WidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2Repackbox
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Bygone Era: Old Fashioned Hog Killin'

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by GOPHER SLAYER View Post
    M-Tecs maybe you are right about how easy it is to kill a pig with a .22. I guess that's the reason the men down in Texas who fly around in helicopters are shooting Ruger 10-22s. Come to think of it, they were using ARS in .308 caliber. I guess they just grow a tougher pig in the Lone Star state.
    Shooting a hog or steer in a pen for slaughter is not remotely the same as shooting wild hogs out of a helicopter nor was any part of this thread about anything other than slaughtering livestock as a family event.

As to being right the hundreds of millions and possible billions of hogs and steers slaughtered with a 22 between the 1880's and today is a pretty good indication that the 22 Long and 22 LR was up to the task.

Starting in the 50's safety requirements moved the large packing plants away from 22's to other stun methods but the smaller operations still use 22LR today. For a while they were required to used 22 Shorts but the 22 Short was not ideal and that limitation was removed (to the best on my knowledge). For Bolonga Bulls a 22 Mag is recommended since some of those go over 2,000.

Yup a 22 totally is not up to the task...................

Would I helicopter hunt wild hogs with a 22LR? No. Would I use a 22 on live trapped wild hogs? Definitely
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 02-15-2022 at 08:17 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

We butcher every year, used to be twice a year around Thanksgiving helping a lifelong family friend and then Dad always 2nd Sat in Dec . Dad has got to where it's hard for him getting around plus after having a Quadruple bypass he doesn't need a pile of hog meat . We just help our friend every year . This is this past Nov , Dad is on the right Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211120_102956.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	59.9 KB 
ID:	296404

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Boolit Buddy

We always used 22 shorts to kill hogs with. The 22 short would do the job with one well placed shot. They would drop down on the ground and the stick man would roll them on their side to expose the jugular vein and make one insertion and they would bleed out. We also saved the brains[after removing the 22 short lead particles] to have with scrambled eggs the next morning. Remember the old saying about hog killing that the only thing we didn't use was the squeal. Man that was some great memories.

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    Quote Originally Posted by owejia View Post
    We also saved the brains[after removing the 22 short lead particles] to have with scrambled eggs the next morning. Remember the old saying about hog killing that the only thing we didn't use was the squeal. Man that was some great memories.
    When I was young I loved Brains and Eggs fo breakfast! My Mom made them for me!
    Now you can't even find a place that sells them! No more Kidneys No more Lungs, No More Brains & no more blood sausage! The best parts have been taken away from us Americans!
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Grand Master

I never cared for Brains and Eggs. Dad really liked them. I do like head cheese with brains. We never saved the blood but friends would make blood cake. Their version looked like a brownie. It was not my thing. What I miss the most is homemade liver sausage. I still have friends that do a lot of home slaughtering and I get a ring here and there but not nearly enough to keep me satisfied. I still occasionally do a hog but no large family get-together's and I don't have a large smoker. The family liver sausage was lost and I have not found one that I like as much. Most of them produce product much more like Liverwurst.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

Cool beans.

We butchered 7, 275 pound hogs last weekend.

Old school.
    Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Boolit Master

Boolit Master

Boolit Master

Every brand of .22 single shot was called a pig gun, cause that's what all of 'em were killed with . Never cared for the brains myself !
    Loved those hams rubbed down with brown sugar and salted for a week or so, then hung in the smokehouse with hickory smoldering -wish I'd paid more attention to what Gramps was doing 60 years ago ! All those parts you can't find anymore - they're in the hot dogs and boloney at the grocery store ..

Boolit Mold
    There is a local to me outfit that has a Facebook site called Meadow Museum. It is located in Meadow north carolina ..Bunch of good ole boys, a little long in the tooth who have a l country museum dedicated to old time farm life
    They do a traditional hog killing every year. If you search for it there is a ton of pictures on the various steps involved . I don't know how to post a link

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

My personal favorite out of the pudding kettle is the tounge. Kidney and heart are OK. I wish I more pictures of when Dad was butchering. Butchering day is one of the best family and friends get together that I know of and probably the hardest work you do all year . We just help our friend every year , his son and grandkids do the shooting , but I'm still the sticking man . My Old Hickory 6" boning knife does a good job , still keep my eye out for a sticker .

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Boolit Master

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bannister View Post
    Thanks

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Butchering, Barn raising also houses, grinding flours and grains, clearing fields were all at one time community projects where everyone came together. Its a rel shame they are gone. Hard work yes but a good time and brought the community together in a positive way.

Where the pld time barn dances originated from.

Very few farms had all the equipment needed for some chores so they came together and got er done using what everyone had as a group. ANother is butchering isnt a clean neat job so when doing it 1 animals or 10 the mess isnt much different. Families worked together kids women men all had their jobs and tasks. I can remember chunking up meat and fat trimming for the meat grinder making sausage with hogs or hamburger with cattle. One of the neighbor girls was there mixing spices and seasoning for each batch beside me.

Boolit Master

Mmmmmmmm!

Pudding.

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    No Part of a pig is inedible ! Some may need more courage than others ..... but it all tastes good!
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington