. Knives stay in the car, though that is not strictly speaking legal, either. I don't usually carry a gun because I don't have a CCL. Yet.

Bill

There is a very old legal principal called "respondeat superior" which simply means that the employer is legally and financially responsible for the torts (wrongs) committed by an employee in the course and scope of their employment. This is good law in Texas.

Can an employer take the risk of allowing employees tote handguns at work when the employer is responsible for anything that might happen with that gun? Will his/her insurance company still cover the business under those circumstances?
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Scrounge View Post
    Way I look at it that the property owner is not recognizing your right to self-defense. Only place I don't carry something is to the class I go to two nights a week. They high school students there, so I don't take weapons. I do have several other tools, and bits and pieces of metal, however. Knives stay in the car, though that is not strictly speaking legal, either. I don't usually carry a gun because I don't have a CCL. Yet.

Bill
    If you live in Oklahoma, you don't need a license to carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrounge View Post

Bill
    Under no reading of the law or the Constitution does a person have a right to do whatever they want on the private property of another. Try cussing out the boss and calling it your right of free speech. When you go on private property you are there by some kind of invitations and there are different types of invitations and each one has limits. Go without an invitation and you are a trespasser. If you work for somebody you play by their rules or find work elsewhere.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

You don't need a license to carry in Texas either, but a property owner has the right to say who can or can't carry on their property.

My wife who taught 8 grade English worked with a big time deer hunter who taught science/gym I think. He would get up early, go to his favorite spot, if he shot a deer, he would drop it off with a guy who would clean it. He would then go to school, change and when the school day was over would pick up his iced down processed deer on the way home. Paid the guy with deer meat. To get around the ‘no guns on school property’ laws he always parked his pickup across the street in the grassy Lions parking lot. A pretty good hunting system.

uscra112, Talking rural NC, afaik he never had a problem. But I would agree with you 100% if he was in town.
    Last edited by Baltimoreed; 02-24-2022 at 03:28 PM.

Leaving a gun in a car while at work is a non-starter. Cars are where thieves go to steal guns.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master
    You have no right to carry if a company or business decides that is what they want. I wish people could grasp that.

Anyway, I suspect your employer had other reasons to let you go, and I understand if you not sharing that information. If I am wrong, and they want you back, apologize and get your old job back. Start looking for another job if carrying is important to you.

There are plenty of jobs that do not require a GED. I know a few guys who work concrete. Pay is not bad and on state highway jobs they make $40/hr.

Good luck!
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    There are times where you have to decide which tastes better,shredded wheat or shredded cardboard. As others have stated if you work for someone,Govt agency etc you're bound by their rules. They don't know you from a hole in wall as far as they know you could be the next Son of Sam.

Boolit Master
    forget son of sam. the BTK killer was one of the worst, for goodness sake the guy was president of the church congregation, taunted the cops for decades and cold blooded murdered a whole bunch of people including women and children for no good reason.

regardless. how you say in Texas, you get bucked off you get back on that horse.

I can only speak for my own self. yeah It wasn't all peaches and cream growing up. I never actually finished high school and had to get my GED. but then I worked my way through school, 4 years night school in mechanics 2 years welding and metal fab school while working full time every day. then worked my way through to a college degree working every kind of job I could to pay the bills. and at same time going out to the farm to help out my folks on weekends and holidays.
    then once out of school worked one job turning wrenches from 7-noon then go to the corporate job from 1-10. then eventually built my own repair business while keeping the corporate job.

Boolit Grand Master

Most dont quit or force an employer to fire them with out a new job lined up. My sin learned this the hard way.
    In Ohio when all the requirements are met home schooled are given a certificate / diploma. Weather in school or home schooled there is a test all take to graduate.
    Every where I worked weapons were not allowed on company property. Most over looked the parking lots. But Pushed into a corner they have to maintain the rules. Bars some restaurants gathering over a certain size and others dont allow carry either.

Sorry to hear that.

As a stop gap measure, its pretty easy to get unemployment benefits in Texas.
    I'd work on and get a GED too. Education is the key that will open many doors to new opportunities.

If you're checked out on operating heavy equipment:
    Are willing to move, don't have to check in with a parole officer once a week, and can pass a drug test--
    getting a new job in that field shouldn't be a problem.

It might be hard to do right now- But like those self improvement courses will tell ya:
    Look to the future of where you want to be in 1, 3, and 5 years.

Look for career changing options.
    Check out various grant programs for trade schools such as for HVAC, welders, electricians,
    and maybe driving heavy trucks.

A life long friend was a career Master Plumber, after he got burned out on that, at age 53,
    went to a truck driving school over 10 years ago, got his license,
    and is now doing the higher paying loads on cross country routes carrying HAZMAT stuff and meat.
    He leases his own truck, takes the higher paying routes and cargos that most drivers won't.

I met another guy one time that got a SBA loan and got his own truck, trailer, and Case 580 back hoe.
    He subcontracted out to all the smaller contractors that needed one for a project,
    but didn't need one often enough to buy or rent their own.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 02-24-2022 at 04:12 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    As far as limitations from no diploma or GED, if you are home schooled, I have no doubt you should be able to pass a GED without much prep, , so I would highly recommend you get one! It will definitely make your life easier from the standpoint of job acquisition! I'll also chime in on working for yourself.....if I lost my job, I'd tell everyone that I do work for now to tell everyone you know, I'm in business full time..... I'd be very busy, very quickly! Main reason I don't do that now is benefits and retirement plan, which is pretty sweet with my company.
    Chicken Little has finally found an audience

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    There is a very old legal principal called "respondeat superior" which simply means that the employer is legally and financially responsible for the torts (wrongs) committed by an employee in the course and scope of their employment. This is good law in Texas.

Can an employer take the risk of allowing employees tote handguns at work when the employer is responsible for anything that might happen with that gun? Will his/her insurance company still cover the business under those circumstances?
    He states that the State of Texas is the property owner. A board of directors is making this decision. Does that change anything?
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Quote Originally Posted by metricmonkeywrench View Post
    As a Gobmt flunky the inability to carry on the bases and installations has been a fact of life and a long term disussion point. We simply comply and move on.
    Same position here, but I would not throw away my position so I could carry a pistol at work. Besides, I telework now and I can carry whatever/ whenever I damned well please.

It's always about choices.

I am sure Texas Gun can easily find a new job with higher pay. I dont have a college education, either- I would guess most of us don't.

RE: reloading equipment values...The owner of Huntington Die Specialties told me that special order dies were going for $300 to $500 per set. WOW!
    An Honest Man Keeps His Horse Saddled
    http://www.cardinalguns.com
    http://www.riflehunter.net

Boolit Master
    Did your boss tell you that you lost your job or are you saying you quit your job because they wouldn’t let you carry? If you quit as a matter of principle, you didn’t lose your job, you quit your job. When you are at work you’re on someone else’s property. You have to go with their rules. Most responses here point that out. I carry every day where I’m allowed to carry. I didn’t carry at work because it was against the rules and I was obligated to follow my employer’s rules. It was up to me whether or not I wanted to work there under their rules while on their property.