Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
WidenersSnyders JerkyLoad DataReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions wanted for a youth model .22

Boolit Buddy

Opinions wanted for a youth model .22

So my oldest is at the age where he's ready to carry something in the woods more than a bb gun. My .22s are still too long and heavy for him, so I'm looking at the youth models. I'm not interested in crickets or little rascals as I'd like to get something that can grow with him a little more than those. We're not near anyplace that I can take him to try out different ones to see what fits him best and the inventory at LGS is low so I can't even really find one for him to hold. Not an ideal situation.

It seems that I'm gonna have to make an educated guess and hope whatever sounds like a good fit will be what I get and hope it works for him. I'm kinda thinking a lever like the henry golden boy youth or a bolt gun like a compact ruger american. I know a 10/22 is typically a good option but is less interesting to me. Thoughts?

Boolit Master
    The local gun shop gave my daughter a Hot Shot when she was 3 or 4 - 16 years ago. Sort of drug dealer style, first dose is free.....
    That little single shot with a peep has given dozens of kids countless hours of fun. It's started off more kids than I can count. (and some adults!!)
    They're not quite as elegant as a nice Stevens or Remington single shot, but they're durable and function flawlessly. The hammer spur was recently broken, but that is the extent of any issues that I have had with it.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm not wild about starting a youngster, or anyone really, out with a semi-auto.

If I were in your shoes right now, I think I would try to find an older quality rifle with not too long a barrel that I could find an extra stock for. Cut down one stock for now, and when he grows, put the other one on the rifle.

That being said, I have never seen any Mossberg .22 that didn't think it was a target rifle in disguise.

Robert

Boolit Master

Henry 22 youth model. Cheap enough you can even have the stock cut to size, got one for my grandson and it works great.

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Single shot .22s with open sights were sort of traditional when I was a kid.
    Some of the rich kids also got a single shot .410 along in there too.

I've still got the youth size 1902 Winchester single shot that was handed down to me.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 02-19-2022 at 04:36 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

CZ457 Scout. Comes with a single shot dummy filler in the magwell. Can upgrade to the 5 and 10 rounders when you decide to trust him.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    CZ457 Scout. Comes with a single shot dummy filler in the magwell. Can upgrade to the 5 and 10 rounders when you decide to trust him.
    This!

Boolit Buddy
    The Ruger American Rimfire Compact is another bolt action to check out. Really a good shooting rifle for a very reasonable price, and the youth stock is easy to alter to fit a grownup. Uses the same magazine as a 10-22.

I'm old & like blued steel & wood (preferably walnut). When my son became interested in shooting I lucked-up on an Ithaca 49 (single shot that looks like a repeater). It had a bad chip on the stock butt. I shortened it (removed the chipped part), made a butt plate & upgraded the sights. That gun taught my son, his younger brother & numerous cousins to shoot. I just lucked into another one lately that needs a firing pin: it'll soon be ready for a great grandson (with supervision).

Also a Mossberg 142A would be great: shorted the stock as needed & save what you removed to be glued back on later. I have two granddaughters that learned on a Mossberg 142A & they outshoot all of my grand children (I didn't shorten the stock for them). Of course when they married the Mossbergs went with them.

Boolit Buddy
    behind the lines of enemy territory,60 miles from NYC
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    I'm not wild about starting a youngster, or anyone really, out with a semi-auto.

If I were in your shoes right now, I think I would try to find an older quality rifle with not too long a barrel that I could find an extra stock for. Cut down one stock for now, and when he grows, put the other one on the rifle.

That being said, I have never seen any Mossberg .22 that didn't think it was a target rifle in disguise.

Robert
    I couldn't put it any better than this, but want to add, my boys outgrew their single shot in 2 trips to the range. A good bolt action repeater on the other hand, is forever
    (the gun they outgrew was a marlin 15yn BTW its very accurate and I'm holding on to it waiting for grandsons)

Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    The local gun shop gave my daughter a (T/C) Hot Shot when she was 3 or 4 - 16 years ago.

I bought one for my youngest grandson.

Here's a review by a youngster: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgF9uKILQnM

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Buddy
    Another vote for the CZ.

I too bought a Marlin 15Y for the grandkids. Still have it. Scoped, it's as accurate as some of my "adult" .22s, and was a breeze to carry in the woods. Hoping to live to start a great-grandson on it!

IMHO semi-autos are never a good choice. Not only do they teach bad habits, but the cycling of the action is a distraction when you're trying to teach them follow-through.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

In my opinion starting a youth out with a semi auto .22lr is just starting another "spray and pray" shooter. They need to learn the discipline of sight picture and trigger control at the very start of their rifle training. A single shot, or bolt action would be my advice, or maybe a lever. Anything but a semi auto. My brother and I taught gun safety and shooting classes for a while to young children in the community after a tragic accident involving one of the local children. One small child shot and killed another small child with an "unloaded" pistol from a nightstand drawer. You would be very surprised how quickly young children can pick up on the correct safety and handling procedures. Also, we had several children that became excellent shots from the 4 shooting positions we taught them. We used the safe shooting booklet we requested and received from Daisey Corporation and the shooting from what the Marine Corps had taught us. We taught almost 100% of the children in the neighborhood and even some of the mothers who became interested in gun safety. Start them right and they will bloom as shooters. my .02 anyway, james

Boolit Bub
    Another vote for the CZ, you can always put it in another stock

Boolit Master
    Yet another for the CZ scout worth every penny. Cricket is just too small and has to be cocked every shot which most kids don't have the hand strength for.

Boolit Master
    When my kids were reaching that age was stationed in Germany. The Canadian R&G near us had an Anchutz Achiever, sort of a low end target rifle, with an adjustable butt stock. The stock used spacers to lengthen the pull as the kids got bigger. With a cheap Tasco 4x it shot, well, like an Anchsutz. My kids and many other have used this rifle and with an additional spacer so have some adults, including me. My kids are grown but do have grand kids, so figured I was set for when my grand kid were old enough. Good plan EXCEPT my grandson is left handed. Lucked onto a nice Rem 581 LH but stock length is still an issue. When he gets big enough will have to determine if and how much to shorten the stock as it is unlikely I can find another LH stock to use.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Tazman1602 View Post
    Henry 22 youth model. Cheap enough you can even have the stock cut to size, got one for my grandson and it works great.

Art
    Art,
    I surely agree. I bought a Henry H001 a couple years ago and is earmarked for my granddaughter, she'll probably be ready for it in a few years. BUT, the days of inexpensive Henry's are gone. Last week, I was at the LGS (same place I bought my H001 for $269) and they just got some Henrys in and had them on the shelf, one standard H001 and one H001Y (Youth stock) and they were both priced at $499. and a 44 big boy tactical (plastic stock) for $1100.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

How do I put a Joe Biden "I Did That" sticker on the previous post?
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    I have a single shot Marlin boys rife In great shape if you are interested in making me an offer. I bought it for my son back the early 1990s very little shot he graduated to the big gun right quick
    Jim

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Marlin Y-15leftside.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	16.1 KB 
ID:	296600
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Marlin Y-15rightside.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	15.3 KB 
ID:	296601
    Last edited by JWFilips; 02-20-2022 at 08:19 PM.
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington